Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:49:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesduke getting hammered on gamespot
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: duke getting hammered on gamespot  (Read 11562 times)
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »

That duke review on Gamespot is just mean. not even a review just a put down of every feature. I havent played it but those reviews stink worse than any game. Nothing but hate.

I swear EA runs gamespot cause they kiss ass on every crap EA game and go way over the top in slamming EAs competitors. Also PC gamer reviews seem like they kiss up to crappy major pub games but SLAM smaller competition.

Whats up with that?
Supermini_man
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »

That duke review on Gamespot is just mean. not even a review just a put down of every feature. I havent played it but those reviews stink worse than any game. Nothing but hate.

I swear EA runs gamespot cause they kiss ass on every crap EA game and go way over the top in slamming EAs competitors. Also PC gamer reviews seem like they kiss up to crappy major pub games but SLAM smaller competition.

Whats up with that?

Here's the problem.  Smiley
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »

I guess the publishers just didn't pay enough this time?

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:48 AM »

I am sooo glad I ended up not pre-ordering it and wait for the reactions before getting it. I've seen people play it, SNORE. People cancel your preorders or ask for refunds, hope its not too late; This game is terribly paced, pure uncut boring wrapped in ugly. Not worth anyone's money. Its likely that this game being a commercial success would be a detriment to the industry.
Its a terrible thing to say for all the people involved, but I sincerely hope people massively ask for refunds.

Theophilus
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »

They should have extended the release again. Smiley
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »

Interestingly, the PR firm that helped launch DNF made a public statement threatening to not work with publications that gave the game harsh reviews, got reprimanded by 2K (who is no longer doing business with them over this), and are now back-peddling and apologizing. Very interesting story to follow.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/35262/2K_Games_Drops_PR_Firm_Following_Duke_Nukem_Forever_Blackball_Threats.php
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »

I'm looking forward to see the sales for DNF, only to see if my theory of "we snatch the DNF franchise and release whatever we got in a year, crappy or not, and make millions off the legendary hype". Like Frankie, I really hope they turn out low because high sales would not be helping the industry.  Gentleman

MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 12:18:46 PM »

somewhere I saw 1.5 million sold already.. thats huge for getting slammed so hard
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »

somewhere I saw 1.5 million sold already.. thats huge for getting slammed so hard

I saw analysts predicting 1.5M-2M, is that what you're thinking of? Might have already happened, with the hype around this title wouldn't surprise me.

It was a top seller in the UK though, that has to help.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »

I started playing DNF yesterday, played for an hour and a half and while it's not mindblowing or anything amazing, at least till now it's not as bad as most reviewers are saying.

adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »

Whats up with that?

"Just mean"? The reviewer is under no obligation to be nice to Duke. Everything I've heard, read, or seen of this game appears lazy, sloppy, and reprehensible. If I were in his position, I'd be mean too.

A bit of off-topic food for thought. I doubt that EA is paying off reviewers; game "journalism"  is basically systematically structured as PR for game companies in such a way that eliminates the need for payola or a conspiracy or anything. If you're wondering why reviewers praise EA games: it's because they're polished til glistening. EA hires the best talent in the industry, pumps tons of money into their games, and has plenty of experience in - and probably a rigid methodology for - churning out polished games. They may not be innovative or creative or soulful or anything, but they're so polished that no one could deny that they were well-made. And if a reviewer did, nimrods would come out in droves accusing the reviewer of "bias" or being paid off by the competition or whatever. So reviewers play it safe, and judge games almost entirely on polish. Demands for "objective" or "unbiased" reviews do nothing but contribute to the white-washing vanilla-ization of the game industry.

You want mean? Go read some of Roger Ebert's film reviews and stop taking the schlock that sites like IGN and Gamespot try to pass off as serious journalism so seriously. That these publications are ganging up on Duke is, by all accounts, a surprise, a blessing, and a rare moment of clarity and taste for the medium.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »

bad game gets bad reviews.

i will inform the president!
Sakar
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »

So glad I got The Witcher 2 over this. Think I made the right choice for once
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »

I think I've managed to figure out why Duke Nukem Forever was picked up by Gearbox for completion.

Back in summer of 2008, the guys from Gearbox all got together to go see Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen. While they were waiting for the movie to start, they looked around and realized that the audience was predominantly young men between the ages of 15 to 27. They also noticed that a lot of them looked and talked like douche-bags.

About halfway through the movie, most of the Gearbox employees in attendance realized that Transformers 2 had been created for, and targeted directly at douche-bags.

A few weeks later, the box office figures for Transformers 2 came in. The Gearbox employees, along with the rest of the world, were shocked that such a terrible movie could make so much money. The higher-ups at Gearbox realized that there was an embarrassingly huge amount of money to be made by creating media products that were targeted at douche-bags. Unfortunately, Gearbox didn't have any douche-bag-centric franchises.

I can imagine the moment when it dawned on them. A douche-bag friendly franchise already exists, and has been languishing in development limbo for years. We could buy the rights to it for cheap, devote the smallest portion of development resources to it as possible, and shit it out before the next Transformers film hits theaters.

And thus Duke Nukem Forever was "rescued" from cancellation and brought to store shelves.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »

that is probably more true than anyone realizes ^^

and sad thing is, even some douche-bags think the game is horrible: http://www.destructoid.com/review-duke-nukem-forever-203658.phtml
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 12:58:25 PM »

Richard Kain, if I were a betting man, I would put piles of money on that theory.  Gentleman

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »

Man idk about you guys but I'm enjoying DNF. Got the PC version and it's pretty sweet, a solid 8/10. Could be tons better, but always bet on Duke! *dukesmiley*

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »

Man idk about you guys but I'm enjoying DNF.

And I'm reminded of the kind of people who were able to tell me with a straight face that they really liked Transformers 2.

To be fair, you clearly bought the best version. I've heard the load times on the PC are much, much better than the console editions. (which probably improves the flow of the game considerably)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »

Duke's humor is nerd humor, not "douchebag" humor.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »

Some nerds are douchebags

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic