Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:36:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJAM UK 5 - 15th-17th July - Cambridge, UK (18 tickets left)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: TIGJAM UK 5 - 15th-17th July - Cambridge, UK (18 tickets left)  (Read 21702 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »

Hello!

I'm thinking of rounding up a gaggle of like-minded chums and popping along (we're all Cambridge-based).
Oh, cool!  Would be great if ye came along for sure.

Never been to anything like this before, and I'm still fairly green at indie development in general, so I suppose two obvious questions come to mind:
  • Is there anywhere I can read about what has gone on at previous TIGJAM events? Pictures would be amazing!
There are some photos around the forum.  Here's a set from the jam January of last year.  People (usually) upload games made at them here.

• Does it matter that most of the people in my group would be fairly amateur-level at most aspects? I'd rather not spend a whole weekend pissing people off by being stupid.
No, that's cool!  So long as ye're willing to keep an open mind things should go fine.  There're lots of different tools that people can use to make games for people with different levels of technical knowledge, and people are, so far as I've seen, always willing to help out other people when Things Go Wrong (with one exception that comes to mind of me before breakfast one morning).  

What sort of experience do ye have with games-making stuff?  Any sort of things ye want to work on over the weekend? (it's ok if you have no projects in mind - there'll be a lot of short themed jams going on that most people will probably participate in).

If you're around Cambridge, you know that we meet up every Tuesday? ( see here for more info).  

EDIT: Just realised I posted on the TIGJam UK3 thread asking the first of those questions. Consider it answered.
I answered as I read from top to bottom. OH WELL.

Quote from: mogster
Dont have a laptop to work on mah game.. :< Guess mah sketchbook will have to do if i can get their.
You might have a bit of a hard time without a laptop.  Though, there was an illustrator at the last one who brought along a scanner and he managed to have some fun.  Were I to go laptopless, I'd probably focus on doing board-game stuff when there.
MurrayL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »

I wish I'd known about the regular meets a few months ago!!

Personally, in terms of development tools, I've done bits and bobs in Flash (never used Flixel or FlashPunk though) and XNA, as well as having a passion for AGS.
I'm not too shabby at arty stuff either, given the tools!

Sounds like I might have to co-opt my netbook for some dev hardware, but I adore board games (I started the board game society at my university a couple of years ago).
increpare
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »

A quick bump.   Gomez Gomez
MurrayL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 12:17:24 AM »

I'll be buying my tickets in the next few days, I promise! Smiley
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »

I'm afraid I've been much more of a lurker here, that is until I saw the latest TigJam UK a week ago and realized I'd be in the country around the same time. I'd definitely be very interested in going, making stuff and meeting some interesting peoples.

I take it it's not like a Game Jam though where you get a theme, so I was wondering if people typically do collabs or continue work on something they've already started or wha? I have some small game ideas I'd love to make to take a break from what I'm doing atm, or even helping people out, although I don't know how much help I could be!
increpare
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 02:27:53 AM »

Hello!

Lo
I take it it's not like a Game Jam though where you get a theme, so I was wondering if people typically do collabs or continue work on something they've already started or wha? I have some small game ideas I'd love to make to take a break from what I'm doing atm, or even helping people out, although I don't know how much help I could be!
Ok, so there're roughly three streams of activity going on in a jam at any point at previous tigjam uks -

1: mini-jams - we tend to have a bunch of three-hourly jams (3/4 a day), themed (pick three themes out of a hat, people can chose any of them, or none, to make a game from).  Some people participate in lots of these over the course of the weekend, either alone or in collaboration.  Most people won't do all of the jams, but most will participate in a few.  Some will keep on working on the mini-jam games well past the 3 hours.
2: people working on pre-existing projects
3: people talking/eating/&c.

#1 is the main focus of the jam.  So yeah, if you have small ideas you'd like to try out, this would be a good environment in which to prototype them Smiley
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »

Awesome; 3 hours is indeed challenging! I'll see if I can work out all ze details to come. Beer!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:18:08 AM by McG » Logged
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »

Just bought a ticket for myself! My brother Adam (artist) and his friend Catherine (also artist) are both coming too, should be a super weekend. Might get our Grimoire on in the gaps between jams.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:02:45 PM by SFBTom » Logged

increpare
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »

Groovy!
increpare
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »

TIGJAM ATTENDEES if you are living in cambridge, and can offer places to sleep for the friday/saturday of the jam, please get in touch ASAP.  There's been some mishaps with the hostel booking, and there aren't many inexpensive places to stay in cambridge.

(If you put your name down for a hostel, we'll be in touch within the next 24 hours with options available )

edit: all sorted out now.  phew.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:37:48 AM by increpare » Logged
Lez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »

Edit: Scratch that, wont be able to make it after all. Perhaps next year.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:15:32 AM by Lez » Logged
increpare
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »

Groovy : )
Pinkapplejam
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »

Hi folks ^^
I joined the forums to say hello, I will be at CB2 over the weekend for the Jam. I'll be doing a new spritesheet for an older game by Rikfuzz, reskinning Smiley
I'll be sat in the corner eavesdropping on the creativity and stealing some for myself Smiley Hehe!
Have a good one Smiley
Jordan
Level 1

One time known as Flaming Pear.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »

My PayPal account has been limited due to my trying to pay for things while traveling... is it possible to just pay for the £10.00 ticket in cash in person?

increpare
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »

My PayPal account has been limited due to my trying to pay for things while traveling... is it possible to just pay for the £10.00 ticket in cash in person?

Sure.  Registered you a ticket.  You should have gotten a mail about it.
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »

Getting pumped for the jam! WOOHOO!  Hand Metal LeftGrin:toastR:

increpare
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »

Smiley

[ I should send around a mail sometime over the next couple of days about this with some Last Minute Advice + confirmation ]
dertom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »

Argh, I ordered an uk->euro-connector/converter/adapter at amazon on monday
but it seems that it won't make it to me before I'm leaving on Friday.  Cry
(Should have heard on Stoney's advice...)
I know that stoney have one and I will bring an (euro)multiway-connector along.
Just to remind others who might have the same problem or own an adapter to
bring theirs to the cb2 as well...That would be just great!

Looking forward and I'm already quite excited...  Toast Left Toast Right Beer!

Check out my game "Wood Games 3D" |  TrailerAndroid |
twitter: tomaga95
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »

Looking forward to it, too - got to spend tomorrow making sure my laptop's all set up ready for jamming again Smiley

Are any/many interested in a pub/curry night on either Friday or Saturday?

increpare
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 08:42:20 AM »

Are any/many interested in a pub/curry night on either Friday or Saturday?

Coordinating indies for trips to pubs is extremely difficult, but I anticipate there will be many groups of us going for food at various times. : )  (I'd be up for Saturday - people will probably be arriving all friday so I should try be around for the whole of it).
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic