Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:57:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Cube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]  (Read 87041 times)
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »

Cube World (Work in Progress)

Cube World is the working title of a 3D Voxel-Based game with a focus on exploration an RPG elements.

The latest gameplay video:

A recent screenshot:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:15:21 PM by wollay » Logged

harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

It looks nice and smooth. The stepping sound effect got on my nerves. One major issue I have with this, though, is that there are a bunch of Minecraft/Infiniminer/whatever clones out there. What sets this apart from those? I love that "voxels" have taken off, but I'm sort of pissed that all they're being used for is building games.

By the way, are you drawing the scene with real voxels or are you drawing the scene using polygons? It's not really important, I'm just curious.
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:02:30 PM »

Hi,

the sounds are still placeholders, sorry. Wink

Well, my plan is to make a fast-paced action RPG out of it without mining, crafting or building and more focus on fighting, questing and exploring dungeons etc.

The scene is made up of polgon chunks rendered with OpenGL.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:03:11 PM »

Well it's certainly more pleasant to look at than minecraft despite having no textures (yet?)
vibrant colors and smooth shader
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »

hoping for some constructive feedback regarding the graphics and the gameplay.

Wonderful. Gentleman
The empty sky implies that the scene is a bit "empty"; I think that some clouds could improve the global graphics impact.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »

Nice!  Smiley
A voxel styled Action RPG with similarities to 3D Dot Game Heroes sounds pretty good.
Consider to make it 3rd person in order to differntiate it from Minecraft and it's clones.

I'm looking forward to the first playable demo.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Deidril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »

The video is nice and the screenshoot are very colored. I prefer your rendering to Minecraft's.

The stepping is indeed a little bothering, the sound as the effect. Don't forget the option to disable the stepping. Some people (including me) just can't play with the little jump suggesting each step. Google on seasickness + fps to learn more if you never heard about this problem. Stepping is one of the reason some people just can't play first person games. As a rpg addict, i avoid first person view for third person view.

Considering their moves, your undeads looks more ninjas than zombies Smiley

I'm looking forward to your dungeons, caves and the rpg features. Already some planned things to share ?

Good job so far.
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:33:49 AM »

The Monster King: Nice to hear that you like the rendering. I wasn't sure if a non-textured graphics style would be well received but now I think I'll keep it like that. Each voxel has its own color anyway so the landscape is kinda huge low-res texture itself.

yajo: Thanks and yes, clouds are still missing. I will add voxelized ones soon. Smiley

AuthenticKaizen: Hey Simon! I'm currently experimenting with a third person view. There will be a video soon.

Deidril: Thank you. That's very interesting, I never heard about that seasickness thing. Smiley But I'm currently trying a third person view anyway. LOL, the zombie ninjas are still a little bit overpowered, they are doing charge attacks with their swords all the time which makes them so fast. I will definitely change that. The game has already multiplayer support and it would be awesome to explore the Cube World together with others. I will probably release the client within the next weeks, if time permits.

Cheers,
Wollay

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 03:49:13 AM »

Ace of spades + Elderscrolls, I like it.
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »

It's a really nice clean look on the untextured scenery, which also helps set it apart from other voxel world games. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
e-dog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »

The camera movement when walking is too jumpy. If you want to keep it, increase its period to 1-2 seconds.
But I'd vote for 3rd person view too. It'll give more field of view, seeing enemies near your character etc.
The only problem is closed spaces like in dungeons and caves. You can design them with 3rd person camera in mind, or just make those cubes transparent when the camera moves inside a wall.

Untextured voxels are fine and look nice, but the world feels somewhat empty now.
Also, I think the sky is too dark. And since the fog matches it, far landscape is darkened too. I'd make the sky brighter and add a gradient so that it's even brighter and more white at the horizon. The fog can be matched with the new sky gradient using shaders.
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »

Thanks for the useful comments!

I added clouds, a sky/fog gradient and a third person view. You can watch the latest gameplay video featuring multiplayer here:

Here is a recent screenshot:

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

Love the style of this! Sounds like its going to be more interesting than Minecraft. I wish you luck!

roguelikemonkey
Level 0

god gave us thumbs for a reason.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 08:44:18 PM »

looks good so far. what can you tell us about the rpg elements of the game? as in what are the 'skills' or 'attributes' that you are building up?

are you still going to keep the minecraftesque crafting system or go onto something completely different?

lastly how deep can you go into the ground?
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »

gameplay wise, I'd like to see what your goals are and how you go about achieving them.

I found the videos nice to look at, but slightly frustrating because there is no gameplay really, just messing about.Yep- what are the goals and how do you achieve them, main question Smiley

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »

Hi guys,

right, the videos don't have much gameplay - they're more of a tech demo. The next step is adding real gameplay. My vision of the final game is the following:

At the beginning, you are a weak hero abandoned in a huge fantasy world full of monsters and mystery. You are so weak that you can't fight big monsters or dare to explore dark dungeons yet.

So you need to improve your equipment first by killing smaller enemies and crafting some primitive leather armor and wooden weapons or things like that. Wink I dont't want a complex crafting system and there will be no mining and digging. You also can't build stuff.

Once you are more powerful you can kill bigger monsters and explore more dangerous areas, and so on. I think I'm gonna leave out experience points and skill advancement and keep everything equipment-based.

Additionally, I'd like to add randomly generated quests a la "Kill that huge monster over there" or "Find the treasure hidden down there". I'd also like to fill the world with random NPC's giving you quests or selling stuff.

Finally, due to it's procedural nature, the game should be open-ended and you can become mightier and mightier and explore more and more parts of the Cube World.

So that's my vision for Cube World. I hope I can realize it. Smiley

I appreciate any comments and criticism.

@roguelikemonkey: The maximum depth is 128 voxels.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »

If I were you I'd scratch the crafting system all together and have enemies drop weapons and armor when killed. It would distance you further from minecraft and the player could spend more time exploring instead of crafting.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »

it'd be neat if the enemies were procedurally generated so that even when you get super powerful there'd always be something new to challenge you.

It's looking nice so far Smiley

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

When I first clicked into this topic, I sighed at the prospect of yet another Minecraft clone. Then I watched the video. I really like the style you've got there and the gameplay seems like it has a lot of potential. This certainly isn't just yet another Minecraft clone. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
poe
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »

I love this! What is it being made in?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic