Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:26:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174856 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 03:01:01 PM »

I saw the movie Source Code today. It was decent but I don't like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Also, as someone who knows what a source code actually is, it was pretty strange seeing the term used for some completely unrelated sci-fi bullshit.
Theophilus
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »

Saw Super 8 today, I loved it.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 11:22:49 PM »

I finally saw Beverly Hill Cop.  I've thus had the

stuck in my head.

cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »

stuck in my head.

I had an idea awhile back that Pandora should have whole movie soundtracks so you could listen to a movie at work. For some reason it was Beverly Hills Cop that I thought could totally work just with sound

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »

Saw Super 8 today, I loved it.
Same one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I also just saw Se7en. It was good but not all it was cracked up to be.
AndrewS78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »

I saw the movie Source Code today. It was decent but I don't like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Also, as someone who knows what a source code actually is, it was pretty strange seeing the term used for some completely unrelated sci-fi bullshit.

I thought it was around stealing some source code or something :D Looks like not a big hit.
but I'll watch it anyway  Cool

P Diddy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »

Finally got around to seeing Lost Highway recently. It was great.

When I saw that film for the first time, I was totally into the first story. It was a perfect example of why I love Lynch. But then Bill Pullman pops up in jail and the rest of the film ruined what was a good chapter. Just like how the Matrix sequels ruined the first film.

Watched Scott Pilgrim last week, along with Inglourious Basterds, both for the first time. Loved both of them.

Scott Pilgrim was such a bad movie. It's pure poser geek shit.

Chungking Express and 2046.  I'm really digging Wong Kar-Wai's style.

Chungking Express is one of the best movies ever made. And when you read about the making of the film, you wonder how magic can be made so instinctually. WKW is the real thing. He also takes a ton of mushroom and other hallucinogens before making a movie. That is what a true artist should do before getting to work, the artist needs different perspectives on the material, so as to not create poser shit like Scott Pilgrim which wants to be that film.

If you're having trouble understanding Lost Highway, reading this might help you a bit, particularly about Goethe's version of the story. There are some definite parallels. Note that the character of Mephisto (the devil) is usually depicted as wearing white, kabuki-like makeup in theater/film adaptions.

You're seeing more into the material then was originally envisioned. Robert Blake asks for Lynch's direction on how he should look (all this over the phone), and Lynch tells him "surprise me". And so Blake (without thinking about on-stage Mephisto) went all crazy (because he is) and showed up on set like that, and Lynch loved it. Unless the script hints at what you said, which can also be true, but from what Blake said on Tom Snyder's show (when Lost Highway was released), it was all made-up on the spot by Blake, he just used what was around his home.

stuck in my head.

You'll love the sequel. It's Tony Scott's best film.

But skip part 3, it was shit.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 05:20:01 AM »

You're seeing more into the material then was originally envisioned. Robert Blake asks for Lynch's direction on how he should look (all this over the phone), and Lynch tells him "surprise me". And so Blake (without thinking about on-stage Mephisto) went all crazy (because he is) and showed up on set like that, and Lynch loved it. Unless the script hints at what you said, which can also be true, but from what Blake said on Tom Snyder's show (when Lost Highway was released), it was all made-up on the spot by Blake, he just used what was around his home.
Yes but that's not the only parallel to the Faust story, it's the smallest one in fact. The "I'm at your house right now, you've invited me" scene is remarkably similar to the one where Faust summons Mephisto in Goethe's version.
Spirit. By potent spell hast drawn me here,
Hast long been tugging at my sphere,
And now-
Faust. Oh woe! I can not bear thy vision!
Spirit. With panting breath thou hast implored this sight,
Wouldst hear my voice, my face wouldst see;
Thy mighty spirit-plea inclineth me!

Mephisto turns Faust into a younger, idealized version of himself, just like Pete is a younger, idealized version of Frank. 

There are some others too, but I'm too lazy to get into them right now. The Faust/"deal with the devil" story is pretty a common one with many variations, so it's not unlikely that Lynch and/or Barry Gifford were aware of it and adopted some of its themes for the movie.

It's also interesing that in German-speaking countries where Faust is extremely well known and even taught in schools, most critics immediately picked up on the Faustian elements of Lost Highway.
P Diddy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »

Ya I guess that's very possible, that dialogue you posted does indeed point to Faust specifically.

But the Faust link doesn't make the idea better for me, it doesn't take talent to add that kind of symbolism to a story, even hacks like George Lucas added Faustian links to his shitty Episode III.

Too bad Lynch took a supernatural route to get around the mystery of the first chapter. If that film was slightly more grounded in reality, it would've been more eerie. The idea of a stalker intruding upon a home as he videotapes the couple sleeping is really spooky stuff. Suspense was building up, he could’ve taken this much further. Then Lynch takes the easy route and gives us a magical hocus-pocus cop-out conclusion. And I just know it was Lynch's idea and not Barry Gifford's, because he repeated the same out-of-body pattern in Mulholland Drive (which I thought was way better).

It reminds me of what Stephen King once said about a short story he was trying to write. It involved people going into a public bathroom and never coming out. Then King just gave-up writing the story and ditched it when he couldn’t figure out what was in the bathroom without disappointing the reader.

I feel like Lynch couldn’t figure it out, and just gave up with a cop-out supernatural “hey look I’m just improvising this thing / let me run away from this and tell another story / I give-up” kind of resolve. That stalker story had so much potential, and it was just dripping with atmosphere.

laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »

I thought Lost Highway was a bit of a mess.  Mulholland Drive is similarly elliptical but it's so much tighter.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »

I just finished watching The Exorcist. The spider-walk scene. Scary as fuck, and had me just waiting for it to happen again.

Scott Pilgrim was such a bad movie. It's pure poser geek shit.

I think what you meant to say was, "Scott Pilgrim was such an awesome movie. It's pure Edgar Wright shit."
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »

Exorcist 2 is pretty shitty though, shame Ennio Morricone's

was wasted on it.

I also agree about Scott Pilgrim. I mean his band is called THE SEX BOB-OMBS FFS! How is that not epic awesomesauceness OLOLOLOOLLLOLLLOL!!!!!!111
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 12:33:24 PM »

@_Madk
Can't blame it all on Wright, I'm sure he did all he could with the source material he got.
Not that SP is a terrible comic - it's okay, but trying to pack all the volumes into one movie didn't work all that well.

I've recently seen X-Men: First Class and it was a decent flick, but mostly (only?) thanks to Fassbender and McAvoy. Apart from those two there was a bunch of characters who weren't in any of the previous movies and didn't get any character development in this one so they were just basically walking props.
All the two other established characters - Mystique and Beast - had going for them here was the annoying as f*ck 'am I pretty?' thread.

The same day I went and saw Kung Fu Panda 2. Not bad for a sequel, but I liked the first one better.
It was also my first 3D movie, and probably will be the last one as long as they keep making 2D ones. Some of the 3D effects were pretty good, but overall the glasses made the movie seem dim, they kept getting fog on them and gave me a headache. I know - boo hoo, guess 3D cinema just isn't for me.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »

I feel the supernatural element in Lost Highway is a red herring, which Lynch admits to doing frequently.  To me it reads more as the main character's excuse that he invents for his guilt-ridden actions, and the fantasy is his escape from that.  Cool movie, recently gave it a rewatch.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »

Yeah, the movies sort of leaves it open whether the "supernatural" stuff is actually supernatural or not. I dunno, it doesn't feel "lazy" to me at all. I don't think every plot needs to be 100% coherent and neatly tied up. Sometimes artfully placed plot "holes" can work better.
P Diddy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »

I mean his band is called THE SEX BOB-OMBS FFS! How is that not epic awesomesauceness OLOLOLOOLLLOLLLOL!!!!!!111

The movie/comic book tries too hard to be cool, that it’s anything but cool. Your quote proves it.

“The movie is r0x0rz because they play guitar and all to the backdrop of videogame memes so that I can feel better about myself having wasted my life playing them.”

The movie’s tagline should’ve been: “videogames can be cool”

And they obviously cast Michael Cera so that all the geeks can relate to him. It panders to the lame and tries to make them feel better about themselves.

This is Michael Cera in real life:

Yet they tried to make him a lady's man and an action hero. With that guy cast in the lead role, they failed before they even started shooting.

biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »

@P Diddy
I find it a little bit weird that you should bring up King (a page back). I always found him to be great at making me interested in the characters from the beginning, then putting them in weird situations and making me care even more about what will become of them, continually building up the atmosphere... and then just sizzling out and f*cking up the ending.

The only Lynch movie I can honestly say I've seen was Dune, so I can't say if his stuff is anything like that, but by what you said I'd venture an analogy :}
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »

The movie’s tagline should’ve been: “videogames can be cool”
It's basically "Lame Gaming Webcomic: The Movie," except most webcomic authors are real gamers, so their bad nerd humor is authentic at least.
P Diddy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »

@P Diddy
I find it a little bit weird that you should bring up King (a page back). I always found him to be great at making me interested in the characters from the beginning, then putting them in weird situations and making me care even more about what will become of them, continually building up the atmosphere... and then just sizzling out and f*cking up the ending.

The only Lynch movie I can honestly say I've seen was Dune, so I can't say if his stuff is anything like that, but by what you said I'd venture an analogy :}

Ya I agree about King sizzling out, his work sometimes feels rushed, but when you see how the supernatural is used in works like The Shining, it all makes it better. But if you watch Lost Highway, you'll know what I mean. It's starts off great, and then Lynch gives-up and decides to tell another story, and it feels contrived when he tries to connect them. The story about a stalker intruding with a video camera while the victims are asleep is something that can happen in real life, and that's why it was effective. When the supernatural is inserted into the story, it tries to expand the story into a realm that then hurts the realistic tone of the first chapter.

But I should also say that I was never bored by Lost Highway, it fails in the most interesting of ways, and so that counts for something. Lynch is never boring. And if you enjoyed the film, you should really see Mulholland Drive, it might be his best movie, I kept thinking about it long after it was finished.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »

Mulholland Drive is next on my list, in fact the DVD is standing on my shelf unwatched. I need to take the time and be in the right mood for it though. I don't usually watch movies (especially "complex" ones) if I can't fully concentrate on them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic