Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:31:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOpen Mic Hero - ver 1.0 release - link fixed
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Open Mic Hero - ver 1.0 release - link fixed  (Read 15136 times)
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:34:31 AM »

Greetings everyone!  Gentleman

Description:
I am currently working on a project called Open Mic Hero.  It is essentially a toy/game for the PC that allows your to play different sounds with your Guitar Hero controller (I haven't had a chance to see if a Rock Band controller works) on your PC.  It's like Frets of Fire, but with no streamlined structure and you can play whatever you want, as poorly as you'd like... so like a real open mic.  In the case of the default settings, it's just guitar chords that I played on my guitar.

Goals
I'd like to keep this open so, in the near future, people can record their own tracks and create/use their own sound banks.  If someone creates an awesome lead synth sound bank and writes the next "Final Countdown", awesome.

6/12/2008 Update
I spent much of my evening last night coding the basic interface between program and Guitar Hero controller (the Xploder or something).  I also spent it creating the first batch of nine (9) guitar sounds from my Yamaha acoustic/electric.

If you have a 360 Xloder (or whatever it's called) guitar, you can try out the tech demo.  No pretty bells and whistles.  It's just the program, sounds, and a small chart to show you what button combinations exist.

Download: http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/temp/openmichero.zip

Tech Demo Video:

Thanks!

UPDATE - Ver .002a - 06/18/2008
Download Link: http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/games/openmichero/openmichero_002a.zip

Greetings gentlepeople!  Gentleman

I have gone and updated Open Mic Hero to the most recent version (.002a).  There have been a few significant changes to add some monster rockin' functionality.  Here are a list of the highlights.

UPDATES IN THIS VERSION
- Added button icons that show which button you're pressing on screen
- Added two modes of sound playback (Chord Mode and Lead Mode)
- The ability to load your own sound banks Shocked
- Keyboard support! (use the F1-F5 keys and Enter to strum)
- The same old ugly graphics from before (which will be updated)
- I've included two template sound banks: acoustic guitar and drum kit

Please read the "readme.txt" to get an understanding of how loading your own sound banks (as well as creating them) works.  It's pretty straight forward actually, but not conforming to the details will cause errors and the universe to eat itself.

Just a little run down on the differences between Chord Mode and Lead Mode and why I came to this decision...
Chord Mode: This is your typical Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Guitar Freaks mode.  Different combinations of buttons = different sounds to play.  This allows the greatest volume of sounds that can be attached to a sound bank.  You play one at a time.

Lead Mode: This mode only allows for five (5) sounds.  Each one is attached to a button on the controller.  The advantage of using this mode is that you can layer these sounds (i.e. very useful for a drum kit).  So though there are only five sounds, you can potentially create a symphony of noise with it.

Will someone make me a "Pots and Pans" or "Homeless Guy with White Plastic Buckets" sound bank?  Sweet.

Download Link: http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/games/openmichero/openmichero_002a.zip

UPDATE 06/26/2008

My, my... I've been uber busy at work and I think my eyes are going to fall out.  In any case, I just cleaned up everything and released version 1.0.  Hopefully everything works out the way it's supposed to.

I decided to keep it as a toy/app for now than a full-blown game with RPG style elements.  I also seemed to have put aside ideas for any crazy ash artwork, like some vinyl decal store threw up all over the place.  The most appropriate thing displayed in this entire game: masking tape.

If I can get my hands on the older Guitar Hero controller (that white one), I can try to get it to work.  Thanks to everyone for their support!  I'll probably come back to this project at a later date when I complete other ideas that are punching me in me noggin.  Open Mic Hero II... 2009.

Note: Refer to the Sound Chart for which button combinations correspond to which sound files that will be played.

Download Link:
http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/games/openmichero/openmichero100.zip

Sound Chart (for making your own sound bank): http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/games/openmichero/openmichero_chart.htm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:26:39 AM by alexandersshen » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:19 AM »

Damnit, I have no guitar controller. Sad

Also, you look hot singing. Kiss
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:40:02 AM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »

I have a GH Wii controller, and a bluetooth dongle. If you would allow us to use keyboard keys, I could use GlovePIE to use it.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:41:41 AM »

I have a GH Wii controller, and a bluetooth dongle. If you would allow us to use keyboard keys, I could use GlovePIE to use it.

Interesting!  I'm going to look up more information about this GlovePIE software and I'll get back to you folks.  That and keyboard functionality.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »

You sir are my hero.

This is exactly the feature that I was hoping that they would have in Guitar Hero.

When I got it I was like,"what no jam sessions?!!!"

That and the ability to compose your own arrangements and record them as well.

Sadly though, I have a GH3 Wii controller but no bluetooth adapter to use it with glove pie Sad

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »

Hey, SP9, that feature is basically gonna be in GH IV.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 01:27:37 PM »

I'm actually very curious to see how it's going to be done.  I'm assuming it will be something similar to how Guitar Freaks did it on the PSOne all those years ago... do you know if it will allow for jam sessions or only "actual song composition"?

Anyway, I plan on having the different sound bank loading sequences done soon (my friend will be handing me some Hip Hop beat one-hit samples to play around with).
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »

That is a sexy vid.  Kiss

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »

pretty neat. I always thought itd be a great thing to like...play a bit of electronica like daft punk or something on the gh controller. lol. just have random sounds assigned to each button

you sir, have realised my deam.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »

pretty neat. I always thought itd be a great thing to like...play a bit of electronica like daft punk or something on the gh controller. lol. just have random sounds assigned to each button

you sir, have realised my deam.

That is a great idea.  I'll see what I can do and pull some Daft Punk sounds.  I'll also come up with a .pdf chart that will have all the combinations available and what the sound files need to be named in order for them to be loaded correctly.

So it looks like guitar, Hip Hop beat and electronica Daft Punk stuff (maybe even just clips from Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger).

That is a sexy vid.  Kiss

Embarrassed  Oh, you.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »

Yeah, but it should have been in GH1, damnit.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

This is really sweet.  A few ideas:

-Open Chord: if the player strums without holding a button, is that a chord? Just an idea to squeeze more onto that tiny fretboard.

-Bass: no chords is fine, just let the player groove out on a bass.  You mentioned allowing the user to import their own samples, but you should definitely ship with a bass set.  Hammer-ons and pull-offs would be totally awesome, but it would be tough to tell when the player intended to do one or if they're just prepping for their next strum.

-Effects: let the player add distortion/delay/tremolo/phaser/whatever - might be tough to do more than one at a time because then you'd either need a ton of samples or would have to actually dynamically add the effect in the program.  Could just leave it up to the user to import effect-laden samples if they want some.

-Multi-track recording: allow the player to record some rhythm/lead/bass and mash the three together, as well as record while listening to the previously laid tracks.  Might be a task best left to Audacity - you could just output the .wav files and leave it to the user to do on their own time.

-Drum machine/vocal support?  Might be beyond the scope of your project, but Rock Band drum support would be amazing.

-Metronome: playing on-time is really tough for music noobs.

It depends how far you want to go from making sounds to making music.  I could see a wicked music authoring program emerging if you went for the latter but it would take a lot of work to get there.

CitadelBrian
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 09:13:44 AM »

I was going to do a something similar with the Rock Band drums, but you beat me to it. Smiley

I'd like to see the fret guide light up onscreen when you play the chords, it would be a nice touch. Implementing the whammy bar and/or multiplayer would be awesome too.

Lead Programmer, Citadel Studios - ProgBlog
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »

It works with the Xbox 360's USB Rock Band controller, in case you're still wondering. Seems neat, especially as I'm contemplating skipping the next Guitar Hero for various reasons (controller compatibility, repetitive songs, unbalanced difficulty).

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »

It works with the Xbox 360's USB Rock Band controller, in case you're still wondering. Seems neat, especially as I'm contemplating skipping the next Guitar Hero for various reasons (controller compatibility, repetitive songs, unbalanced difficulty).

AWESOME.  Thanks for checking!  Your avatar rocks super hard too... I love that dog and Hello Kitty look-a-like.  Sam 'n Max for president! 

Anyway, I digress.

I was going to do a something similar with the Rock Band drums, but you beat me to it. Smiley

I'd like to see the fret guide light up onscreen when you play the chords, it would be a nice touch. Implementing the whammy bar and/or multiplayer would be awesome too.

I'm actually going to do the fret board lighting up type of thing as well.  It should represent what you're pressing.  I was also going to look into doing a separate app/toy/game for the Rock Band drums... as soon as I can get my hands on a set.

I'm curious, actually, about how jamming would with if there were the drums setup and guitar controller... hmm...
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »

Hello Kitty look-a-like.  Sam 'n Max for president! 
Max would have you skinned if he heard that.

Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »

this is completely awesome. makes all that hard work I did learning a hozillion different guitar chords totally WORTHLESS and I don't even care because of how painfully needed an app like this has been.
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 08:53:15 AM »

Hello Kitty look-a-like.  Sam 'n Max for president! 
Max would have you skinned if he heard that.

That's funny because he actually said something to that extent in one of the comics, "...and if anyone calls me Hello Kitty, I'll kill 'em."
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 09:04:11 AM »

If you could get this working with the keyboard so i can use my wii guiter, I want to play a song with this when school ends this christmas.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »

If you could get this working with the keyboard so i can use my wii guiter, I want to play a song with this when school ends this christmas.

I'm all for open key configurations and whatnot, but straight out of the box and defaulted, what would you see as the five buttons and strum bar?

A/S/D/F/G and Space?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic