Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:27:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRed Ice [BETA] [HTML5]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Red Ice [BETA] [HTML5]  (Read 2843 times)
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »

Wow, it's sure been a long time. Well here we are with a super updated version of Red Ice. Hit up the website, download the BETA and give feedback, if you could be so kind. http://redicegame.com/

Requirements: HTML5 Compatible browser (Chrome if you have gamepads, FF works with the keyboard.)

Controls
Gamepads just plug them in and go!
Keyboard controls are arrow keys and z,x if you don't have gamepads.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Updates
2013-03-03 BETAv3 Much improved AI, graphics, audio, the works. Play it now!
2012-11-25 What? This game is still being developed? Behold the progress!
2011-06-28 Arts! Also, better physics, audience activity, boost and shot meters.
2011-06-14 Added Zambonis, goals, puck handling, shooting, scoreboard and periods.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:21:21 PM by Daniel X Moore » Logged
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »

Good to see a HTML5 prototype!

I have tried it several time and each time I go in the middle of the screen (the blue circle where the the pad is) the game just freeze. Any idea? I've used Firefox 3.6.

Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »

Hi Blackcorn,

I think the problem may have been an extraneous logging statement. FF3.6 throws an error when console.log is called without Firebug. I've removed it and deployed the fix. Let me know if you have any further issues, and thanks for checking out the game.
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:24:53 AM »

To try it alone isn't the best way to really test your game, however it works fine since you've updated it. Blood is dripping a lot, for sure! I would have one bad critic about the control of the pad: this is awkward. I try to play it as if I want to push the pad in the goal but it was very difficult to achieve, believe me... :p

What is your next steps right now?
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! You're right about the puck control, it's currently quite difficult and frustrating. My next steps are going to be adding better puck control, implementing scoring, adding period changes, and have an end game report.

During the intermission the zambonis will drive around and clean up the blood.

I also recently added some simple sounds for hits and the audience, and will add several more for variety. I also want to add some background music.

Then of course there are the player graphics, but I'll hold off on those for a bit. I'd also like to get in some really simple crowd graphics, for cheering and things.

I'll need to set up a joy2key script for mapping out 6 controllers, then find some people who can get together to test.
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:42:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Here are the latest updates:

Zambonis
Goals
Puck handling
Shooting
Scoreboard

Looking for feedback on physics, zamboni interactions, puck handling, and shooting.

Play Now! (HTML5)
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »

I'm on a macbook, and I don't appear to have a "Home" button. Any tips?
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »

I'll add some better default keyboard controls for P1/P2 and update this thread when they're in.

My final controller target is 6 Xbox controllers supported by a browser plugin because keyboard play is pretty cramped.
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:51:40 AM »

I've just tried it again, with all you updates and I find it quite different (in a good way!). The feeling of movement and the control of the pad is far better than in the first version I played before. I can easily imagine playing it with another players.

The idea to put a (let's call it a) "shadow" around your dot-avatar when it moves in a direction is a smart idea.

I didn't find how to shoot the pad. is it a particular button?

Oh, and eventually can you tell me what the heck is this huge yellow rectangle that is constantly chasing me??  (yeah I'm paranoid! Ô_o)

Anyway, pretty good updates you did there!  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »

The yellow rectangle is the ice resurfacing machine, it comes out at the end of each period to clean the ice. If you check it from the side you can destroy it. You can also destroy it by shooting the puck at it.

I just finished a 2 player play test and my friend and I found the new physics quite fun.

The "shadow" is actually the puck handling control circle, though it doubles as a good indicator for which way your heading until I get sprites in.

My next update is going to be improved controls for laptop keyboards.

Thanks for checking it out!
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »

I just added in some new keybindings:

P1:
  Move: up, down, left, right
  Shoot: '
  Boost: ;

P2:
  Move: wasd
  Shoot: b
  Boost: space

This should help any MacBook people who don't have Home or End keys.
Eibx
Level 0

ヽ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ノ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »

I really like the blood track from the skates.

Sadly I haven't tried it out with a friend, but enough skating around.

Hand Thumbs Up Left

"You need to be logged in to log out. Please log in to log out."
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:34 AM »

A lot has changed lately!

Arts! Also, better physics, audience activity, boost and shot meters.

Looking for feedback on gameplay, sound effects, and artistic style.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »

Looking very good with the new graphics, and the puck handling feels good - I like that you can't do a 180 degree direction change and keep control of the puck.

The crazy ice-cleaner machines make for a fun obstacle to avoid in the later periods. Other possible ideas, if you are going to have an audience, might be to have them throw their beers into the rink, creating puddles that make it hard to control your player, or forcing you to slip and fall.

Playing single player doesn't do the game justice, but I expect this to be a blast with a few friends. Keep up the good work!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »

Another update, now with simple AI.

Also, the audience throws 1 liter cans of FreedomADE, the 2000 calorie vitamin infused energy beer.
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »

Heyo! It's been a long time coming, but Red Ice is now in Alpha!

Check out the latest screenshots, download the latest alpha, and let me know what you think!

Open 'run.html' in Chrome to play. Plug in gamepads and they should work straight away. Keyboard controls are available as arrow keys and z, x, but gamepads are better.

View the website: http://redicegame.com/
Download the alpha: https://github.com/PixieEngine/RedIce/zipball/alpha

Sound effects are currently placeholders.

I'm looking for all feedback, gameplay, website, issues running the game, anything. Thanks!
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »

This game is finally, finally, getting pretty good. You should really download the beta and provide feedback.

http://redicegame.com/
https://www.facebook.com/redicegame
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic