Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:37:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174740 times)
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: July 31, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »

Who saw the great thrid trailer of Interstellar's Nolan ?

This movie will be somethin

The music is awe

TautNerve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:04 AM »

still want to see nymphomaniac. von trier's pretty interesting and i'm interested in seeing him dissect his own work

I really like his work and actually Nymphomaniac was a huge let down for me.
It felt like a movie that he did without any personal criticism and just let himself
go all over the place without thinking. It has some good moments but overall I could
not figure out how he thought making this a two-parter instead of condensing it into
something that feels more formed was a good idea.

Let's tweet together:
@TautNerve
Play my games here:
Itch.io page
Chainsawkitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 06, 2014, 06:33:44 AM »

Manipulating the T-Bar
I have no idea why I gave Bruce Nauman another shot.

おおかみこどもの雨と雪 [The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki]
Cuteness overload.

Paisà [Paisan]
Not as good as the other parts of the trilogy.

Date Night
I only needed a few minutes of this on TV to convince me I'll never actually finish it.

Szürkulet [Twilight] (rewatch)
Movie night. Turns out my friends don't appreciate slow-moving Hungarian films as well as I do.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
The other Twilight Saga film I watched was just bad but this is actually entertainingly bad.

人狼 [Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade] (rewatch)
I think the wolf imagery is a bit too understated. Maybe turn that up a bit? Maybe transpose an image of a wolf onto the main character's face?

Touch of Evil
I have to say the first half didn't quite grab me (no, not even the opening shot), but the ending is something else entirely.

M
Still just as relevant today.

The Medallion
See Date Night.

Hot Fuzz
Some funny ideas but oh my fucking god is the editing annoying.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 07, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »

save the green planet

pretty great

no spoilers

thx bruv

love korean cinema

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:52 AM »

Mask of the Phantasm, the most underrated Batman movie (right next to SubZero) and one of the best ever made.

Think happy thoughts.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: August 08, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »

I watched the original Oldboy. I don't like it. Incredibly boring with erratic pacing and a lot of random/pointless moments. Also the twist at the end is just dull as. I did however find the first act in which the main character is in captivity and explaining his life to be very engrossing, and the side-view hallway fight scene was interesting but pretty far fetched.

I don't really get why this movie is considered great by so many people.

Blambo
« Reply #1186 on: August 08, 2014, 08:01:32 AM »

theres a lot of symbolism and inexplicit storytelling/character building

but a lot of the plot points seem hammy yeah
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: August 10, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »

Recently saw Lucy, Avengers, Escape From New York, and In The Mouth of Madness.
I like all of them, but given people in my generation claiming that Avengers is the best movie ever, the hype kind of ruined it for me. I still liked it, but not as much. Kinda like with Dark Knight. The other three were great though.

ink.inc
« Reply #1188 on: August 10, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »

Avengers is the best movie ever

how could they say those words in that order
MrProgrammer
« Reply #1189 on: August 10, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »

Recently saw Memento, thought it was fantastic. The protagonist has short term memory loss and the way the story is told is like puzzle pieces, by the end of the movie everything fits together. I wont spoil anything but the ending was very clever and didn't see it coming at all.

Highly recommend it.
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 12, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »

I tried to watch Caddyshack. It was terrible.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: August 12, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »

Saw Guardians of The Galaxy. That was wicked good.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1192 on: August 12, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »

Aladdin, in order to commemorate Robin Williams. (Also cause as a kid I didn't know who the voice actor was).

The genie and the parrot are both great comic relief.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 18, 2014, 04:37:34 AM »

Been watching a lot of movies as part of my new 'movie a day' initiative.

Requiem For A Dream
This movie is a lot of fun to watch, and genuinely unnerving at times. I think the first few minutes of the film are perfect for setting up the events to come. The characters and plot arcs mostly fell flat for me, and a few story points (mostly near the end) felt silly (ASSTOASS). That said there were a few powerful moments, like when Harry realises his mum is getting strung out on dieting pills and as an addict himself he knows there's little he can do. I thought Sara Goldfarb's story was easily the most engrossing.

Rushmore
I liked Moonrise Kingdom, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Grand Budapest Hotel so I figured I ought to watch the rest of Wes Anderson's films. This is killer of a flick. Max is such a likeable character, even when does obnoxious shit. I'm a big fan of the subtle humour too. It's the kind of thing you might miss unless you're really paying attention, because the punchlines are mostly expressed through character reactions (the bit where Max drops the fish food in tank is hilarious). I also liked the underlying theme of school pride. I wasn't really big on that kind of thing when I was in school, but damn did Rushmore make me feel a little bit of pride for where I went to school.

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
Easily my favourite Wes Anderson film and possibly my favourite film ever. This movie is just so great all of the way through. Steve's evolution from superficial movie star with a declining career to father figure is utterly captivating to watch. Bill Murray's performance is so superb. The jaguar shark scene at the end is great so great, when Steve says "I wonder if it remembers me" and then you see him break is so powerful to watch. I cried like a baby at that moment. I feel like Anderson's deadpan style works so well at making emotional scenes that much more impactful. When characters have such simple reactions to things throughout the movie, it feels very real when they do finally react to something. I love the parallel the last act draws with the opening scene. At first we're presented with the death of Esteban, but who cares? It's not like we know the guy so we aren't affected by his death, but then Ned comes along and is basically the new Esteban. We get to know him as Steve knew Esteban. Then he is suddenly taken from us and we feel the loss that Steve must have felt for Esteban. And it's just painful to know that Steve has to deal with losing two friends like that back to back.

So yeah, the movie is great but there's more to it than that. I feel like Anderson's style is totally on-point here. Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox felt a bit over the top, but Life Aquatic and Grand Budapest are his two films where it really feels like he's perfected his own style. The reveal of the boat cutaway set at the beginning, the imaginary stop-motion sea creatures, the slapstick action sequences, the oblivious guitarist; all of these things lend themselves to the whimsicality of the movie.

My final point: I enjoy how Wes Anderson has a way of turning bad guys into friends in his movies. Moonrise Kingdom with the boy scouts, Rushmore with the scottish bully and Life Aquatic with Hennesy. It gives me a very warm feeling when this happens in any piece of fiction because it feels like coming to terms with the fact that there is no true evil in the world, and that enemies can become friends.

Guardians of The Galaxy
I didn't enjoy the Avengers at all, or any other Marvel movie released in the past... well ever, but Guardians is definitely one of the better films to come from the comic-book-movie trend. The movie still feels incredibly formulaic with a lot of contrived plot-points, and the characters are bland, but it was still a fun watch. The saving factor for me was the non-serious approach and the world building. The various settings and cultures felt very awe-inspiring and gave a real sense of brutality and harshness to the world (Nowhere was cool as shit to me. The skull of an ancient cosmic being? Awesome). The characters are flat like I say, but there was one moment in particular that I thought was well done. When Rocket complains about being discriminated against for being a racoon-human hybrid, I found it to be a special moment. Too bad they didn't really explore that any more.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:45:03 AM by Praying Mantis » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1194 on: August 18, 2014, 05:10:22 AM »

Wait, Wes Anderson made all those films??!?? I really need to download his films now. I loved Budapest Hotel and thought Mr. Fox was a good idea, if executed poorly.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 18, 2014, 05:55:54 AM »

Yep. Rushmore, Life Aquatic, Moonrise Kingdom, Grand Budapest, Fantastic Mr. Fox, all his.

Next I'll be watching The Royal Tenenbaums and The Darjeeling Limited. My hopes are high.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1196 on: August 18, 2014, 06:26:22 AM »

i really don't like bottle rocket. agree on the life aquatic though.

ColonelHugh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 18, 2014, 06:57:48 AM »

Watched Lego The Movie just recently, it was a fun movie, I enjoyed it ALOT. Hopefully it doesn't get a sequel since it's already so great as a one off.

Dangerously Suave and eccentric to boot.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »

Requiem For A Dream
This movie is a lot of fun to watch, and genuinely unnerving at times. I think the first few minutes of the film are perfect for setting up the events to come. The characters and plot arcs mostly fell flat for me, and a few story points (mostly near the end) felt silly (ASSTOASS). That said there were a few powerful moments, like when Harry realises his mum is getting strung out on dieting pills and as an addict himself he knows there's little he can do. I thought Sara Goldfarb's story was easily the most engrossing.

Aronofsky its loads of style and just the necessary substance to make a movie float. It was my favorite movie when it was a teenager, but since then my appreciation has kinda waned. Saras plot is the only one of notability because the other three plots were handled more intelligently in other movies, including Trainspotting.

That said, even today, that climax scene is boss

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: August 18, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »

Watched Lego The Movie just recently, it was a fun movie, I enjoyed it ALOT. Hopefully it doesn't get a sequel since it's already so great as a one off.
lol http://screenrant.com/fantastic-beasts-lego-movie-sequels-release-dates/

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic