Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:47:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 46712 times)
Headless Man
« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »

If the Wii U controller has a stand you could probably actually use it as a Kinect variant because of the camera.  Wonder if they have something like that in mind.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 16, 2011, 09:22:40 PM »

I doubt it, the camera must be really low-quality, like the one in the 3DS.
Headless Man
« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2011, 09:32:32 PM »

All three or the 3DS cameras are 640 x 480 - same as the Kinect camera.  I don't know what hz they are (I don't know what hz is) but Kinect is 30 hz - which doesn't sound like anything extraordinary.  I imagine the 3Ds/weewoo cameras would be decent enough if they can do AR.
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »

People who don't like Nintendo love predicting Nintendo's death.

I certainly hope you're not painting me with that assumption.
Considering how I was talking about that guy just wanting an excuse to bash Mario/Metroid/Zelda, no. I wasn't talking about you, but people who love predicting Nintendo's death since the N64 days.

I thought you were being suggestive, so never mind.

Which games don't? Games with really long opening scenes? Games with unending tutorials? Because even games which take literally years for people to become really good at them (like Virtua Fighter) can be played for "instant gratification". You don't need to understand the "metagame" to enjoy most games that are deemed too hardcore, I've seen people play Tekken or Killzone like they're playing Mario Party. And then you have people breaking world records in freaking Mario Kart.

I never said any particular game doesn't but rather what type of game satiates what type of player. I'm not even remotely talking about metagaming.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 17, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »

Nintendo's stock has been in a pretty steady decline since announcing the WiiU. Last I read, they're down 10-15% from their price just prior to the E3 announcement. Looks like the investors aren't really pleased with Nintendo's new offering.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: June 17, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »

Happens every time a new console is announced from what I've heard.

New console announcement = decrease in current console sales = decrease in stock value
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 17, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »

@Gil: Not so sure about the "awesome graphics" part. The Wii was "semi-next-gen" hardware-wise and it looks like the Wii U could be too. So far, Nintendo's attempts to get the hardcore market back seem pretty half-assed, but we'll see.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: June 17, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »

Apparently the devkits developers have got currently are underclocked, and they'll be getting new ones in july, so the graphics we see might improve alot, or not, it is supposed to be 50% more powerful than the PS3 anyway, which I don't see with the current games and tech demos.

Also:

There’s a cost issue. Technically, it is possible for the Wii U to support multiple Wii U Controllers. We’re not planning on asking our customers to buy multiple Wii U Controllers.

That last part is just such complete bullshit if the console can support more than one controller, why wouldn't you let it? If people want to play multiplayer they'll buy more controllers, or their friends will bring theirs when they come over, there's no point completely removing the feature just because you think some mums will think the console is too expensive if they have like 2 kids or something.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »

Who said it is technically possible to link multiple WiiU remotes to one console? Your quote isn't linked to a comment and doesn't provide a reference link.

It's also an issue for Nintendo, which needs to provide a source for buying those tablets. Nintendo will have to manufacture, price, and sell tablets above their console manufacture rates to support even one multi-tablet game. Even if it bombs Nintendo can't take it back after. On the other hand, initially restricting multi-tablet games and releasing them later is a possibility.

The research (or lack thereof) performed to defend this decision is known only to Nintendo. Perhaps they'll relent later when the performance of the console is better known.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 17, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »

Who said it is technically possible to link multiple WiiU remotes to one console? Your quote isn't linked to a comment and doesn't provide a reference link.
A quick Google search reveals it's Iwata who said it. http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/multiple-wii-u-controllers-are-a-cost-issue/

Seems legit.
Headless Man
« Reply #270 on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

There's no reason they couldn't do it, but in games that did it would probably just be stuff like inventory/maps as the framerate would be compromised.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »

I'm starting to get the strategy, the wiiU is fully compatible with the wii, so it's a disguise Wii Upgrade, if you own a wii, no cost added as you are likely to have multiple wiimote and balancee board and start directly from here to new game.

I guess the only one tablet per console si also to avoid proliferation of controller (wiimote, nunchuk, classic, balance, tablet) and also to secure first generation of game that actually use the tablet in new non obvious way and ease the adoption without forcing people to invest too soon.

Also the tablet is also a new standardization as camera, mic and touch does not require new separate hardware, that mean that game can use those feature as standard. Still they need to find a way to integrate all of this in only one controller (no idea how, but nintendo is their name).

Also if online goes well, we might have vid chat as a standard for almost every game.

They seriously need upscaling Angry too as smash and many game look hd worthy (sonic color) and hope they have extra gimmick if we put skyward sword on that. I also hope that the streaming work for every wii game too.

Nix
« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »

as the framerate would be compromised.

Not if the thing is as powerful as they are letting on
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »

@Gil: Not so sure about the "awesome graphics" part. The Wii was "semi-next-gen" hardware-wise and it looks like the Wii U could be too. So far, Nintendo's attempts to get the hardcore market back seem pretty half-assed, but we'll see.

Well here's a question: Seeing that WiiU is coming next year (meaning that it's safe to say Nintendo is going to lead the next-gen race), would the other console companies want to beef up their next-gen consoles anywhere near as much as their hardware predecessors? Further more, if Nintendo does garner a solid third party line-up, will that in some way lay the foundation of where next-gen tech should sit? Would that mean Sony and Microsoft are more inclined to follow suit with that foundation so they don't cut too deep into production costs like they did this gen?

Ok so that was a few questions but yea, I am very curious as to how next-gen is going to pan out party-support-wise and how that could affect graphical finesse.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 18, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »

Didn't Sony already stated that they won't overpower/overprice their consoles or something along those lines?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 18, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5810622/gameplay-of-upcoming-wii-u-shooter-killer-freaks-from-outer-space

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »

That looks awful.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »

Yes it does.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »

But it was one of the first things people thought about as a use for the remote when it came out. Using the remote to move around in person seems pretty obnoxious for the FPS genre.
Nix
« Reply #279 on: June 18, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »

Why is the guy playing so bad

I feel like my arms would get really tired playing that
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic