Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:28:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 173041 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1260 on: September 19, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »

i loved basically everything that you just described as a problem. for me its major flaw is its frequent grey murkiness, which is, bizarrely, greatly alleviated on home video (maybe i just had a bad projector in the theater)

but the colors are wonderful, the sets are wonderful, the choreography is (again) wonderful. there aren't any characters, really. the actors are just yelling and talking nonsense.

2 hours of visual ballet, with perfectly timed rhythms and euphoric bursts of 5-year-old genius. not anywhere nearly as good as the king of this kind of movie (which is obviously speed racer, a film that manages to make 2 and a half hours of runtime feel spritely, nay, zippy) but it's more than serviceable; it felt triply so in a summer without anything close to its level of coherence and consideration, and even on rewatch its more inane delights still manage to make me smile like i did over a year ago.

it's a very thoughtful movie, where all of the buckets of thought aren't put into anything but being very, very, absurdly loving about shitty mech anime and gojira. and i love that.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 19, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

its a 2 hour long version of the top gun volleyball scene interspersed with cgi robots standing in waist deep water doing insanely slow pro wrestling moves

You're describing everything good about it.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1262 on: September 30, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »

so yaaaa, watched fargo and oldboy. shiit, yaa?

a few days ago i watched obvlion too. didnt hate it, but some parts were kinda cheesy.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:54:05 PM by Alevice » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1263 on: September 30, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »

i still have not seen oldboy

i should do that

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 01, 2014, 04:53:12 AM »

I think Oldboy is worth watching, however I do not think it's as great of a film as people claim it to be.

Saw The Lego Movie yesterday. Easily the best CGI animated film I've seen. There's just so much detail in every shot, and the way the animation mimics amateur stop-motion lego movies and real-life lego (scratches and bits of grime on the pieces) is really cool. I think I'll end up watching it again just to admire the scenery. My only gripe with the film is the inclusion of the live-action sequence between Will Ferral and the kid at the end of the movie. I think it was pretty clear throughout the film that what was happening on-screen was more-or-less just some kid imagining a story with his lego pieces, and that 'daddy issues' scene used to drive home that point was totally unnecessary and very awkward. But it's a kid's movie so lack of subtlety isn't really surprising so whatever.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1265 on: October 01, 2014, 05:03:05 AM »

although i agree it's got the best-crafted cgi in any film (wreck-it ralph is the closest second, but it takes that cake) but if the lego movie is the best cgi film you've ever seen then i question your positioning of it over:

-the incredibles
-ratatouille
-monsters, inc
-the aforementioned wreck-it ralph

it's a fantastic film all around, and i think the live action bits up until a very noticeable point actually add a lot to the film; but the last, what, five minutes or so were completely artless in how they went about it. it was stakes-free from the moment that the dad and his kid were just goofing off and not doing anything right up until the very endpoint (which was cute, but)

obviously it's not perfect, but what is? (hint: ratatouille is, i think)

preemptive edit: please note that when i use "perfect" i in no way am saying that a given film is qualitatively superior to all other film, or that it is even superior to "imperfect" film, but merely that it is fully coherent as a whole without any factors that could have been handled in a manner that would better support the film's goals than how they were handled in the actual film. usually, yes, this is an indication of quality, but several imperfect films are vastly more interesting because of those imperfections. fantastic mr. fox, one of my favorite films, is a perfect film. on the other hand, so is the sixth sense, but the latter is ultimately far less compelling on rewatch because all of its efforts are pushed towards creating a puzzlebox.

gravity is a perfect film, but i enjoy looper far more (despite its numerous imperfections)

also: i do understand that if you stretch it to its broadest sense that nothing, absolutely nothing, is "perfect." to those who have this misgiving: go away
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:10:03 AM by rj™ » Logged

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 01, 2014, 05:17:32 AM »

Oh I definitely enjoy The Incredibles and Wreck-It-Ralph more than The Lego Movie for their story, characters and humour. I was just saying that the CGI in particular was the best part of The Lego Movie for me. If you're making an official Lego movie, there's just so much that can go wrong, and I'm very grateful that the product we got was so perfect. It was clear that the animators had a very explicit understanding of the phenomenon that is Lego, and captured it's essence perfectly (just think, the movie we could have gotten instead might have looked something like one of the Lego games, games which I think miss the point of Lego almost entirely).

Also I do think that the live-action sequence was effective at establishing an emotional connection that was sort-of absent throughout the film up until that point, however I found it to be a bit of a joykill because of how much I was enjoying the whimsical interplay between reality and imagination that was present before that point. When the live-action reveal happened it felt like the movie was telling me "It's really just his imagination! Geddit?!?" when that was already perfectly clear (the lego people treating the random objects like bandaids and tubes of glue as ancient relics was the biggest give-away).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:25:05 AM by Praying Mantis » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1267 on: October 13, 2014, 08:31:01 AM »

So I watched both Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance during the weekend (already watched oldboy a couple of weeks ago). I honestly liked that the "trilogy" is more loosely connected in style, because it means they work well as standalone movies.My fav was def Mr Vengeance, loved the more serene shots, and its the most realistic of the three. Lady Vengeance was great too, but was a bit dissapointed plotwise that it kinda resolved too neatly, was hoping the teenage boy to have a bigger connection to the plot, alongside the deals with the prisoners forming a more orchestrated plot

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 02, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »

Blade Runner, Clash of the Titans (the original one!) and most by Takeshi Kitano top my list.

Saw TMNT 2014 and oh my gawd whatta mess of a movie. Will see Boyhood next.

Yeah.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1269 on: November 02, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »

saw gone girl yesterday. my favorite film of the past two years, likely. makes a cloying book noy only palatable but feel like a work of genius. fincher's best film, including zodiac (his previous masterpiece). utterly engrossing and really quite funny. and fincher's tendency toward sexualizing women in a gross way has definitely course-corrected; there's a bit of it, but it's mostly in check here.

i can't say more without breaking the first time experience of the film but if you enjoy any of the trash-art aspects of breaking bad or hannibal and their pulpier tendencies then pay to see this in a theater and be glad you did

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1270 on: November 03, 2014, 01:24:43 AM »

Gone Girl was so good, I went in without seeing a trailer, knowing the director or plot
Was a really pleasant surprise, great movie!

As for Oldboy, I think it's exactly as good as people claim it is, so good.

Don't bother seeing The Equalizer, It was poorly paced, had a shallow plot and was all of the cliche

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1271 on: November 03, 2014, 03:48:32 AM »

I had a kinda weird experience with Gone Girl since I didn't know about the weird turns the story would take. I thought it was just going to be a somber story of a man that gets accused of murdering his missing wife and it would be much more of a procedural and a look at the role media plays. But it sure decided to divert from that halfway through. I really did like it, but not knowing how it would switch gears completely, it felt a bit like two different movies (both plotwise and in tone) spliced together.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1272 on: November 08, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »

I think that's part of what makes the movie so clever, it keeps you in that "other movie" long enough for you to be utterly convinced of the films tone and direction. This makes the twists all the more meaningful in the end.

I saw Interstellar last night, really good film. Christopher Nolan can do no wrong

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1273 on: November 09, 2014, 01:21:09 AM »

i saw big hero six

it was nothing more than the avengers with babies

YellowLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1274 on: November 09, 2014, 04:17:17 AM »

rj, just remember to watch Oldboy with your parent(s). It enriches the experience Hand Thumbs Up Right
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: November 09, 2014, 05:27:28 AM »

better yet with ur sister

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1276 on: November 09, 2014, 06:14:13 AM »

i don't see how anything bad could come of this plan

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1277 on: November 09, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »

I did watch Oldboy with my dad Shrug maybe I'm just not female enough for it to matter.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 09, 2014, 06:39:54 PM »

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 09, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »

Nightcrawler

This was surprisingly eerie. The film keeps escalating and does not let up for a minute, quite entertaining. It's a sort of media satire I suppose. Jake plays the psychopathic role well.

I'm interesting in seeing Birdman next.

As per the Vengeance trilogy - I would say a) Mr Vengeance is the most refined and well executed of the three, b)  Oldboy had more of a wacky and humorous edge to it which is why it goes over so well, and I'd recommend it first, c) Lady Vengeance has a more powerful and interesting revenge catharsis near the end which shakes me up when I watch it.. not to give anything away. The film is kind of clumsily put together (at least it feels that way near the beginning) but I really like it.

Chan-wook Park fans should check out Stoker. It doesn't nearly have the same impact as the "asia-extreme" series but it's a beautifully shot film, and well put together. Good thriller.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic