Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:23:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 173357 times)
Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: August 20, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy... MIND BLOWN! That is the best movie I've ever seen! I loved the characters and the music Peter would play while stealing the orb 10/10 fifty pug stamps 10 chicken stamps 99 pug awards and the ending I don't want to spoil it but "You said it yourself, we're the Guardians of the Galaxy bitch." That was the best part anyway go watch it!   Tears of Joy Big Laff Big Laff Coffee

ink.inc
« Reply #1201 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:13 AM »

hhh
Blambo
« Reply #1202 on: August 20, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »

chill out it's ok for that to be the best movie ever at 11
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1203 on: August 20, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »

no its the best movie at any age

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 21, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »

chill out it's ok for that to be the best movie ever at 11
Yeah, I guess I was overreacting but still its a good movie

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 24, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »

Nope, seriously epic movie.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Tiger

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1206 on: August 24, 2014, 09:31:34 AM »

notice how everyone saying that is 17 or younger

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1207 on: August 24, 2014, 09:44:57 AM »

guardians of the galaxy is an excellent film with very serious issues, especially wherein it concerns its depiction of women and people who aren't white

obviously these issues aren't restricted to just guardians of the galaxy, but it seems to be squarely stuck in the 70s for both good and bad

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1208 on: August 24, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »

Managed to persuade the wife to watch Starship Troopers; I've probably watched it a dozen times and I'm not sure it'll ever age, looks stunning and the themes are so stunningly explored. Love it.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1209 on: August 24, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »

ST is a great action movie by itself and a good parody of the book

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 24, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »

star wars with a raccoon is the best movie ever mhahaha just fucking with you i'm a human being with thoughts
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 24, 2014, 01:36:28 PM »

the cultural morass we find ourselves in with ever greater numbers of comic book movies being released every day is incredibly lamentable. huge fan of batman, poor batman who is in new york 1-3, but less so the more recent poor batman who is in new york 1 and 2, rich slightly gay batman who is in love with his robot 1-3, four batmans who were made batman by space, norse fairy batman, ensemble batman movie, invincible batman from space, and the upcoming batman vs invincible batman from space.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: August 24, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »

man i really dug rich slightly gay robot batman 3. lots more than the first two, especially. killer end credits.

i dunno about it being "lamentable" really any more than adaptations from books are lamentable.

honestly i'd like to see more comic book films drawing from more diverse sources. give us a film based on "saga, " for instance, or "stumptown." or "rice boy." or "asterios polyp." any of these would make some hella interesting films. also more people should read more comics that have subject matter not having to do with white human space aliens punching other white human space aliens, but eh. i enjoy a good pulpy genre story about punching and superpowers every once in a while like the next guy

speaking of superhero dudes, nolan's newest looks like it's got a sense of Wonderment about it. i'll pay to see it on a large screen. other than that and gone girl i'm not really thinking about any upcoming films, everything else looks kinda eh. maybe that one where idris elba is a serial killer might be fun for a rainy night i guess

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1213 on: August 24, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »

i was joking about the gotg thing being the best film i havent even seen it

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1214 on: August 24, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »

i was joking about the gotg thing being the best film i havent even seen it

for what it's worth it's funny in a very good sitcom way you don't see in adventure movies often (this is absolutely a compliment; i mean sitcoms like the star's own parks and recreation and such that are very character-focused) and it's the kind of film where the plot is more or less shoestring but the characters are so fully written and realized that it feels like it's very rich anyway. it has some serious issues with race/sex (one joke in particular is hella gross, but) and sometimes it feels a bit sloppy and overlong, but it's always a good time and it's very pretty.

it might not be your bag but it's very classic blockbuster at its heart (which is a silly thing to say but you understand what that means, i think). it feels like a seventies throwback without being obsessive or slavish (see: the very pretty and sometimes genuinely cool but mostly flat super 8, which ends up being nothing more than the equivalent of a little kid wearing his dad's clothes to feel like a grownup)

in other words i liked it. with reservations

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: August 24, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »

Anyone else here seen Boyhood? Best movie I've seen in theaters all year, by a huge margin.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1216 on: August 24, 2014, 11:02:51 PM »

Sounds fuckin' amazing from the reviews. I'm hyped.

ColonelHugh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 27, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »

Watched Lego The Movie just recently, it was a fun movie, I enjoyed it ALOT. Hopefully it doesn't get a sequel since it's already so great as a one off.
lol http://screenrant.com/fantastic-beasts-lego-movie-sequels-release-dates/
Dear god.

Dangerously Suave and eccentric to boot.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 30, 2014, 04:39:07 AM »

Saw more flicks

The Darjeeling Limited
Gorgeous as expected. I didn't watch any trailers or anything going into the film, so when the movie opened with Bill Murray in the cab it seemed normal for a Wes movie. Then they did a bait and switch and he wasn't part of the movie at all, I thought that was funny and it caught me totally off guard. I thought the interactions between the 3 brothers were so on-point, and (having grown up with a bossy older brother myself) totally relatable. This is probably Wes' funniest movie I've seen, solely because of how the brothers interact. I also thought the setting of the train for the first half of the movie was a lot of fun.

Bottle Rocket
Wes' first film, and much to my surprise; Owen Wilson's debut role. This movie wasn't really doing anything for me for the first 20 minutes or so. The characters, the jokes, the setting: it all feels like something I've seen before in other movies. Also it's just really depressing. But into the second act once Anthony's love interest Inez is introduced everything completely turns around and the movie is great from then on. In fact, reflecting back on the movie after seeing it I have to wonder if it was intentionally choice to make the first part of the movie feel so drab and depressing. Anthony is essentially the main character and we're seeing the story unfold from his perspective, so it would make sense that things feel very dull in the beginning when he's a loser. Then, he meets a woman who gives him purpose in his life, which is also when the movie stops being boring. There were a few moments that I really enjoyed, in particular, the final scene when they're visiting Owen Wilson in prison and Bob is talking about his relationship with his brother. I feel like I've noticed a continuing theme of family and friendship throughout Wes' movies. Bottle Rocket is about friends, Darjeeling is about brothers, Life Aquatic is about father-son relationships, Moonrise Kingdom is about young love, Grand Budapest is about mentors/role models, etc.

Skyfall
Pretty solid Bond film that falls apart the more you think about it. It had a good opening action sequence, with a captivating lead-in to the opening credits in the form of Bond getting shot off a train. I thought the opening credits were pretty great, probably my favourite of the Bond films I've seen. It was cool how it foreshadows locations that you see later in the film. The whole bit where James Bond is on 'holiday' is just dumb. The movie is pretty decent up until the bad guy gets captured. The introduction of the deserted island, Anton Chigurh as the villian, etc was all pretty enjoyable. Then Anton Sugar escapes in the stupidest way ever, followed by dumb chase scenes and pointless encounters. I did however enjoy the part where they go back to Skyfall and defend against the cronies. It gave us a nice bit of down-time from the action and a good chance to build suspense and tension. I thought the underlying theme of 'old stuff' was pretty interesting, until you realise it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering this bond has only been in the field for about 5 years. It could have been a lot more subtle, too. I thought the whole Moneypenny, new M, full circle twist at the end was a bit silly.

Slacker
One of Richard Linklater's earlier films, that jumps from character to character. This film is really interesting conceptually, and pulled off very well. Every interaction is a lot of fun to watch; trying to figure out what the motives of each character is in the limited time you have with them, what they do, where they're going, etc. The dialogue also feels very realistic and natural. I have to wonder if most of it is just ad-libbed because it all feels very convincing. This realism was further strengthened by the background noises. Sometimes it would be hard to hear what characters were saying because they would be standing by a busy freeway, there would be music playing, etc. It all helped to make the interactions feel that much more believable. One thing about the sound that annoyed me a bit however was how painfully obvious the voice-overs would be sometimes. the transition from 'natural original audio' to 'recording booth audio' was like night and day. I thought perhaps the movie could also have been about 20 minutes shorter and been more enjoyable. I found myself getting bored near the end, and I was honestly very disappointed that there wasn't any kind of curtain call or reunion of the characters at the end, but I suppose people meeting once and never again fits with the theme of the movie. I also thought the movie felt very familiar I was surprised to see that Linklater also directed A Scanner Darkly (one of my favourite films), which explains the similarity.

Now that I've seen all of Wes Anderson's work, I suppose I have to go through Richard Linklater's entire filmography too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:55:25 AM by Praying Mantis » Logged
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »

aaaahhhhhhhh

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic