Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:13:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)POLYCODE (2D and 3D engine)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: POLYCODE (2D and 3D engine)  (Read 27581 times)
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »

No, thankyou for creating this haha.  Gentleman

However i'm still having problems understanding how to build polycode files such as .polyapp and .mesh. Personally i don't find the learning section very helpful regarding these two areas (the section on building standalone .polyapp files links to a seemingly random article on another site), though it just might not be my way of doing things as i prefer step by step tutorials.

I would love to be using this more, and currently this is the only reason i'm unable to.

Sakar
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »

I would love to try this, but the player crashes on my computer (Windows 7 64bit). Does it not work on 64bit?
Nix
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »

Are there plans to develop some sort of contribution system (to make it easier for other people to help you out with development), or do you want to keep doing it all by yourself? (Or are you at least actively accepting useful pull requests on GitHub?)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »

Nugsy:

This is the guide for building polyapp files. Let me know what you find unclear about it.

http://polycode.org/learning/lua_setup

Nix:

Yeah, I accept github pull requests. There are two right now pending a merge and a one more on the way. So, please jump right in and help develop if you would like!

Sakar:
There are issues on 64-bit windows machines right now, yes. I am trying to fix it in the upcoming release.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »

I'm porting some of my engine code into polycode.

We'll see how it works.

Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »

Still Disappointed I cant get this working in eclipse... Installing Visual Studio now.

Jeez did I really sign up 6 years ago?

Still making games. One day i'll get something done.

Tools: PHP/JS/HTML5/Unity3D/C#/LibGDX/Gimp/Photoshop
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »

Still Disappointed I cant get this working in eclipse... Installing Visual Studio now.
I've ALMOST got it working with mingw.

Wait what does eclipse use to compile C++?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »

MiniGW

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 06:05:10 AM »

@Ivan - This is the area i don't understand.

Download the "Command Line Build Tools" package for your operating system and extract it to a folder. Add the Bin folder of the package to your path (Windows instruction, Linux/Mac instruction) so you can run the build tool from anywhere.

When i search for the build tools for my OS (Windows XP), i get many results and i'm not entirely sure which one i should be downloading. Also, i can see how this link is relevant, but i don't really understand what it is telling me to do. Where do i add polycode? Do i make a new environment variable, or do i add polycode to an existing variable?

I think these things should be made clearer in the tutorial. The rest of the tutorial is fine, but seeing as this is pretty much the main area in setting up polycode to run standalone, i think it should be made clearer.

Coffee

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:05 AM »

Sorry, it means the "Polycode Lua Standalone Build Tools" from here: http://polycode.org/downloads/ I'll make it clearer in the tutorial.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 06:42:08 AM »

Aha! Thankyou! I'll be giving this a go now. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Edit: Wait, i already have the build tools, which is how i have been compiling projects by using a shortcut to polybuild.exe. What i don't understand is how to make it compile in the way you have, by using environment variables. I'm also not entirely sure about using polyimport.exe to create .mesh files. Smiley

Sorry for being a derp. Durr...?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:24:43 AM by Nugsy » Logged

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »

Has anyone managed to get Polycode working in Code::Blocks? I'm currently having linker issues. Search directories seem OK, but the library doesn't actually link.

I'm about ready to go command-line, here.  Waaagh!

Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »

Has anyone managed to get Polycode working in Code::Blocks? I'm currently having linker issues. Search directories seem OK, but the library doesn't actually link.

I'm about ready to go command-line, here.  Waaagh!

I'm having the same, as I use Eclipse. I cant seem to set up the Build Path the way it wants. Eclipse is Picky like that.

Johnman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011, 04:44:52 AM »

I never quite liked SFML for some reason and I've been playing with this idea in my mind for a long time now, including Flash-like parenting of display objects, packaging, LUA and the Bullet/Box2D combo Shocked.

Of course I could've never come close to making such a great job as you did, so I'm really happy you made this. I suspect this is becoming my favorite C++ framework.

THANK YOU!
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2011, 02:09:45 AM »

I'd dedicating some time to add some features I need and I think everyone will welcome.

Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2011, 02:39:41 AM »

I've ALMOST got it working with mingw.

Wait what does eclipse use to compile C++?

GCC as I recall though I had the choice of a few including mingw. I'm just having issues setting up the build path. C++ is all new to me so I figure its expected.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2011, 07:10:22 PM »

I'd dedicating some time to add some features I need and I think everyone will welcome.

Like what? I'd love to hear about what you have planned!

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »

My goals with polycode, in decreasing order of priority:

- Add a mingw build target (already in my Polycode fork, though you have to do some env variable stuff to compile I haven't documented yet)

- Create a single template project that compiles out of the box for mac, win, linux (wip on bitbucket... it still crashes)

- SDL, if you select full screen and set the screen size as 0,0, it will automatically set the window size to the current screen height and width. I want to add this feature and also a feature where you can get the current monitor hz rate (using wossname's code posted in grumpy programmer room awhile back)

- Just a tad more pie in the sky, but should be feasible: Polycore has its C++ library, and its LUA library. I want to set it up where I have both engines in one executable, such that I can write a program partially in C++ and partially in LUA. My dream is something like being able to embed LUA into my xml level data to describe the behavior of entities, etc., without having to sacrifice putting the graphics code etc in C++.

- OMG VSYNC

Now, given, any of these things, if someone else gets to them first, I will be happy at the opportunity to avoid work Tongue However, if no one else gets there by the time I do, I'm doing them... or hoping to try...

I'd be curious what Rob is planning to add.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:00:50 PM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 12:24:10 AM »

Why all the singletons
Code:
CoreServices::getInstance()->getResourceManager()->
instead of just namespaced free functions? Is this used for something cool that I missed in the example?

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 12:51:19 AM »

Sounds like they are trying to avoid multiple entry points to the singleton. You *can* get a resource manager via a singleton, but I bet the majority of the internal code simply uses a resource manager pointer, and is singleton unaware.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic