Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:01:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174869 times)
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »

got around to watching Looper,
really good, I wish I had seen it while it was still in cinemas now.
It's always difficult to suspend disbelief in time travel movies, but that aside Looper has some cool sci-fi themes going on, felt very original.

Looper was really good, I think I watched it like 3 times in a row lol(with friends who hadn't seen it).
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »

It's a short.

The Muppets: Pöpcørn

I still love the Muppets.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »

Finally saw Primer.  Damn good movie, probably one of the best handled time travel movies I've ever seen.  The last third or so of the movie did feel pretty rushed, though, so I kinda lost the plot to a certain extent.  It went into describing what happened rather than showing it, and I ended up not being able to follow the character motivations or goals all that well.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 30, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »

I just saw Flight and I want to warn you not to see it. Turns out it's a movie about alcoholism. It had a message and the actors did a great job but the movie lacked substance. It's confusing how they sometimes glamourise the drug use with 60's rock music and then just after that it becomes extremely preachy. The movie was so dragging it made actually want to drink in the theater. Zemeckis could easily have cut 30 minutes out where the movie accomplishes nothing.

Guess what?

In the end the alcoholic finds god.

Which I could have been ok with if it was a good movie. I don't get why this movie is receiving good critique.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »

While I liked that movie quite a bit, and think it's worth it if only for the absolutely gripping airplane sequence, I agree that overall message was handled a bit ham-fistedly, with a fair amount of plot contrivance.  Overall the message seems to be "Alcohol destroys lives, but Cocaine is fucking awesome".  I do, however, think the scenes that the movie gets right, it gets very right, and those outweigh the weaker parts of the film, at least in my opinion.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2013, 04:01:46 PM »

While I liked that movie quite a bit, and think it's worth it if only for the absolutely gripping airplane sequence, I agree that overall message was handled a bit ham-fistedly, with a fair amount of plot contrivance.  Overall the message seems to be "Alcohol destroys lives, but Cocaine is fucking awesome".  I do, however, think the scenes that the movie gets right, it gets very right, and those outweigh the weaker parts of the film, at least in my opinion.

Yes, that airplane sequence is great and Denzel was tremendous but the plot was so weak and the message wasn't delivered in an interesting way (ham-fistedly). This movie shouldn't have been 2,5 hours.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:09 AM »

Watched Django, very good fun and a few memorable scenes but suffers from similar pacing problems to Inglorious Basterds imo. The beginning is very rushed, but not short enough to feel like just an intro, the middle part feels slow in comparison and you expect it to speed up any moment, but then you realise that this is the actual movie.
The double climax after that also felt weird.

Didn't like Looper though, somehow I expected something more from putting Willis and Gordon-Levitt in the same movie. The themes, the scenes, the music, the plot, all was pretty mediocre.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »

Watched Django, very good fun and a few memorable scenes but suffers from similar pacing problems to Inglorious Basterds imo. The beginning is very rushed, but not short enough to feel like just an intro, the middle part feels slow in comparison and you expect it to speed up any moment, but then you realise that this is the actual movie.
im going to watch it but am mainly interested in it as a spaghetti western wankfest. even if the movie turns out to be terrible, picking out all the references is going to be a ton of fun in itself.

not saying tarantino is bad or anything but personally i dont get how people can enjoy him that much w/o knowing the 60s/70s schlock he keeps ripping off/paying tribute to. for me thats half the appeal.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:05:22 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »

I re-watched Inglorious Basterds just the other night. Pacing is something Tarantino does well. Inglorious Basterds has an epic suspenseful build up til the climax. Tarantino is such a brilliant dialogue writer and so good at setting up interesting scenarios. I rarely feel like he is wasting my time.

About that movie:

Why did Christoph's character turn around so quickly betraying the reich? In the movie he turns himself in to come to America as a war hero. I was thinking it was more about the meta of knowing the outcome of the war and that changing history is too tempting. Was it just a way for Tarantino not to be cliché? It's probably just the goal of Hans Landa to end up in the history books either way.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: February 02, 2013, 07:03:53 AM »

I just saw Flight and I want to warn you not to see it. Turns out it's a movie about alcoholism. It had a message and the actors did a great job but the movie lacked substance. It's confusing how they sometimes glamourise the drug use with 60's rock music and then just after that it becomes extremely preachy. The movie was so dragging it made actually want to drink in the theater. Zemeckis could easily have cut 30 minutes out where the movie accomplishes nothing.

Yeah, I also had the misfortune of sitting through this.
I didn't so much have a problem with the movie turning around and being about alcoholism, but the movie could have simply been the first half hour followed by the last 10 minutes and it would have lost nothing.
For an hour the plot goes nowhere and only illustrates the fact that Denzel Washington's character is an alcoholic, which was already firmly established.
The movie gives a double standard glamorizing drugs while condemning alcohol and is filled with blatant product placements.

Drive however was very cool, I recommend Drive.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »

I just watched Django, as usual Tarantino's pacing is really odd, but just accepting/expecting that I really enjoyed the movie. Couldn't get enough of Christoph Waltz's character.

There was some weird stuff in Django, but when Tarantino started speaking in an Australian accent I completely lost it. He'll never understand how much he butchered it, but that makes it even funnier since he's a honey badger

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »

Watched Training day, great movie possible all time favourite. Really displays Denzel's acting talent.

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
hishamsupian
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »

Love Supernatural Any die hard fan of Supernatural series here ...

poe
« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »

Love Supernatural Any die hard fan of Supernatural series here ...

That isn't a movie Sad
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »

Has anyone seen the Pirate Bay documentary? I really enjoyed it, I love those guys. The documentary builds well and brings up good discussions. You can download it for free (ofc) on their website.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 13, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

Night of the Hunter is visually stunning. Here are some of my favorite shots.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 14, 2013, 06:33:21 AM »

yeah, night of the hunter rules. outstanding cinematography and great score too. also charles laughton's first and only film as a director. talk about quitting while you're ahead.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »

yeah, night of the hunter rules. outstanding cinematography and great score too. also charles laughton's first and only film as a director. talk about quitting while you're ahead.

I really enjoyed it. The dramatic shift in tone after the children escape by the river makes it even more interesting. The movie becomes very fairytale-like and the imagery becomes more vivid and dreamy where as the first half of the is much darker. The child acting isn't the best but I would say it adds to the tone of it.

Some other shots I love.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:42:18 AM by Mono » Logged

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: February 20, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »

I really like those frames, the black and white aesthetic looks fantastic

WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:05 AM »