Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:51:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral***
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: ***  (Read 6436 times)
mooosh
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »

ha
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:34:39 AM by mooosh » Logged
im9today
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »

is the music industry losing money by the millions? sure.

good. music should have never become an industry.
Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »

This is why america is stupid and every other nation laughs at them
Sakar
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »

This is why america is stupid and every other nation laughs at them
This. I fully plan to move to a different country.
im9today
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »

get out then Hand Point Right you have to find someone to take you first

on your application to japan you should put "really likes anime a lot"
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:04:37 PM »

America isn't stupid, it's just ran by narrow-sighted business interest.(sadly)

And if you guys are talking about S.978, I do agree, and the lengths they'd have to take to enforce it is pretty ridiculous.
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:16:07 PM by Jakman4242 » Logged

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »

Sorry, I'll elaborate. I agree with you!
What I meant was that I think what they would need to do to enforce this would be ridiculous.

Nix
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »

This isn't really true. The problem is that the American government puts too much emphasis on supporting business, not that businesses themselves actually get final say. But yeah, I'm on Demand Progress's mailing list (and I think I may have donated once or twice). My Representative is already really supportive of a free and open internet, at least according to his website and emails he's sent me. Still, I think it's important for constituents to let their reps know what matters to them because most of the old fogies in Congress just don't get it.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »

This isn't really true. The problem is that the American government puts too much emphasis on supporting business, not that businesses themselves actually get final say. But yeah, I'm on Demand Progress's mailing list (and I think I may have donated once or twice). My Representative is already really supportive of a free and open internet, at least according to his website and emails he's sent me. Still, I think it's important for constituents to let their reps know what matters to them because most of the old fogies in Congress just don't get it.

Businesses directly do not control the government, god no. But keep in mind it is often the 'burden' of the government(note: burden placed on by precedent by the people, see Jimmy Carter's presidency and pre-Great Depression times for precedent reference) to keep the country financially stable. This essentially means helping businesses get more money.(but doesn't necessarily solve the issue, and has probably failed just as many times as it has worked. It just depends what the business does with the money, of course) Also keep in mind that congressmen and the like are usually in the top 10% in terms of income. Many of them would reasonably have investments, connections, or bias to businesses. More money for their investment means more money for them. Helping enforce copyright laws (or so they think) helps businesses keep making money. Plus, the federal fines help curb the budget defecit(or at least that's what they say on paper). The problem is implementation, and the fact the copyright laws outright suck for everyone except the copyright owner.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. *stops talking*.

im9today
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »

i think butts should be a felony

elec t me 2012
MaloEspada
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »

i think butts should be a felony

elec t me 2012

i will inform the president.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 06:41:05 AM »

The music industry is essentially  a relic of the past. Well not quite yet, but we're getting there, and it's not because of piracy.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 06:47:20 AM »

closing the gate after the horse has left the barn, gotten married, had kids, drank himself into a stupor, and paid a prostitute to stove his head in with a clawhammer

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »

Just watch the mail/address/e-mail thing. This could be a spook to get your personal info.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 07:33:34 AM »

i don't think it's a good idea to send people to jail for livestreaming movies and watching them with their friends, but all this talk of 'outdated business models' is ridiculous. selling songs/movies/games/novels/etc. that people create will never be outdated

we see this even in indie games; people have tried other models besides selling games, and they largely don't work as well (e.g. the same game, if sold, would nine times out of ten make ten times as much money as if it were free and had ads, especially because of adblock, and even taking piracy into account)

i've the feeling that even though the law is written badly, in practice it'd largely only be used against the people who need punishment (such as the people who run piracy sites) rather than kids who remix songs on youtube; the fear that it'd be used against the average youtube kid feels like fearmongering
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:44:40 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »

i've the feeling that even though the law is written badly, in practice it'd largely only be used against the people who need punishment (such as the people who run piracy sites) rather than kids who remix songs on youtube; the fear that it'd be used against the average youtube kid feels like fearmongering

I'm well aware that's their intent. My problem is that it's written, like that, as law. And then, all it takes is one hungry mofo in power (or Tim Langdell equivalent), and whammo! All of a sudden, we're in the red for something innocuous like that, which is easily overlooked until it's too late. Are you going to keep track of every media file you have, and how often you've uploaded it somewhere? Do you want some digital-management software draining your CPU, while "offering that service to you" for $xx /month?

It's a money grab, nothing more important than that. Most people I know that -have- streamed stuff like that often end up buying it anyways.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »

the bill doesn't say anything about uploaded files or DRM, though -- that's totally unrelated, it's only about streaming files for audiences

and there are a lot of laws that are badly written and can be used by anyone for any purpose. i don't see the internet getting this upset over the patriot act for instance, or the law that says that if you are deemed a terrorist you can be assassinated legally by the government, even if you're a US citizen, and where terrorist is defined as anyone who supports terrorist ideas (which can mean anything)

so basically: there are much worse laws and much more badly written laws and much more dangerous laws to protest to your congressmen about, and anti-piracy laws seem to get undue attention compared to the others; there are five simultaneous unconstitutional wars going on right now (iraq, afghanistan, libya, syria, yemen) and i suspect most of the people contacting their congressmen over this never contacted them over those

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »

i don't think it's a good idea to send people to jail for livestreaming movies and watching them with their friends, but all this talk of 'outdated business models' is ridiculous. selling songs/movies/games/novels/etc. that people create will never be outdated
Yes and the music/movie/game industry will not cease to exist because of piracy. The music industry's problem is a different one: Artists are becoming less and less dependent on them thanks to computers, the internet and cheap recording technology. As I said, we're not fully there yet but eventually, the services major labels offer simply won't be needed anymore.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »

there are much worse laws and much more badly written laws and much more dangerous laws to protest to your congressmen about

perhaps, but that shouldn't preclude us from protesting about this one as well

while the government intent behind passing it may not be harmful, it is clearly exploitable for business interests.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »

The major issue here isn't that laws need to be protested or not, it is that we have a congress so far removed from its constituency that it passes laws that mandate the behavior of many based on the desires of a few, and the intelligent inputs of even fewer.

That, and proposing laws that look good on the surface like this one (Protecting the copyrights of musicians!) helps the congress look busy while they're ignoring kind of important things like balancing the budget.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic