Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:43:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 173044 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2013, 02:53:16 AM »

finally saw the hobbit and django unchained.

i went into the hobbit with the lowest expectations but the movie is actually ok, its just that half the scenes and so is the 3d most of the time haha.

django was very entertaining, some good zingy dialog (waltz gets all the funniest lines tho) and tons of spaghetti western refs. last act kinda didn't need to be there but i guess its understandable that tarantino would want to let foxx kick some ass on his own after waltz steals the show for most of the movie. also understand how some ppl might take issue w/ the combination of slapstick humor, normal western shooouts and "transgressive" violence. the scene where the slave is torn apart by the dogs was def disturbing and memorable.
Ant
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »

I haven't seen The Hobbit and am unsure whether to bother, how does it compare with LotR?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2013, 03:08:42 AM »

the same but worse and with even more cgi.
Ant
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2013, 03:21:12 AM »

Yeah figured as much. I like the scale in LotR with the epicnesess of the battles and fate of humanity at stake, Hobbit just seems like a few random dudes going on a jolly day out.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2013, 03:51:14 AM »

They tried to throw that in there too, but it's very obviously just glued on to the actual plot, which has nothing to do with them. For example, while the titular Hobbit and his pals are hanging out Gandalf has a DARK and FORBODING talk with some other people about events which are unrelated to anything happening until the actual Lord of the Rings story comes around. Lazy.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »

prob one of the few movie adaptions that actually has more content than the book haha.

btw i thought the hobbit was more enjoyable as a book than lotr.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2013, 04:28:19 AM »

I have the same gripes, the overuse of cgi being the worst. I still recomend it if you are a fan of the Lotr movies.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2013, 04:37:48 AM »

Well it's still definitely worth watching, the environments are pretty even if CGI.
And I don't think it's a bad thing they include scenes that weren't in the book. I always wondered what was all the fuss with the necromancer about as it was only mentioned (afair) in the Hobbit and I haven't read anything apart from LotR, Hobbit and Silmarilion.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: February 23, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »

I would say skip it and read the book again. They pushed two extra storylines into what's already a well planned plot. The dwarf backstory in the beginning made me so, so angry. Because 30 later minutes then sang about the same exact thing poetically, but instead images of some mystic land and devastating battle in my head I had World of Warcraft. Then, Thorin standing two feet away from the other dwarves on a cliff like Fabio as they talk about him, make up a new character for him so that he can have his own arc...

The Hobbit novel is about scale. Little men finding a way to be able to do big, brave things. The story starts slow and small, long quiet boring journeys, getting beaten down by everything until saved by Gandalf. But just like in video games, in movies everything has to be "lol epic", all the lighting has to be super saturated (WHY IS GOLLUM'S DARK GROTTO LIT UP LIKE A DISCO), everyone's got to be a badass and kill everything hardcore. Then to achieve friendly lightness and humor, someone cracks a joke when being disemboweled. Lovely.

And the necromancer thing? Making every little thing foreboding of Sauron? Removing any mystery between the books at all and turning the whole thing into one six movie 300 hour story, terrible idea. I know the movie-adaptation-of-a-book's nature is to fill in some gaps in imagination, but wow. Any questions about anything you have in the story are filled in by terrible modern decisions.

As much as I enjoyed some bits of The Hobbit, what tore me apart was the huge gaps between what you could tell was written and intended by a kind old man in a story to tell his children, and what would kick ass and sell as thought by a boardroom. The contrast is painful, and as was said at the end of the movie "I miss my books."

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »

Totally agree on the forced epicness. They really should have just made it like the LotR movies but shorter and with a lighter tone, like the books relate to each other.
Also too many bad jokes and forced cameos.
Still worth watching I guess. It didn't feel nearly as long to me as it actually was.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »

I mean this very seriously when I say you should just watch the cartoon film instead because it's much better. Maybe that sounds a bit childish to you, but The Hobbit is a children's novel and it honestly works pretty well. The LoTR cartoons, on the other hand...
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: February 23, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »

The biggest problem I had was the 48fps thing they were trying to do, it made everything look fake.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »

The biggest problem I had was the 48fps thing they were trying to do, it made everything look fake.
a lot of ppl told me that before i saw the movie but i didn't notice it at all. though i heard theres a 24fps version too, so maybe i saw a 24fps screening?
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 23, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »

I mean this very seriously when I say you should just watch the cartoon film instead because it's much better. Maybe that sounds a bit childish to you, but The Hobbit is a children's novel and it honestly works pretty well. The LoTR cartoons, on the other hand...

The book definitely leans more to the fairytale type of saga and is more gathered when it comes to it's size. It tonally clashes with the first trilogy. Expectations and fan service hurt this film.

The way CGI hurt this film is that I did not feel like Jackson took me back quite to the same universe as in the early 2000s. The aesthetic excellence of the original trilogy was that Jackson had restraint and did not use CGI when it wasn't necessary. I feel sorry for the people who had to sit through the 48fsp 3D version.

Also why show the dragon within the first 20 minutes?

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »

a lot of ppl told me that before i saw the movie but i didn't notice it at all. though i heard theres a 24fps version too, so maybe i saw a 24fps screening?

Only the 3D version was in 48fps as far as I am aware. So if you didn't see it in 3D, then yes, you did see the 24fps version.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 23, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »

no i saw it in 3d, so i guess it was 48. still didn't look fake to me.  Shrug
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

I do a lot of work with video, so maybe I just noticed it more because of that. Shrug

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 23, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »

no i saw it in 3d, so i guess it was 48. still didn't look fake to me.  Shrug

I haven't seen it yet (dammit) but from what I hear the reason a lot of people thought it looked fake is because the higher framerate makes everything look much more detailed. This broke the immersion for some people because they could see the costumes/set in much higher detail which revealed the flaws that your typical camera doesn't pick up. That, and 48fps is what a lot of American soap operas use, which could account for some people thinking it looked fake as well.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 23, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »

yeah thats how it was described to me ("looks like a soap opera"). i kinda went in expecting it to look like the "mottion flow" functionality on modern tvs which really does make everything look like shit. but like i said, it looked normal to me.

the 3d was sometimes kinda bad tho and also mostly unnecessary.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: February 23, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure that "high frame rate = fake/cheap" is a learned association that can be unlearned.
I definitely noticed it, mainly when when the frame was panning or just when something moved quickly, it gives a much clearer image than it would have in 24 fps, which is apparently a bad thing for a lot of people :P

The 3D did bother me a lot though (first movie I saw in 3D), made it hard for me to focus on things most of the time and the stupid subtitles often broke the depth and felt even more in the way than usual.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic