Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:19:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesduke getting hammered on gamespot
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: duke getting hammered on gamespot  (Read 11673 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:57 AM »

All I can say is that the voice actor for Duke is atrocious... I wouldn't hire him for a high school drama production, let alone a videogame which is supposed to hinge on the personality of its main character...

John St. John actually does a pretty good job, considering what he is given. I don't think the voice-acting is bad so much as the writing.

Also yeah DNF is really bad. It's too linear, there's too much fucking around, the jokes are just plan bad or offensive, the shooting is really weak and tedious, and the presentation is extremely lackluster. It feels like a budget shooter. You're better off buying Bulletstorm. It's cheaper, funnier, prettier, and more interesting as a game. DNF is just... garbage.
Movius
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2011, 01:16:25 AM »

Bizarrely theres far too much gameplay. The highlight so far has been the bizarre fantasy world built around Duke Nukem's cult of personality. When it goes into the shootan sections, theres relatively little of interest. Almost as if the game was unfinished

"So we have awesome set piece #1 and awesome set piece #2 Then 15 minutes of Huh?? in between." Then leave to stew for 12 years, occasionally changing engines.

I don't think its a terrible game. I'd be more pleased with the purchase at a lower price though.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2011, 03:11:39 AM »

[Daikatana] ruined a once semi-decent name. (Ironically the same people that were implied to make you their bitch.)

So Romero was a merely semi-decent name? I've spoken to him, and it's clear that "make you his bitch... suck it down" was facetious.

This is my interpretation, not his. But what happened is that a bunch of sensitive, limp-wristed armchair moralists took the advertisement to heart, and rallied against Romero, destroying his reputation. For this reason, more so than the creative and commercial failure of Daikatana, Romero no longer pursues his passion of first-person shooters. Lacking one of its greatest minds, the genre is weakened.

His interpretation seemed similar:

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »

All I can say is that the voice actor for Duke is atrocious... I wouldn't hire him for a high school drama production, let alone a videogame which is supposed to hinge on the personality of its main character...
you would be very surprised at the stories of how some video games got casted in those days and with that particular talent pool
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »

q: what happens when sexual favours and non-english speaking japanese are involved in casting decisions?

a: sonic adventure
Conker534
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »

Ha, Sonic Adventure was great
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »

I can't remember the voice acting of Sonic Adventure, but I do remember those insane eyebrow movements that made each character look like they had a neurological disorder. Concerned

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »

Voice acting is a very misunderstood art and one couldn't say St. John lacks talent. Rather, the poor direction of the voice acting is what you should blame.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »

q: what happens when sexual favours and non-english speaking japanese are involved in casting decisions?

I just want to say hi because sonic is mention ... er ... Huh?

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »

John St. Jon = Big the Cat.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »

Am I an idiot for just now realizing why it's called Duke Nukem Forever? Facepalm

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »

Am I an idiot for just now realizing why it's called Duke Nukem Forever? Facepalm
no, most people don't remember batman forever, because it is no longer 1995 and hasn't been for quite some time.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2011, 04:50:08 AM »

That's not what I meant...

Duke Nukem 3 = Duke Nukem 3D
Duke Nukem 4 = Duke Nukem Fourever

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »

The final critical verdict on this game is out. Discuss.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Theophilus
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »

My Word!
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »

@DavidCaruso
The ridiculously low quality of the commentary (shaky voice, weird pauses, lack of rythm) makes me not care what the guy has to say.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »

It's intentional and meant to be funny.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »

Ah, the old "it sucks on purpose" or "it's not a bug, it's a feature" excuse... I use it all the time at work.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2011, 01:20:30 PM »

I thought it was a sports reference DNF - Did Not Finish, and 3D Realms were just trolling all along. Well, until they ran out of money.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »

Ah, the old "it sucks on purpose" or "it's not a bug, it's a feature" excuse... I use it all the time at work.

They actually are playing it for humor, it's a parody site. The same goes for their actual review content. Unless you're going to watch their

and try to tell me they are being completely serious in everything they do. Either way they're great.

Also the guy's voice is much more bearable to me than many Youtube LPers, tbh.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic