Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:12:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNovus Dawn Prologue
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Novus Dawn Prologue  (Read 8291 times)
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »

CLOSED!

Well, not really! I've moved everything to the DevLog forum, so please head on over and follow the game there. Your feedback is much appreciated!  Beg

Novus Dawn DevLog
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:54:34 PM by Osteel » Logged
R3d
Level 0

TWAT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »

looks cool.

But I wish you could centering the game canvas in the screen

oh, hi there
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:58:06 PM »

Cool!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:00:51 AM »

Those pixels are gorgeous!
I've tried googling that Tim Jonsson fella but not much came up - where can I find more of his works?
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »

artwork looks great, specially the screenshots Smiley get some more images in the thread!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post more stuff as it comes in and when things are a bit more polished.

I actually found Tim in an old thread (lurking, I know) on wayofthepixel.net, and contacted him through looking for his username online. Here is his portfolio: http://paiku.weebly.com/index.html

Also, Gabriel. It's dedicated to you, you didn't know?  Well, hello there!
Daniel Seabra
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »

Everything about this is so beautiful. That is all.

I'm just some bloke. Going to go to Pasadena, CA, for four years so if you're over there gimme a shout-out. Will be cool to get to know some people.
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »

I've updated the first post with a new screenshot and five new songs, check them out! They have new! beside them!

Thanks.  Smiley
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »

PS, when I said more pictures I meant put more images in the actual thread rather than links.. there's plenty of actual pictures :]. Balance out the text with the sweet sweet graphics! don't hide them away Smiley

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »

Oh, haha. It's just that they're so big that I don't want scrolling images on the thread. Unless there's a way to embed a set size?
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »

Code:
[url=http://www.example.com/image.png]
[img height=300 width=300]http://www.example.com/image.png[/img]
[/url]
This will give you an image scaled to set dimensions, contained within a link to the full sized image. Or you can drop the url tags and just display the image.

Setting both dimensions will stretch the image if the proportions don't match. Setting just one will scale the other proportionately.
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »

Updated!

There's a ton of new songs and some art as well. We are also in the process of creating a website to put all of this plus some more information. Please leave your feedback, support is a real motivator!

@biomechanic

Thanks for much for the code. However, is there any way to align thumbnails horizontally? I want to avoid making a huge vertical list of images leaving the edges blank. Too much scrolling that way.

Thanks everyone! :D
Moczan
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »

Isometric strategy RPG = instant love  Kiss
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »

You should be able to use table tags to align images, it's not ideal but it's functional.

Beautiful visuals, just great.
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »

Hi guys!

I haven't updated this thread in a while, though I will in the near future so be sure to keep an eye out.

The reason for this post is to ask for some assistance. We are looking for two more people to help out with the game, and if you're willing and wanting to join us, please let me know either here or email: [email protected].

Before you read the positions, let me be clear that these are not paid positions. In fact, as this is a portfolio driven project, nobody is or has been paid during our time developing together over the last year. Although that might not be appealing, I hope it helps you realize we are still taking this very seriously and will do everything we can to ensure it is completed. Considering we are an international collaboration, it's pretty exciting! Gentleman

Developer FILLED
As the core game engine is pretty much complete, we are moving onto developing the game editors (map, scripting, etc.). In order to balance the load off our one (amazing) developer, we are looking for someone to assist him under his direction.

Since the editors can be made separately and then integrated into the Novus Dawn structure, this makes for a perfect opportunity to get caught up and involved.

UI Designer FILLED
We're in need of someone who can visually design the UI necessary for the game (buttons, overlays, etc) so that we can use them as test assets within the game engine and give feedback and so on.

Not only will this allow us to figure out what exactly we need and what works, it will also save Tim (pixel artist) from spending time creating them and having to make changes, if we first finalize a concept.

So yeah!

Let me know if you're interested. If you want to just talk, feel free to email too, I like talking - about this game, or whatever is on your mind.  Waaagh!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:39:02 AM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 04:42:16 AM »

We filled our positions! Thanks for everyone who emailed me, it's appreciated.

FILLED
However, we have opened up a new spot on the project and this one is going to be a tough one. We're looking for a pixel artist to help balance the load for our other artist, Tim. As he is back in school for game development (fitting!), he is having trouble keeping up with the amount of work needed.

So, we've decided to let him focus on sprite animation and we will look for someone else to handle the tilesheets for the game. Here's a little information about the role:

1. Required to pixel in the isometric perspective.
2. Able to produce a consistent look with the already existing tile sheets.

3. Payment is negotiable - we can discuss this via email.

And that's about it! Thanks a lot everyone.  Grin

As always, any feedback and questions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:38:08 PM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »

We have successfully (phew Epileptic) found a pixel artist to take on the secondary role. We are now a 10 person team of online collaborators.

Truly exciting what the Internet can do. We would love to hear any comments or questions you guys have about the project. I'll be updating the thread with new content soon once we get a few more entries in. I know it's long overdue, hehe.

Thanks!
Pasty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

i'm just blown away when thumbing through your screens. please finish this - there are never enough indie RPGs around.

also i'm very glad to see that you have a dedicated writer. all in all this is pretty nuts  Gentleman

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »

Hey, REALLY impressed with your stuff so far. The engine looks like it runs at a decent clip and the graphic / sound of course are really nice.

Is the engine 100% original? Does it build off of flixel or any other AS3 framework?

Also, in terms of gameplay, are you doing anything new with the tactical RPG formula?

Looking forward to what you guys do with this!

Nostrils!
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

Thanks for the kind compliments!

The game will play much like a traditional tactical RPG. That's primarily due to the fact the game was pretty ambitious to start out with and we don't want to overdo it considering 8/10 team members have never worked on a game before.  WTF

That said, we do have some relatively unique mechanics in how you can use skills and combos (with other characters) that utilize a different take on MP. Each unit can only hold 5MP which they can use to allocate towards using a skill/combo. The more MP you use, the better the skill is and sometimes results in bonuses like bleed or critical hits. MP is earned in a variety of ways including a random chance as the start of the units turn, or killing an enemy unit.

I'll be closing this thread though since we found everyone needed. I'll be moving everything to a new thread on the devLog forums where I'll update with new content there and write about the game, it's history and the sort of pitfalls we face as an international collaboration.

Thanks! :D
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic