Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:01:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Inability to Finish Games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: The Inability to Finish Games  (Read 28834 times)
Theophilus
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »

There is a subculture of game developers on this forum that never finish games, that don't feel comfortable with releasing them, or are just unable to.

I haven't really released a game- just a couple of open source things off this site. I've tried many things to help me get over my subconscious fear of non-constructive criticism, so I keep trying to improve my game to meet new standards. I take different directions with the game, trying to add more content, changing the controls, making new features. Always adding, but never cutting. Perhaps this is the cause of the syndrome? I say no. I tried making a simple game. Maybe it was too simple, so I added. And then I cut. Where is the equilibrium? What is the right balance for content? Maybe the features of the game aren't necessarily the cause of this disease. Perhaps it's something personal. A fear of criticism, like I said. Motivation generally is high for me. I am motivated by the idea of finishing just one game.

How does one get over this? There are a million threads like this, and this may sound selfish, but I want to address the issue for myself and for those in my shoes.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:58:18 AM by Theophilus » Logged
ugriffin
Level 0

Boo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »

How does one get over this? There are a million threads like this, and this may sound selfish, but I want to address the issue for myself and for those in my shoes.

Thanks for reading.

Just release stuff, and learn from your mistakes... from what people complain about. Who cares about what other people think.

Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Another thing that comes to mind- most developers use tools like Game Maker or other simple-to-use tools that give you results, and fast. Maybe I'm thinking the game design process will go the same.

Psssst ~ Nice to see you on TIGs!
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »

What frequently happens to me is I have time and enthusiasm so I start a project, but then I stop having time (because, unfortunately, the entirety of my life is not spent in a place capable of supporting coding) and though I am capable of sticking to my code once the excitement has waned, if I don't have time to work on it for a while I start forgetting important things, like that I was making a game in the first place.

This is why I love Ludum Dare - it gives me an excuse to sit at my computer for 48 hours straight with only brief breaks for sleeping, eating, and urinating, and it is during this time of unhindered, unmatched focus and people generally just leaving me the hell alone for a while that I can actually get things done.

Christmas break from school has yielded similar results in the past, because I'm at home undisturbed for a couple weeks straight.

When it comes to losing enthusiasm, just keep working until you get your second wind, or until the game is done. Whichever comes first. Getting the game done will almost invariably come first.

When it comes to just not having time, the ideal solution should be to make more time. If this is not an option, as it often is not, find something else to do until you can. I usually play some video games or read a book. You may wonder to yourself how you can have time for things like this and not for programming - it's because when programming anything substantial, and I'm speaking from my own perspective here, the second most vitally important thing to have is an impressively long stretch of time in which disturbances from things that are not your game will be minimal (ideally stretching over a month or so). The single most important thing is, quite plainly, a medium through which to program, probably a computer. This time scale of course pertains to nonprofessional development. I'm not professional (though I intend to someday be) but I would imagine that as a professional your work hours would be your concentration time.
Slimebeast
Level 1

BARF JR.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »

Before release - Ego-stroking notes of anticipation.
After release - Soul-crushing glitch complaints.

ugriffin
Level 0

Boo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »

Before release - Ego-stroking notes of anticipation.
After release - Soul-crushing glitch complaints.

This.

Sir, you've just reduced game development to two, wise lines. I salute you.  Beer!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »

you make a list of features or things the game needs to have to be considered finished

you don't change that list (sometimes called feature-locking the design)

you release it when that list of features are all implemented

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »

The syndrome of never going to happen is called Episode Three Syndrome. Just to clarify the difference.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »

for me it's pretty much everything madk said. Work hard as fuck on something for a few weeks of free time, then lose that free time, then lose my place in the development, then lose enthusiasm due to not knowing shit any more, or finding a bug I don't know how to fix because everything is foreign.

Theophilus
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »

you make a list of features or things the game needs to have to be considered finished

Very smart idea, and I'm surprised I didn't think/hear of it before.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »

Ugh, this totally defines me.

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 03:13:14 AM »

Very smart idea, and I'm surprised I didn't think/hear of it before.

yep - and at the end you can always apply a change control process, in case you have some new ideas you want to add to the game.

eg: Each idea could be considered in terms of `value` it would add versus time to implement versus risk of breaking the current game in some unknown manner etc etc.

You have to really step back from your project though and be very strict to make sure you dont get sucked into never ending feature creep.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »

i guess that'd be okay but i think that if someone has trouble finishing games they shouldn't risk even that. or perhaps do a 'if i want a new feature that i don't have on the list i'll have to cut out one of the features i *do* have on the list in sacrifice'

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 07:57:40 AM »

Making games is overrated. It is much more satisfying to crush the foolish developers with large amounts of bug/glitch reports.
Articulated
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »

I have worked in performance/project management in spheres outside the game industry, maybe a couple of tricks can spill over to help keep you on track with games.

First off, the operant word when looking at finishing a project: Scope

Make sure that the scope of your game is clearly defined (in terms of features, mechanics, art etc.) before you decide you are going to turn your idea into a project.

The Wikipedia entry is pretty good on this subject. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_%28project_management%29

Hope this helps!

Need a Voice Actor for your game?  Check out my demo reel on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jc5124

I have a blog too!

http://arbitrax.wordpress.com/

Follow @JC5124 on Twitter!
Nix
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »

Duke Nukem Forever suffered because they kept adding new features, starting over from scratch, and not knowing when to stop making it bigger and better. Most people here who complain about not being able to finish games just don't know how to get shit done.
Theophilus
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »

I have worked in performance/project management in spheres outside the game industry, maybe a couple of tricks can spill over to help keep you on track with games.

First off, the operant word when looking at finishing a project: Scope

Make sure that the scope of your game is clearly defined (in terms of features, mechanics, art etc.) before you decide you are going to turn your idea into a project.

The Wikipedia entry is pretty good on this subject. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_%28project_management%29

Hope this helps!

Nice article, thanks.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:03 AM »

Derek Yu has advice on this matter.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:54 AM »

I love that article.

Also I definitely agree regarding scope. Even small games take a huge commitment to finish. Don't be afraid to trim the fat and focus on the core mechanics that make your game fun.

I'm trying a RERO (release early, release often) strategy on my current project, pushing out updates every time I make a notable change or major bug fixes. It's a nice way of documenting my progress, gathering feedback, and testing compatibility all in one, and it also helps keep me accountable so I hopefully won't drop the ball on finishing the game.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »

exercise has always been one of the biggest factors for me. When I go a few days without it I get nothing done, in life or game development.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic