Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:43:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGyossait (Formerly Nameless Flash Project 1) COMPLETE!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Gyossait (Formerly Nameless Flash Project 1) COMPLETE!  (Read 18712 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:59:49 PM »

Progress on my other title, JetPilot GoNOW continues, but alongside it I am now attempting to make my first game in flash.  This one is another horror-style game.  The game mechanics are still that of a simple platformer, but I'm hoping to use this as an exercise in better animations and color depth.  We'll see where this goes, for the meantime here's some development pictures.

UPDATE: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/582867

UPDATE: TRAILER

stay tuned, hope you like what you see Smiley
-Amon26
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:18:58 PM by Amon26 » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:25:29 PM »

gfx look good as usual; you haven't really done a platformer since au sable i think? (there was that first person shooter and some other weird games)

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:08:42 AM »

in late 2009-2010 i was making a deathmatch platformer called 2in, but the computer I was using crashed really bad, covered the hard disk in bad sectors.  I was also going to make a game similar to that called "Gigo" that's forever lost. So I feel like maybe I had more platformers than that were made publicly aware.

While grinding away on JetPilot, a friend contacted me who has been wanting me to get into flash, he showed me one of the newer wysiwyg dev. kits for flash and gave me a little money as incentive to start working on something.  As I learned the language and interface I tried to think of what I wanted to make, what wouldn't be too hard to create and whipped up a platformer engine.

originally the idea was that each screen would be a stationary, self contained puzzle the player had to solve (a'la Sutef) but once I learned the camera controls I decided to spread out.

The protagonist has no weapon, only a shield which automatically raises whenever he is stationary. It can deflect projectiles back at enemies, stop fire or acid.  The rough motif of the game is of a god descended, seeking something unobtainable as the grand eye and creator, but within reach as a finite creature.  Leaving all it's world and work to ruin in search of it..... or some shit like dat!

faces, fetuses, and undulating impossible geometry here we come!!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »

While making assets I accidentally created DeathMetal Darth Vader, I was trying to make a creepy soldier-face but in the end it just came out looking way too heavy-handed and..yeah so here, have a look for the lulz

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:23 PM »

I'm looking forward to this so hard that my eyes are falling out. I adored AOOFAD/Au Sable, so I've got high expectations for this!

Godspeed. Beer!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »

Thanks, Painting!  Gona do my best to not let ya down <3  It might be a little on the short side. but we'll see!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 02:31:52 AM »

Beginning a new enemy, its got a length of nerve running from the spinal cord into the gun like an ammo belt. when the gun shoots the nerve gets sucked out and the red cross-shape gets pulled down closer to the body.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:30:10 AM »

getting the feel, hallucinations/flashbacks. the end will be as the beginning.

Sir Knight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »

Hey, how did this go so long without comment on those screenshots?  They're great!

The progression in your creepy videogames has been wonderful to follow.  I played AOOFAD, and I played Au Sable, and I noticed a general increase in "graphic depth" even as everything stayed so deliberately blocky.  Here, I'm getting a feel akin to really old pixel-drawn adventure games, just with extra madness.  I don't know how you make these blocky horrors from beyond all imagining work so well.

Beginning a new enemy, its got a length of nerve running from the spinal cord into the gun like an ammo belt. when the gun shoots the nerve gets sucked out and the red cross-shape gets pulled down closer to the body.

The last time I saw something like that, it was the "Doughboy" from Irrational Games' cancelled project, The Lost:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/thelost_030502_17.jpg

In that case, it was the intestine of a poor damned fellow being fed into a machine gun.  Nasty enough.

getting the feel, hallucinations/flashbacks. the end will be as the beginning.

Would it truly be an Amon26 project without hallucinations/flashbacks?  Truly?

In any case, would you care to discuss your inspiration for this stuff?

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I'm trying to make sprites with deeper color and richer animation while keeping the muted palette punctuated by reds.  This one's shaping up to be a slower, more puzzle based. You might not even have any kind of weapon at all, only the ability to deflect projectiles back at enemies.  Im still testing some stuff out though.

In any case, would you care to discuss your inspiration for this stuff?

The ideas come from the same nightmare place ausable/aoofad did. I've also been a big fan of Tom Waits for a long time and took inspiration from songs like "The Earth Died Screaming", "God's Away on Business" and "Dirt In The Ground".

I wanted to try making a story about the creator of all things forsaking his pace.  Lowered to a finite beast being tested, lured, and tempted along a path to some unknown glory. Not in a holy or nurturing way, but in the way of a lonesome ghost with a heavy regret. So heavy all the work of the world and man would be worth sacrificing.

What if a god had to descend to transcend? And what would he become?

:whome:Woo! Heavy stuff!  Did I mention I'm also making a totally slapstick, comedic rainbow colored shooter on the off-weeks?? Now there's something to stir in your drink.

-A
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »

just a little visual update. the start of the game is pretty but not much "game" in it. now im getting to the "game" part. its fun, funky, totally doesn't feel like ausable/aoofad at the moment. (at least, to me)
Android-Music
Level 0

Musician, That's all.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:23:59 PM »

I think graphics are way better than in previous games(though  I love them too, my fav was "All of Our Friends are Dead"), looks smooth, feels drawn more pro than usual. Thumbs up, Amon!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

EDIT: some screenshots reminded me Shinobi 3 and old Ninja Gaiden a lil bit! :D

http://georgedziov.com/
Try my new metal pack - http://gameprefabs.com/products/show/399
Game Developers O.C. - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/144438572289633/
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »

funfact: Ninja Gaiden 3 creeps my shit right out. I should have another run through that and shinobi for inspiration.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »

Holy fuck, you're pixels are stunning as always!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »

..advice dog..
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »

title.

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »

having fun with clay. decided to make the subject one of the priestesses from gyossait. thought i'd share.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 06:16:37 AM »

Very nice work!

PS I have a not-so-secret love for bizarre pseudolanguages and evocative letter-like-things in games, whether they actually mean anything or not, so that title page is mmffmffggbf

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »

you made that with clay? It's very well done

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

Thanks moi. I've been struggling with heavy depression lately and trying to do exercises creatively and socially to get myself back in form.  one of them was to try sculpting again.  I found some a mold for doll parts at a craft shop and decided to buy it and see what angle i could take on making a doll.

as for hangedman's response to the rune-like script, it's an actual alphabet called theban.  to the best of my research it emerged in the 1500s. apparently it's used in modern day wicca but was originally a cipher to encode such writings from religious scrutiny.  It's been also called "the angelic alphabet" so on that principal I decided to make it the native-language of the protagonist.  So the runes in the title actually spell "gyossait"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic