Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:26:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCalifornia Office
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: California Office  (Read 11799 times)
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »

[I have edited this old post]

This is a game my friend "Over" and me stopped to work in some years ago. Now we are investing some time on it again and hopefully we will finish it.

All the the feedback will be welcome Gentleman
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:07:58 AM by Loover » Logged
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 01:00:34 AM »

I read your blog, so I saw this stuff earlier this morning.

It looks really awesome. I wish I could afford an artist.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:31:56 AM »

Thank you very much for the comment!

Well, I can afford this artist because is my friend :D and he made me a special prize.

But I'm working hard also in the graphics... so hard! That background is mine. And the strange object with the surf table is a modification of some objects that my friend sent me. David Ferriz and Antonio Pastor from DevilishArt are working more in objects (that I usually change a bit because I'm a bit maniatic) and in all the animations (where they are really the masters and I never touch anything). I think they two made a great work designing the characters.

There are... 9 characters.

It's true that's difficult to find an artist without being able to pay him, the best way to achive one is to try to finish a good prototype game and design doc. I think Alec and Derek started like this, with a prototype of Alec... and well... look the game they are quite finishing (I can not wait to play it!).

My design doc has more than 40 pages and is still growing :S, I did it like a wiki in order the rest of the team be able to read and modify it as needed.

I really want to finish this game and keep working in new ideas... to much time! How hard is to finish a game!

I'm really happy that some of you are reading my blog, I will try to make more Tutorials! I promise!
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:51:02 AM »

Wow, looking good! The background is definitely my favorite, it's very bright and friendly.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:49:01 AM »

Iris Green (The Pacifist Green Peace Lover): She is a very extremist activist, and never hesitate at claiming about the rights of all kind of protected species, the reduction of pollution and the great danger that human beings impose upon Mother Earth. She is a vegetarian, she only has 100% natural products. She rarely has a shower, to save water. Makes her own soap and recycles everything, including her neighbours rubbish. She shares her flat with 6 hamsters, 2 dogs, 3 cats and a goose. The problem is the lack of a garden at home, so it has a very characteristic smell…

More info about the game at www.indierover.com

PS: Please! I really need some help for fixing my errors in english!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:27:01 PM by Loover » Logged
Josepho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 03:46:52 AM »

I like a lot how is going this game, the graphics are very nice (maybe too bigfish style) and it seems to be very funny

-------------
Questtracers - Indie flash games!
http://www.questtracers.com/
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 12:28:29 AM »

Still working on this! And now that I have some holidays I will be full time. Here you have all the characters of the game (drawn by Devilish Art).

And here some of the menus I did myself:

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:02:43 AM »

New shoot!

This is one of the 4 californian beaches the game have. The water, the palms, the smoke and the grass are animated.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »

very cool shot, love the art, but, you've obviously never been to the beach here :D :D

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 09:28:07 AM »

Looking better every time!
I'm still wonderin when we'll have a demo for this... Wink
Later!

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 12:46:04 AM »

Thank you for the feedback Smiley

very cool shot, love the art, but, you've obviously never been to the beach here :D :D

That's true Tongue I was thinking more in "Canarias Island's" mixed with Hawai than in California that I only know thanks to "Baywatch"... I should have given a place in my game to Mitch Bucanan... or better Pamela Anderson :D

The game will have 3 months, and each day will be a different stage. In fact, from monday to friday you will be working in an office, being the man that takes cares of all the small details (making coffes, calling by phone to the pizzeria, fixing the machines). On weekends, if you do a good work and collect the bonus-stars, you will be able to play weekends and holidays on the beach. There will be 3 different offices, 3 beaches and a ship.

These days I started the scripting of the stages, the funny thing is that are fully configurable and I'm trying to make each day (stage) the most different that I can. For example one day I will say that the machines are crazy because an electrical storm and you will be all the time fixing them, other day I will say that it is really hot, so you will be all the time putting water in the plants, etc.

I let you with an "in-game" image of the third stage, only 3 of 8 workers. It still needs lot of work in several small details. And I still don't like the road, I have to "cartoonize" it.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 08:36:45 AM »

This is one of the comic pages. For sure it will have some language mistake. Will you fix them please?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 09:53:41 AM »

Looks good! Smiley

The only glaring English error is in the last panel, on the newspaper.  You can change it to this:

"Economist Lisa Worker wins the annual Business Management Competition!"
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 10:37:23 AM »

Thank you Derek! I'll fix this.

And good news for California Office... it has been nominated for the Art Futura awards in Barcelona (Spain). http://www.artfutura.org/v2/index.php?&lang=En If some of you are in Spain, please come to the event! It will be october 28th.

I will post a video of the game play soon! I promise!

I let you with some animations:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:54:00 AM by Loover » Logged
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »

Here it is a flash animation of the first beach. More or less  will be like this in the game (I have to fix a problem with the waves):

http://www.pixelartgames.com/temporal/co_beach_02.html
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 08:53:25 AM »

Looking good!
My only concern with that screenshot is how the blue of the HUD blends too much with the scenery. I'd change the color a bit to make the definition between the game area and the HUD alot clearer. Besides that everything is lookin' good.
Later!

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 10:30:57 AM »

Thank you for the advice Guert, I will fix it Wink

I'm happy to say that California Office won one of the "special mention" awards of Art Futura 2007 game contest in Barcelona (http://www.noticiasjuegos.com/2007/10/29/videojuegos-ganadores-del-art-futura-2007/). The award I received is called "Juego con Chispa Especial", that has a difficult translation into english but more or less means "Funny game".

We hope to finish the game in less than 2 months!

Video of the game! (some gameplay of the office and scenes from the beach maps)

Please, let me know your impresions about the video!

And a picture of myself receiving the award:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:54:13 PM by Loover » Logged
Tr00jg
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »

Congrats man!
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »

Thank you Tr00jg!

I forgot to say that the people from Media Molecule were there in ArtFutura and they showed us some gameplay of Little Big Planet... it was great! What a game!
Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »

I'm looking forward to play this one. Very nice graphics, with personality also. When will we have a demo? Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic