Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:06:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174923 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: February 23, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »

except it's pulled off with such flawless technique that you don't bat an eye and the "complicated" plot folds into itself so seamlessly that you're never thrown, even when the rug is pulled from under your feet completely

the book is abysmal, however; with an overabundance of dry exposition padding every area and a detached, procedural look at everything, it ends up a chore. the film is svelte as hell in comparison due in large part to some of the most phenomenal editing of the year (only whiplash was maybe better on that front in a traditional sense; birdman is great at it but seamless single-shot illusion "invisible" edits should be their own category) and some lightly executed and well-placed narration excises what actually did work about the novel's and amplifies it.

plus it's hands down got the best pacing of 2014 (a two and a half plus hour runtime feels as short as an hour and twenty by the time it ends thanks to the aforementioned flawless editing and scene placement) and some of the best acting. only gyllenhall and simmons did better than the cast of gone girl last year.

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1341 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »

If you like Japanese films that are incredibly weird but also beautiful then check out Survive Style no. 5! It is awesome.

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1342 on: February 24, 2015, 06:31:07 AM »

birdman is really dumb and i really really didn't like it. it is loud and mean and gives off the appearance of being deep when it's just really fucking shallow. i've never seen a movie that liked the sound of its own voice so goddamn much.

getting picked for best original screenplay is a travesty. (as is imitation game getting best adapted.)

i got opinions

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: February 24, 2015, 06:40:51 AM »

birdman is really dumb and i really really didn't like it. it is loud and mean and gives off the appearance of being deep when it's just really fucking shallow. i've never seen a movie that liked the sound of its own voice so goddamn much.

getting picked for best original screenplay is a travesty. (as is imitation game getting best adapted.)

i got opinions

It was well put together and had great acting, but yeah the writing was nothing special at all and it certainly wasn't 'deep' in any meaning of the word.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1344 on: February 24, 2015, 07:11:01 AM »

i got opinions
i think the same, tho it looked pretty and I liked Norman's acting a lot

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 24, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »

i got opinions
i havent watched it, but i bet KIll Bill volume 2, the george lucas epic edited together from all the parts of a movie shoot where absolutely nothing happened anda 69 year old man read an essay about superman directly from the writer for half an hour, is more in love with the sound of its own voice
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: February 24, 2015, 04:49:26 PM »

I just watched The Grand Budapest Hotel and it was fucking marvelous.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #1347 on: February 24, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »

Wes Anderson is a certified demigod.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1348 on: February 24, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

just watched grand budapest hotel. it was excellent too, but still not movie of the year - i still prefer amelie over it; im certain i have seen a few other comedies like it. couldnt stop thinking about delicatessen on occasions. much better than birdman tho.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »

grand budapest was tight  Hand Thumbs Up Right

i love Wes' cinematography and scene composition, it's really developed into something great since Fantastic Mr. Fox. 
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: February 24, 2015, 09:47:21 PM »

\
Also, apparently I REALLY need to see gone girl.
It's not that good, it's overcomplicated for the sake of overcomplicating the story with infinite twists, and the ending is dissapointing and some characters' choices/actions are odd to say the least

Hahaha I just heard the same from a friend; I guess it's easier to skip it anyway.

Oh god make it stop.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:36 AM »

Just watched Сталкер (Stalker) by Tarkovsky.

It was a trip, I will tell you that.  Felt too real.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 04, 2015, 12:59:48 AM »

I love both Roadside Picnic and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but I could never get very excited about that movie.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 04, 2015, 02:23:41 AM »

I love both Roadside Picnic and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but I could never get very excited about that movie.

It is very slow, I'll admit that, and the fact that it's Russian is another big hurdle.  It's also full of seemingly meaningless imagery that can seem like poor direction.  I think, however, that Tarkovsky did that very deliberately to make us sympathize with the unnamed stalker.  The true nature of the Zone is ambiguous - so are the meanings of the various elements and qualities of the film.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 04, 2015, 03:20:17 AM »

So my girlfriend and I tried to watch the LEGO movie yesterday. It has gotten awards and stuff, after all.

But wow; what a piece of poop.

So incredibly American. Such a male (i.e. American) perspective.

Blegh.

We turned it off and watched Monsters University instead. That movie's great.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: March 04, 2015, 05:38:34 AM »

Frozen is the best animated movie of all time

Canned Turkey
« Reply #1356 on: March 04, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »

The Hobbit is the best animated movie.

Honestly, I feel the same way about the three hobbit movies as I feel about the star wars prequels.
Eh I'm sorry I'm really trying to stay out of this thread.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1357 on: March 04, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »

HOBBIT MOVIES SUCK DICK

don't get me started on that

jiitype
« Reply #1358 on: March 04, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »

You guys should check out the finnish LOTR

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 04, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »

Huh, I just discovered that Stalker was filmed entirely in Estonia, mostly at a river just off the highway where I have to drive to get from Tallinn to my grandparents' place in Parispea.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic