Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1035145 Posts in 41761 Topics- by 33351 Members - Latest Member: Abazkaa

August 22, 2014, 07:33:51 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 81
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 68067 times)
Schoq
Level 10

Imperial stronghold, midwinter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #450 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »

Totally agree on the forced epicness. They really should have just made it like the LotR movies but shorter and with a lighter tone, like the books relate to each other.
Also too many bad jokes and forced cameos.
Still worth watching I guess. It didn't feel nearly as long to me as it actually was.

make games, not money
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »

I mean this very seriously when I say you should just watch the cartoon film instead because it's much better. Maybe that sounds a bit childish to you, but The Hobbit is a children's novel and it honestly works pretty well. The LoTR cartoons, on the other hand...
Evan McClane
Level 10

:I

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: February 23, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »

The biggest problem I had was the 48fps thing they were trying to do, it made everything look fake.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »

The biggest problem I had was the 48fps thing they were trying to do, it made everything look fake.
a lot of ppl told me that before i saw the movie but i didn't notice it at all. though i heard theres a 24fps version too, so maybe i saw a 24fps screening?

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 23, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »

I mean this very seriously when I say you should just watch the cartoon film instead because it's much better. Maybe that sounds a bit childish to you, but The Hobbit is a children's novel and it honestly works pretty well. The LoTR cartoons, on the other hand...

The book definitely leans more to the fairytale type of saga and is more gathered when it comes to it's size. It tonally clashes with the first trilogy. Expectations and fan service hurt this film.

The way CGI hurt this film is that I did not feel like Jackson took me back quite to the same universe as in the early 2000s. The aesthetic excellence of the original trilogy was that Jackson had restraint and did not use CGI when it wasn't necessary. I feel sorry for the people who had to sit through the 48fsp 3D version.

Also why show the dragon within the first 20 minutes?

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile Email
« Reply #455 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »

a lot of ppl told me that before i saw the movie but i didn't notice it at all. though i heard theres a 24fps version too, so maybe i saw a 24fps screening?

Only the 3D version was in 48fps as far as I am aware. So if you didn't see it in 3D, then yes, you did see the 24fps version.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »

no i saw it in 3d, so i guess it was 48. still didn't look fake to me.  Shrug

Evan McClane
Level 10

:I

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: February 23, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

I do a lot of work with video, so maybe I just noticed it more because of that. Shrug

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile Email
« Reply #458 on: February 23, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »

no i saw it in 3d, so i guess it was 48. still didn't look fake to me.  Shrug

I haven't seen it yet (dammit) but from what I hear the reason a lot of people thought it looked fake is because the higher framerate makes everything look much more detailed. This broke the immersion for some people because they could see the costumes/set in much higher detail which revealed the flaws that your typical camera doesn't pick up. That, and 48fps is what a lot of American soap operas use, which could account for some people thinking it looked fake as well.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 23, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »

yeah thats how it was described to me ("looks like a soap opera"). i kinda went in expecting it to look like the "mottion flow" functionality on modern tvs which really does make everything look like shit. but like i said, it looked normal to me.

the 3d was sometimes kinda bad tho and also mostly unnecessary.

Schoq
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #460 on: February 23, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure that "high frame rate = fake/cheap" is a learned association that can be unlearned.
I definitely noticed it, mainly when when the frame was panning or just when something moved quickly, it gives a much clearer image than it would have in 24 fps, which is apparently a bad thing for a lot of people :P

The 3D did bother me a lot though (first movie I saw in 3D), made it hard for me to focus on things most of the time and the stupid subtitles often broke the depth and felt even more in the way than usual.

make games, not money
ThemsAllTook
Level 10

Alex Diener

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: February 23, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure that "high frame rate = fake/cheap" is a learned association that can be unlearned.

I hope so, because it's ridiculous. All other things being equal, a higher frame rate can't make something look worse. The fact that most movies and TV shows run at 24 FPS has bothered me for my entire life, so I'd really love to see 48 FPS catch on and get used more.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:33 PM »

I feel that motion blur has become such an ingrained part of the cinematic language that I'd hate to see it go. Sad

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Schoq
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »

Yeah, I'm not sure why for sound, colour and spatial resolution everyone always wants higher fidelity, but when it comes to temporal resolution some will argue for pages in favour of never going higher than the bare minimum required to see what's going on Hand Thumbs Down Right

make games, not money
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #464 on: February 23, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »

Even in 60 FPS computer games, motion blur is added for effect. It just enhances the sense of speed, and without it, things feel tame. Shrug

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 81
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic