Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:27:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPylo Nouveau
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pylo Nouveau  (Read 5429 times)
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:32:05 PM »

hey peeps

Pylo Nouveau is a game about a little dragon who shoots things and jumps around and does super fun stuff like that. It's neat. It's being developed by Grit, with me acting as an artist and art director-type person and music being composed by Patt-Ytto. I should mention that not all the levels have original music yet so some of them have placeholder music from other games for the time being.

Demo Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12569614/Pylo%20Nouveau.rar
(updated hosting site because the other host wasn't so great)
Everything Completed Save Download (for people who beat an older demo): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12569614/pysave
Stage 2-1 Gameplay Video

(thanks to AuthenticKaizen!)

The current release only goes up to the end of world 2 and has 10 levels and a couple of towns you can chill around in. The game also includes a nifty manual styled like a GBA manual in full color with lots of original artwork so check it out ok :<

Anyway Grit is planning on running a devlog of the game on his site so I'm planning on keeping this thread updated from time to time with images, artwork, and concept stuff from the game. So that it will be an actual devlog instead of a dumping ground for super infrequent game builds. We'll see how that turns out. Bleh.

Here's some images from the current build of the game:

uh these are kinda huge

Grit and I are starting on world 3 right away so hopefully I can keep you peeps updated as we go. Oh and feel free to offer up any advice or report any bugs if you see them. We always appreciate that~
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:49:09 PM by gauthier » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »

Wasn't there already a devlog for this?
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »

Wasn't there already a devlog for this?
Yeah there was, but this is a new release with lots more stuff in it and the old devlog is from 18 months ago so BLAH

DONT PUT ME ON THE SPOT MISTER 'C'

MaloEspada
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »

>omnilith devlog
>pylo is alive
>fangirl squeal
>yes!!!!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »

Will my old save file still work? I had everything completed in the build from the old devlog. That secret area was hard.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »

mmm, probably not unfortunately : (

pylo's saves have a bad habit of not working after the game is edited a bit. since i know there are a few people who completed the old demo I'll provide a save file that has all the areas and secrets unlocked. just put the save into the same folder as the game's executable and you'll be able to load it by continuing the game. that way you'll still be able to experience all the levels and stuff without having to beat world 1 again. go ahead and grab it from here

I'll throw it in the first post too

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »

alright time for an actual devlog update woo

Grit and I are currently working on the first stage of the third world, Sunset Dunes. In this stage Pylo sells out and embraces the artgame silhouette style. ARTY

So in the first area of the stage the sun goes down, things go dark, cacti turn into spiders, basically all the expected stuff. This also allows Grit and I to totally make gimmicks based on this visual style.

Case in point: the second area of the stage consists of a mole town. Normally you can't see their tunnels going around underground; all you see of them is a small divot in the ground marking their entrance. When Pylo enters any particular tunnel its walls fade and he can see where he's going. By exploring around underground, he will trigger the moles' alarm system, which causes them to awaken from their burrows and dig out new tunnels that allow Pylo to progress in the stage. This all sounds very esoteric but uh hopefully it is pretty easy to figure out when playing the stage.

Also the boss of the stage is a cactus/tank hybrid for some reason

And there will be more to the stage but this is what we have for now.
EDIT: Oh, I should say that AuthenticKaizen awesomely went out of his way to make a

for us. So check it out if you're curious about seeing the game in action before downloading it or whatever!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:47:40 PM by gauthier » Logged

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »

I'm sure it'll be fine if the divot is obvious enough. Though maybe you can add a sort of underground background for the tunnels. It doesn't really seem sensible that you'd be able to see the sunset underground and all, heh.

Also why isn't the cactus tank a cactus spider thank. That'd be totally more consistent!

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
poe
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »

Great art, good difficulty, and it has me won.
Congrats probably one of the best Game Maker games I've played.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »

oh hey after forever its time for an UPDATE

grit and i finally finished level 3-1. we're really slow as you can tell. so here's what we did to finish up the stage

Cactank is done, and it is one jolly fellow. it'll roll around, giggle, and.. uh.. spawn a group of mini-cactanks that attempt to hit pylo by exploding in a horrible fiery hell-plume. try not to think about that one too much!

patch has the same problem as everyone here.

then things get fancy with spikes shooting out of walls and requisite quicksand being around.

...and finally the sun finishes setting and things get easier on the old corneas.

ok, so up next is a fancy desert town full of giant grotesque scarab beetles capable of bashing pylo's skull in by controlling horrible floating jagged rocks. good thing they're on his side~

THEN
after that is a deep jungle full of brambles. it is creatively named BRAMBLE JUNGLE.

MaloEspada
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »

why do i sense donkey kong vibes specially reading BRAMBLE JUNGLE

in any case this looks lovely as always, and the sunset->night transition is an awesome detail  Kiss
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »

Yeah, I played your demo - it played very professionally. It really did feel like a very well drawn and animated GBA game - keep working on it. I especially like this nighttime change - it looks really well-done (but don't make it too dark!).

Jellyd0ts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 06:02:52 AM »

Hey, is this game still being made? I imagine after so many years it would probably not be active, but I figured I'd ask Tongue
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »

Grit hasn't worked on it for over 4 years and I've moved on to other projects, so it is unlikely that it will be finished.  Sad

Cripes, reading how I used to type is so embarrassing lol

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic