Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1044532 Posts in 42328 Topics- by 34017 Members - Latest Member: Rxanadu

September 21, 2014, 12:09:45 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderators: Glaiel-Gamer, ThemsAllTook)"Carve" in sketchup?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Carve" in sketchup?  (Read 3367 times)
Amon26
Level 4

Amon26 amon_desiree20000
View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »

This isn't specifically a game related question but I imagine the answer could also be useful to 3d modeling in games.

I'm making a 3d model in sketchup with plans to have it 3d printed as a toy.  I want it to have moving parts (canopy, wheels, flaps) I've separated and modeled the parts I want to move, but I need to add the hinges to connect the parts. 

I wonder if there's a way other than "intersect model" to perhaps put a cylinder into the body, acting as the hinge, connect it to the moving part, and tell sketchup to "carve" the shape of the cylinder out of the body so once I move the cylinder/part away from the body there's a perfect hole where the cylinder once occupied

maybe this can't be done in sketchup but does anyone have any good leads/tutorials on how I could learn to do something like this?  Anything would help.

Much thanks <3
-Amon26
Daid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »

This is a feature of the Sketchup PRO version: http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/product/newin8.html (scroll a bit down to "solid tools"

Amon26
Level 4

Amon26 amon_desiree20000
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:55:58 PM »

Hmm i see! so the function's called Trim that I'm looking for. could this be accomplished in something like blender or that sort?
---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »

Boolean subtraction is available in most 3D modelling programs that aren't surface editors (Anim8or). I know Rhino 3D has it, but that's not free. There is, however, a free trial, so you might want to look at that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic