Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:51:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInferno of Anger 2: The Other-Illumination of Shvetayasaparishanta
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Inferno of Anger 2: The Other-Illumination of Shvetayasaparishanta  (Read 5036 times)
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »

I N F E R N O   O F   A N G E R   2
The Other-Illumination of Shvetayasaparishanta

PREMISE
Inferno of Anger 2 is a metrovania/dating sim hybrid.

STORY
   Blasé with his romantic relationship with wuxia serial writer Deng Xiaoai, Pan Fernández-Schrödinger takes her cat, Galford, on scenic trips through the Wudang Mountains and often Guishan, the turtle hill, near Wuhan every weekend. This ritual of escapism meets a horrific dream-punching end when Pan’s motorcycle crashes into a person, flinging him and the cat overboard. When Pan regains consciousness, the cat is nowhere to be seen, and Pan himself has been vaulted off a cliff.

Overwhelmed with a sense of guilt for Galford, Pan traverses the rural countryside to find him. At first it seems normal, but Pan soon crosses a threshold into necromantic terror. With that, a flash appears before Pan’s mind, it was a jiangshi that lunged in front of his motorcycle. The new otherworldly adversaries become a proxy of Pan’s lingering guilt. Pan begins a swath of revengeful fury against the beckoning undead.

INTENT
   Inferno of Anger 2 is a game about sophisticated martial arts, underlying reward-tension, and the mysteries of life. Shaped around the idea of grotesque hedonism and closet guilt, Pan finds himself not only in a world of dangerous creatures, but of dangerous love as well. Set in an open world, Pan is entrapped by the flavor of wanderlust. The pastoral Arcadia is full of treasures, women, and perils, but it is up to the player and his handful of martial art skills to conquer them.

The game will utilize a key-lock system involving skill powers; however, acquisition of these powers will be non-linear and can be retrieved from both quests and exploration. Exploration into the deeper regions will require combining skill power use. Searching deeper in the wilderness is searching deeper in the consciousness. That is, if it exists. Adjacent to this system will be Pan’s ability to charm the village-folk. Not only does this provide a deeper interaction between Pan and the game’s environment, it also sets up themes about debauchery and bureaucracy.

Download February Build
Here's an old build from February. None of the assets will be used. It was a quick combat prototype using graphics and some coding from 2008. It is crucial you press F1 and read the instructions to grasp the inner workings of the system. The system in the build is not what will be in final game. There are numerous aspects I want to elaborate and add.

It would also be helpful if you could shed how many heart points you got at the end of the game. You could also comment on the level design as it's been something lacking in my games. Here I was trying to make it a bit rhythmic or at least momentum-based. I personally feel that it errs in the cavern part and could use some differing enemy variety. But I'm not touching this build again so heh.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:09:12 AM by thernz » Logged

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »

PAN FERNÁNDEZ-SCHRÖDINGER
Hasty Herald of Hedonism

The best way to describe Pan would probably be dandy-brute. Fostered by an Andorran sinologist and German catch wrestler, the young scamp has been exposed to a myriad of new-age and pugilistic parenting methods. As a result, Pan is a well-educated and strong person - though if someone can call him an individual is unfortunately dubious. He is a very malleable man, receptive to many opinions, both objectively good and evil. But it is because of this malleability, that he holds a confused stance on his own actions. Nevertheless, Pan is the best tool a human can find. It is no wonder that he will be a versatile tool to you too.

I should really edit his DEAD sprite because his ass is way too big.
Oh, what the hell, have a WIP portrait of him too.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:32:28 PM by thernz » Logged

MaloEspada
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »

ioa 2 !!!!!!!!!!!
yes !!!!!!!
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:43 AM »

Now that you're working on this, think you could rerelease Inferno of Anger 1? It seems to have been removed from Yoyogames.
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »

Well, that GOD OF DREAM flex looks amazing

and the game does too
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03:08 AM »

Now that you're working on this, think you could rerelease Inferno of Anger 1? It seems to have been removed from Yoyogames.
You really don't need to play that game because it is terrible, and I am certain it will lessen your expectations of this game. But sure, I'll upload it some time later. Hand Thumbs Up Left

If stuff turns well, I might just recreate IoA1 as a prologue in IoA2.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:13:02 AM by thernz » Logged

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »

This looks amazing. The story sounds interesting, and from the demo, the gameplay is fun too. I'll be interested in how you work the two together, especially with the nonlinearity.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »

the sprite looks like it's from cho aniki

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:07:05 AM »

It is. I'm not going to use it in the new iteration. I'm pretty sure I can come up with my own satisfactory design for the God of Slam. If not, I'll still make my own sprite, even if it does borrow/steal the design of Samson or Adon. Religion in Inferno of Anger 2 won't be limited to just Chinese mythology but will feature the pop-culture faith, the Slam Gods, and Buddhism. The idea is to introduce this traditional society at first before subverting it into a hellhole of consumer-syncretism.

So having terrible pop-culture and video game references isn't out of reach for this game. Entering the Hell of References is Pan's entrance into First Threshold. Jiangshi of Hong Kong cinema, homoerotic muscular men from videogames, oh baby, we stepped into a seemingly unknown and unnatural realm that's all too familiar. It's like a myth where the hero finds himself in a Schwarzenegger movie. It's like a terrible game.

Things I've done yesterday and the day before that:
-Started coding menu
-Implemented basic movement engine, I'm just using the Grandma Engine by Matt Thorson, so okay
-Implemented basic transitions between room, using global x and y coordinates; for example: there can be two different rooms that can be reached from going up instead of just going up and going to one room that is up
-Some sprites
-Sketchy mock-up tileset and menu mock-up

Pan, stop punching yourself.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:29:27 AM by thernz » Logged

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »

I N F E R N O   O F   A N G E R   2
CHAPTER 1.0
Musings From a Label-Fable / Crossing Path With Pitt's Wraith

READING BGM:

He was built like a big, bustling bull, albeit with a mop rather than horns. Yet he rode a dinky little bike, lime-green with the physique of a girl, named Suzee Pai, petite honker and tassels on the side to not blow your mind. The man rode his tiny bicycle under a stream of bar signs. Downtown air had a pleasant weight in it. It was stale with a taste of brine, hot and dense from the crowds of stumbling friends and lonesome trunks. So there he whimsically twirled his Suzee Pai around corners, dodging drunks and hooligans, mob-bachelorettes as well as mob-bachelors. The man’s a total hunk by the way. He finally parked his bike in a modest corner on the fourth level of a parking garage, praying to God Almighty that no one would vomit or piss on it. That would be shameful, not only for the perpetrator but the man himself, his bike, and his family name.

Blue strobes on blue eyes, the man took a sip from his dainty mojito. His consciousness was so swelled onto itself not even a flurry of demonic jerks could separate him from his mix of rum and mints and his cold meandering thoughts. Not even the man ten centimeters away from him, talking about jerking off like he was in high school. Oh, and how this mojito’s straw was a succulent muse for amuse-less brain-banter. How would he pay this rent’s due? Did he feed Galford (Galford is his cat) today? Was it the special prescribed food? Did his girlfriend really look like an Asian Marianne Faithfull? Who will be left and what will be left of them? What is God? How a man could waste his hours away with such provoking questions. You can be sure that Descartes, Jung, and Plato all did.

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. The shoulder is one of the sacred body parts the person must immediately divert attention to if touched, along with the crotch, buttocks, face, and hands. Everything else is probably accidental, though that’s less probable if you’re a woman. The man shook his head toward the point of his harassment to meet the gaze of Tyler Durden. At least that was probably the most efficient way of describing the guy from his hair to his jacket, from his mannerisms to his ramblings.

READING BGM:

“I bet you’d be fucking fit for a girl’s bike,” the Tyler Durden quipped.

“I am trying to enjoy a mojito while probing my mind for universal truths,” the man replied, “Please do not bother me in this intimate moment.”

Tyler Durden’s forehead creased and he repeated what he said.

“You’re not one of those louts who get plastic surgery to look like your favorite characters, are you?”

“I have his looks. I have his voice. But I also have his passion. I am Brad Pitt. Whoever told you that there can’t be more than one of the same thing is a tool. Western philosophy is always about breaking down things to the atom. And why would you argue against that,” the Brad Pitt impersonator stretched out his arms like a spokesperson, “You’re in Western philosophy.” Both of Brad’s palms squashed against the man’s cheekbones and brought the head closer to his own face, “In a race of ideologies, you take the one that keeps you living.”

SOUND EFFECT

“I wasn’t talking about that,” the man said.

“What’s your name, hotshot?”

“Pan.”

Brad Pitt vaulted his hands off and almost fell off his seat. Bulging eyes like the sign of a botched surgery, it took him a few seconds to regain his calm composure. He massaged his neck like he took a hard shot.

“You’re the Pan who did that nasty work at the Shandar Industries factory back in 2042, aren’t you? Tough guy, you are, if not a completely brainless chav. What kind of goon does that sort of artwork with no follow-up? What? Got spineless in the aftermath of glory?”

Brad Pitt crossed his arms and grinned, “At least you look nice.” Pan thanked him for the compliment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:15:15 PM by thernz » Logged

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »

Click for his theme song.

-I tweaked control of the handstands.

I didn't actually mention that I added cartwheels or handstands earlier heh. The cartwheel is the dodge maneuver. It goes forward so it lets you get behind enemies. The handstand is similar to Mario's in GB Donkey Kong. It's a pivotal vanilla ability that will let Pan explore the vestiges of China.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »