Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:00:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174890 times)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1460 on: July 08, 2015, 04:10:54 AM »

Inside out is definitely on my top 3 pixar movies now. How they handled quite a few semi touchy  subjects was brilliant

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:29 AM »

even in the context of the time?

yeh

fistful of dollars is a low budget action movie from the mid 60s (15 years before mad max) that still rules thanks to great cinematography and soundtrack. mad max sometimes felt like a movie that could be on mst3k if it wasn't such a "classic".

i realize the comparison is unfair because leone already had directing experience and was an obsessive aesthete while george miller didn't even come from a film background. so i guess for a complete NOOB director it's a respectable effort but it's still bad. B)

Shut up road warrior is awesome Cool

ya road warrior is nice
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 08, 2015, 07:32:17 AM »

the saddest thing is seeing fools boykoting fury road because there is no Mel Gibson.
He would be a perfect Immortan Joe though.

i though hugh keays-byrne was great as immortan joe (incidentally he's also the only good actor in mad max 1, toecutter is a decent 'crazy villain'). no one needs to see washed up drunk mel gibson in a mad max movie.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 08, 2015, 07:39:27 AM »

i meant that mel has become crazy melting abusive rage-monster. That would be just method acting for him.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1464 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:11 AM »

yeah road warrior is one of the best action movies i've ever seen

and i thought the only nerds boycotting fury road were the butthurt meninists

Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 08, 2015, 07:47:43 AM »

Because I'm writing a dissertation on film, it's been quite a while since I've actually seen one. Wink

Recently I re-watched
Nightcrawler
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Nightcrawler is, to my mind, one of the best films of the last many years. Its screenplay has been really crafted, and it makes a lot of recent films look thrown together.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1466 on: December 14, 2015, 01:50:09 AM »

I need help to find a movie's title:

-The movie had a ton of bugs bunny references, despise being an action movie with gunshots and swearing. The protagonist and his nemesis referenced bugs bunny/elmer fudd, in that order.
-There was a scene where the protagonist got away and the villain got so mad he shot a lamp sign to spell "fuck you".

I don't remember much more since I catched about five minutes of it on TV.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 14, 2015, 02:28:19 AM »

not sure at all but isn't it Shoot 'Em Up (2007) ?
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1468 on: December 14, 2015, 04:22:15 AM »

that's it, thanks!

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 08, 2016, 03:59:59 AM »

Yeah Mad Max 1 while I can't outright say it's bad, is pretty lacking in everything compared to the other movies.
I enjoy it mostly for it's brutality and style.
Also the FINAL scene really sticks out to me.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1470 on: January 09, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »

Inside out is definitely on my top 3 pixar movies now. How they handled quite a few semi touchy  subjects was brilliant

I agree, it was unexpectedly awesome, definitely top 3 cgi animated movies

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 09, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »

Yeah Mad Max 1 while I can't outright say it's bad, is pretty lacking in everything compared to the other movies.
I enjoy it mostly for it's brutality and style.
Also the FINAL scene really sticks out to me.

oh lol you're replying to an old post of mine

i'd say the final scene and the opening chase are both really good. everything inbetween is typical b-movie schlock and a chore to watch.

also i FINALLY saw star warts. its good and i liked it. i'm not sure if that's just because the prequel trilogy set the bar so low, but it was good seeing a star wars with actual cinematography and non-annoying characters again.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 09, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »

Are you kidding (sw7), I thought teh exact reverse, there is more deus ex machina than in a 18th century theater where it was mandatory! There is no character only plot device (they do have charisma), it's just big memorabilia to the first trilogy and the cinematography is basic at best!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 09, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »

it was better than cgi lightsaber backflips at least
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 09, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »

There was backflip in the original tri too

But bad cg isn't bad cinematography, it's just bad cg

Also the stretch plot point make more sense because they had room to breath, now they just tell you what you are supposed to feel or what character feel instead of showing them.

This review is on point!

There is so many deus ex machina it's mind boggling
- the millenium conveniently on the planet of the main
- solo conveniently exactly where the mains land in space
- I mean fucking R2D2 conveniently wake up in time to let the mains destroy death star 2.0, map conveniently map instead of obvious hole never mapped for some reason.
- Maz just happen to have the light saber of luke
- how the fuck Leia learn about the death of solo?
- etc ...

Funnily Rey being a marie sue as told by MRA is the less of that:
- showed great with a stick in battle, learn to fight in the harsh jakku, light saber is really only half a stick.
- use to dismantle ships for ration, obviously learn a lot about ship from it
- never piloted a ship, but seems to have plenty pilot time on land hovercraft, tenuous but we don't know much about her past, it's one of the weakest stuff but she isn't a genius at flying either.
- know about the legend, could realize she had the force, could be handle better with more forewarning and introspection scene

Anakin had similar problem (pilot a ship with no training) but there was enough build up (show interest, doubt on his competence, then triumph), Rey failed at character arc simply (things just happen), but ALL character do in this.

The whole movie is basically an accelerated cartoonish version superficial version of the universe. The force isn't the vague mystic stuff that could be interpretation of real life power, something more introspective of a person, it's light and dark intrinsically, not mysterious anymore. The light saber is just a fancy weapon anyone can use instead of the extension of the force used (as in how katana are treated in Japanese culture). Even the games and other stuff like the animation where more respectful of the ambiance than the movie and brought new things on the table instead of retelling.

Also I agree with that

The good thing is that it's accelerated with fun action sequences, it's like a call of duty game or a Micheal bay movie, it goes from great set piece to great set piece, the connection are weak, but the pace don't let you think too much about it. In fact I would say than even Mickael bay movie have more character than here! even though they are stereotypical bromedy delivry system.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 09, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »

It would be better as a serie

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 09, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »

- I mean fucking R2D2 conveniently wake up in time to let the mains destroy death star 2.0, map conveniently map instead of obvious hole never mapped for some reason.
- etc ...

lol i am not going to respond to any of this nerd bullshit, but a new hope had the exact same crap and no one cares because it's an action movie about lasers and spaceships and people hitting each other with neon tubes.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1477 on: January 09, 2016, 04:08:07 PM »

I liked bb8

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 09, 2016, 05:31:33 PM »

- etc ...

lol i am not going to respond to any of this nerd bullshit, but a new hope had the exact same crap and no one cares because it's an action movie about lasers and spaceships and people hitting each other with neon tubes.

The problem is that the character weren't related at the beginning and met together and became important as the journey grew, it's not equivalent. This is a call back to new hope but with more predestine way, solo is not unknown and actually important but just happen to be there, it would be a reboot it wouldn't be a problem.

Good writing still matter Tongue

Canned Turkey
« Reply #1479 on: January 09, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »

+1 Jimym

Good writing always matters.
I would watch a well written movie without action over the most action packed movie out there.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic