Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028298 Posts in 41280 Topics- by 32897 Members - Latest Member: SilverDeoxys563

July 30, 2014, 07:20:13 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 65959 times)
Mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 09, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »

Has anyone seen the Pirate Bay documentary? I really enjoyed it, I love those guys. The documentary builds well and brings up good discussions. You can download it for free (ofc) on their website.

Mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

Night of the Hunter is visually stunning. Here are some of my favorite shots.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 14, 2013, 06:33:21 AM »

yeah, night of the hunter rules. outstanding cinematography and great score too. also charles laughton's first and only film as a director. talk about quitting while you're ahead.

Mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »

yeah, night of the hunter rules. outstanding cinematography and great score too. also charles laughton's first and only film as a director. talk about quitting while you're ahead.

I really enjoyed it. The dramatic shift in tone after the children escape by the river makes it even more interesting. The movie becomes very fairytale-like and the imagery becomes more vivid and dreamy where as the first half of the is much darker. The child acting isn't the best but I would say it adds to the tone of it.

Some other shots I love.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:42:18 AM by Mono » Logged

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »

I really like those frames, the black and white aesthetic looks fantastic

WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:05 AM »

I haven't seen any movies at all since October. :O

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2013, 02:53:16 AM »

finally saw the hobbit and django unchained.

i went into the hobbit with the lowest expectations but the movie is actually ok, its just that half the scenes and so is the 3d most of the time haha.

django was very entertaining, some good zingy dialog (waltz gets all the funniest lines tho) and tons of spaghetti western refs. last act kinda didn't need to be there but i guess its understandable that tarantino would want to let foxx kick some ass on his own after waltz steals the show for most of the movie. also understand how some ppl might take issue w/ the combination of slapstick humor, normal western shooouts and "transgressive" violence. the scene where the slave is torn apart by the dogs was def disturbing and memorable.

caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »

I haven't seen The Hobbit and am unsure whether to bother, how does it compare with LotR?
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2013, 03:08:42 AM »

the same but worse and with even more cgi.

caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2013, 03:21:12 AM »

Yeah figured as much. I like the scale in LotR with the epicnesess of the battles and fate of humanity at stake, Hobbit just seems like a few random dudes going on a jolly day out.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2013, 03:51:14 AM »

They tried to throw that in there too, but it's very obviously just glued on to the actual plot, which has nothing to do with them. For example, while the titular Hobbit and his pals are hanging out Gandalf has a DARK and FORBODING talk with some other people about events which are unrelated to anything happening until the actual Lord of the Rings story comes around. Lazy.
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »

prob one of the few movie adaptions that actually has more content than the book haha.

btw i thought the hobbit was more enjoyable as a book than lotr.

Mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2013, 04:28:19 AM »

I have the same gripes, the overuse of cgi being the worst. I still recomend it if you are a fan of the Lotr movies.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: February 23, 2013, 04:37:48 AM »

Well it's still definitely worth watching, the environments are pretty even if CGI.
And I don't think it's a bad thing they include scenes that weren't in the book. I always wondered what was all the fuss with the necromancer about as it was only mentioned (afair) in the Hobbit and I haven't read anything apart from LotR, Hobbit and Silmarilion.

unsilentwill
Level 8

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #449 on: February 23, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »

I would say skip it and read the book again. They pushed two extra storylines into what's already a well planned plot. The dwarf backstory in the beginning made me so, so angry. Because 30 later minutes then sang about the same exact thing poetically, but instead images of some mystic land and devastating battle in my head I had World of Warcraft. Then, Thorin standing two feet away from the other dwarves on a cliff like Fabio as they talk about him, make up a new character for him so that he can have his own arc...

The Hobbit novel is about scale. Little men finding a way to be able to do big, brave things. The story starts slow and small, long quiet boring journeys, getting beaten down by everything until saved by Gandalf. But just like in video games, in movies everything has to be "lol epic", all the lighting has to be super saturated (WHY IS GOLLUM'S DARK GROTTO LIT UP LIKE A DISCO), everyone's got to be a badass and kill everything hardcore. Then to achieve friendly lightness and humor, someone cracks a joke when being disemboweled. Lovely.

And the necromancer thing? Making every little thing foreboding of Sauron? Removing any mystery between the books at all and turning the whole thing into one six movie 300 hour story, terrible idea. I know the movie-adaptation-of-a-book's nature is to fill in some gaps in imagination, but wow. Any questions about anything you have in the story are filled in by terrible modern decisions.

As much as I enjoyed some bits of The Hobbit, what tore me apart was the huge gaps between what you could tell was written and intended by a kind old man in a story to tell his children, and what would kick ass and sell as thought by a boardroom. The contrast is painful, and as was said at the end of the movie "I miss my books."
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic