Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:24:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuanxi
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Guanxi  (Read 13172 times)
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »

Guanxi
The general idea of this game is about the little adventurer that runs around doing deeds for his fellow villagers. His village is comprised of separate islands, that are linked with bridges. There really is no winning, it's basically just to have fun adventuring.
I'm still deciding whether there should be enemies, but I know for a fact weapons will not be a feature. Maybe jumping on their heads to kill them, I will come to a conclusion soon.
For every deed you accomplish, you will earn XP. After a certain amount of XP gained, you'll rank up. For every few ranks, you will be able to explore more islands and villages, which, brings more tasks to complete.
Some of these tasks might include fishing, or even finding a lost pet. The list is endless, really.
Team
Me, artist
Darkroot, coder (He doesn't have an account here...)
Fluidvolt, musician

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:54:44 PM by ninto » Logged
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:36:14 PM »

Week 1, Day 1*
On the art side
- Some of the buildings
- Finished character animations
- Placeholder stuff for the hometown, named Pinnacle.
On the coding side
- Collisions
- Correct speeds
- Character movement
---
Things to do start tomorrow (art)
- Font
- Menu
- More character designs

*Keep in mind, we have been working on this a few days before I started this thread, I'm just going to start with saying Day 1.
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »

Month 2
So, it's been an awesome first month, on to the second!
On the art side
I haven't made that much progress, but it's moving fairly steady.
Also, I'm going to try my hardest to update this more often, possibly daily. *wishes*
---
This is the first town. It's just placeholder art at the moment, waiting for details. (It's zoomed out a lot, which explains the blur.)

Font finished.

Menu. The clouds will be panning to the right.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:53:59 PM by ninto » Logged
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »

Looks nice! I'm a big fan of chunky pixels haha. Grin

leonelc29
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:40:51 PM »

Heylo!

so this game are about adventuring and do quest? I kinda like the idea, but i do hope it will not run out of quest and end up reuse the same format by just changing the content. But since it's an unscripted gameplay, i don't think it would be any problem bout that.

No complaint for the graphic, NO! I love pixel art!  Tongue

Font finished.
font. I can't really read some of the character without refer to your character map. Like for example, the e look like D, and g look like J. The O also look like D. I think the confusion is because some character are capitalize and some in small letter. All is but my personal view anyway.

AND, by the way, what's that title mean? Relationship? just wonderin. Looking for more update  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:20:34 AM »

If this has procedural generation, I hope I get a village full of fetch quests.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37:49 AM »

Thanks guys~

Font finished.
font. I can't really read some of the character without refer to your character map. Like for example, the e look like D, and g look like J. The O also look like D. I think the confusion is because some character are capitalize and some in small letter. All is but my personal view anyway.

AND, by the way, what's that title mean? Relationship? just wonderin. Looking for more update  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

I agree with you, it is a bit hard to read out of context, and I'll work on it some more. Maybe increasing the size, because it's really difficult to work 3x3. Plus, increasing the size will allow me to make capitals and lowercase. Thanks for the feedback.

Guanxi literally means relationship and connections. So, it fits, because you're basically running around making relationships with the townsfolk by doing stuff for them.

If this has procedural generation, I hope I get a village full of fetch quests.

I've already brainstormed up a ton of fetch quests, so you'll be satisfied!

Things to start/finish (art)
- Edit Font
- Some More tasks
- Character designs
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »

Day 41: (Yes, I counted)

I have officially decided on the musician to do the all the music for Guanxi, which is super exciting! For me, at least. His name is Fluidvolt, although he doesn't have an account here, I can post his stuff here, with crediting him, of course. He whipped up a nice cave-setting tune in the time span of what, two days? Have a listen!

Link to his other works.
richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »

Looking good! what platforms are you targeting?

also this might be helpful for your font: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3x3

ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »

Looking good! what platforms are you targeting?

also this might be helpful for your font: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3x3

We're using Flash, so basically just PC and web browser.

Thanks much for that link, I feel kind of guilty just copying that... even though mine was practically exactly the same.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 06:58:20 AM »

make your own 3x3. there are lots of variations, find the one you like

A can be
Pixel 11 Pixel 11 Pixel 11
Pixel 11 Pixel 30 Pixel 11
or
Pixel 30 Pixel 11 Pixel 30
or
Pixel 30 Pixel 11 Pixel 30
or even
Pixel 30 Pixel 11 Pixel 11

and don't get me started on S

I made one in fonstruct a while back for merveilles
http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/327786

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 07:05:31 AM »

Seeing as you need 9 numbers, and numbers aren't very readable in a 3x3 font, you could represent the numbers as:

[.][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]  = 1
[ ][ ][ ]

[.][.][.]
[.][ ][ ]  = 4
[ ][ ][ ]

etc.

Obviously you would have to explain how this works to the player.

This would probably cause more confusion than it's worth though. Cheesy

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 07:07:44 AM »

Pixel 0F Pixel 30

Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 0F
 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 0F
 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 0F Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 30 Pixel 0F etc

AUST
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »

I'm using Hangedman's font currently, because my font that I created on the same website never downloaded... Thanks Hangedman! I will only be using this temporarily.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »

Hey, no worries, use it all you want, tweak etc if you like.

AUST
The Hug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 04:35:44 AM »

Wow! Your pixels are pretty gorgeous. In terms of enemies, you've played Knytt stories, right? The enemies are there, but there isn't really a combat mechanic to speak of. They are just sort of more pretty, interesting things to avoid that move around. I loved that.
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »

will there be a tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo rescue quest?
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

Wow! Your pixels are pretty gorgeous. In terms of enemies, you've played Knytt stories, right? The enemies are there, but there isn't really a combat mechanic to speak of. They are just sort of more pretty, interesting things to avoid that move around. I loved that.

Thanks! The enemy idea has already been suggested and taken under consideration. I'll show you guys some enemy mock ups soon,

will there be a tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo rescue quest?

Um, sure. I guess?

Day 44:
I just wanted to let you know a fan made us a wordpress for Guanxi!

It's cooler than I thought, and really nice of him: Have a look!

On the music end, Fluidvolt has already made two tracks, and their beautiful! Enchanting Grotto a lovely cave-setting, and Over World, an upbeat hometown setting.

Cheers!  Smiley
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 12:26:34 PM »

My previous question was a bit non sequitir I guess. I was just referring to that old children's book about a kid falling down a well and needing rescue.

More relevantly though, will there be any other marker for progression besides an ever-increasing map size? I think it would be cool that as the villages opened up, not only would can your character interact and get quests from them, but they can interact with each other and eventually the quests can maybe get a little more complex or chained together, kind of enhancing this feeling of an ever-growing, interlocking experience. Either that, or some kind of home base that you can build over time with your increasing levels.

Maybe? I think it would be a cool idea.
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »

Day 45:

Darkroot is finishing up his class, so we're getting able to kick this into full speed!

Things to start
- Details: Trees, Rocks, etc.
- Second town
- Ranks/badges

Things to continue
- More townsfolk
- Buildings

Things to finish
- Polishing up 1st town (undecided name)

I'd love to show you some stuff, but I cannot right now because I'm not on the computer with all the files. Check back later today for some eye candy.

My previous question was a bit non sequitir I guess. I was just referring to that old children's book about a kid falling down a well and needing rescue.

More relevantly though, will there be any other marker for progression besides an ever-increasing map size? I think it would be cool that as the villages opened up, not only would can your character interact and get quests from them, but they can interact with each other and eventually the quests can maybe get a little more complex or chained together, kind of enhancing this feeling of an ever-growing, interlocking experience. Either that, or some kind of home base that you can build over time with your increasing levels.

Maybe? I think it would be a cool idea.

I really love the idea of building a house, but I cannot picture it on how I would do it just yet. I'm definitely taking it under consideration. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic