Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:41:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMemory of a Broken Dimension
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Memory of a Broken Dimension  (Read 35623 times)
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:57 AM »

This looks super-awesome. I particularly love the (floating?) sofa.
I assume crypticness and vagueness are necessary, but can you reveal any more information about the setup/story/scenario?
thanks,sean
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »

This looks super-awesome. I particularly love the (floating?) sofa.
I assume crypticness and vagueness are necessary, but can you reveal any more information about the setup/story/scenario?
thanks,sean

Any updates on this?

The graphic style looks highly intriguing and unique Smiley

Did you make this using Unity? If so how?

I've been using Unity to build it, Sketchup for the level design (using PlayUp for export into Unity) and the amazing tool 3D Coat is being used for 3d modeling needs, but I haven't been creating many props just yet- just the sofa. 

I'm learning about shaders as I go, a lot of work has gone into them, it comes from a process of trial and error + experimentation which is really enjoyable.  The main breakthrough was researching how a velocity buffer is generated, usually used for per-object motion blur, it colors objects with vertex-color based on how far each vertice has moved since the last frame.  Then the color information can be used to input into other shaders which handle the distortion and glitches. 

The way I'm using the velocity buffer is a bit similar to how some video compression works with motion vectors to blend between frames:

A general theme is a sort of DIY, voyeuristic exploration of space, hacking into satellites and making use of their data.  I used to browse through public NASA and related ftps which have realtime data and images constantly being transmitted from weather satellites viewing the earth, same goes for things like the SOHO satellite monitoring the sun, totally enjoy that stuff. 
So a question is, what if you could access any range of data transmission, what is out there that is being studied and not public knowledge? (+ a ton of fictional stuff)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:10:52 AM by XRA » Logged

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 01:37:07 AM »

ooooohhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I want this now!  Beg

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »

This looks phenomenal. Not a million miles away visually from some ideas I've had recently, but realised in such an incredible way. I can not wait to play.

What are your plans sound/music wise?

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 01:47:41 AM »

started working on some 3d interface stuff,,,,,

What are your plans sound/music wise?
maybe a mix of synth/drone stuff, Terminator 1 soundtrack played at half tempo + grainy field recordings of cavernous spaces..? not too sure yet, but I'd like the audio to react to the visuals and feel interactive
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:56:09 AM by XRA » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:55 AM »

started working on some 3d interface stuff,,,,,

That looks awesome

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:11 AM »

maybe a mix of synth/drone stuff, Terminator 1 soundtrack played at half tempo + grainy field recordings of cavernous spaces..? not too sure yet, but I'd like the audio to react to the visuals and feel interactive

when this devlog first went up, I IMMEDIATELY thought of Alliceffect for the music/soundscape: http://wiki.xxiivv.com/Aliceffekt

regardless, this is amazing work. I can't wait to play it in the dark at 4am

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »

Holy crap, that's some awesome visuals and effects!  Shocked Did you apply a filter on the camera or is this shaders on the objects in the scene?

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 08:39:15 AM »

How did I miss this.
It's so visually fresh, this shader effect deserves more love.
The glitches and anomalies have me overly curious about this project so, god speed you.

I can't stop looking at this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:44:41 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »

I'm so looking forward to this, even though I have no idea what it is.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »

when this devlog first went up, I IMMEDIATELY thought of Alliceffect for the music/soundscape: http://wiki.xxiivv.com/Aliceffekt

regardless, this is amazing work. I can't wait to play it in the dark at 4am

ooh yeah, I'm familiar with his work, also his interactive stuff.   The thing I'm going to need to do first is figure out a main theme, probably with external help- something that sounds great on piano for example and then explore different treatments of the theme music.

I keep an inspiration folder for the project and have been putting songs in there occasionally that have elements I like, they can be referenced later while working on the audio.

Holy crap, that's some awesome visuals and effects!  Shocked Did you apply a filter on the camera or is this shaders on the objects in the scene?
A mix of both, a lot of the environment materials dissolve away over distance from the camera using the Clip function, there are also layers floating in front of the Player's camera for HUD and interference/noise effects- right now there are 3 cameras total, the main view, UI and skybox.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

This is still looking ga-narly. Sound-wise, would be cool to have someone whispering to you the whole time.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

You're using Unity Pro, correct?
If not, how are you achieving screen-space shaders? :O

EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »

This is incredible looking.  I cannot wait to see this in motion!
screwtape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:43 AM »

Really beautiful, atmospheric shaders there.
The screenshots alone are eerie, this is going to be amazing!
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 12:51:12 AM »

started working on a boot system / command prompt thing tonight for the Player to use... I'm thinking this is how the game might start

I know it should be a backslash  Corny Laugh

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »

Ninja
http://www.datatragedy.com/wipmoabd/

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »

Really nice visual interface of the command prompt. Tried login but then didn't know if there was anything I could write so just tried random words  Smiley Looking really nice so far though. Liking the glitches.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2012, 11:40:30 PM »

The command prompt is amazing! It's absolutely beautiful to play with.

"Login: Case" - fan of Neuromancer by any chance? Smiley

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2012, 02:01:08 AM »

Wow, that login screen is just... Frightening..
I was constantly waiting for something to jump at my face at sometime.. Really well done. I can see this building up suspense alot. I dont know what to do at the interface though, I couldnt login. I imagine these "broken signs" could be something you have to race against if you want to login, before they take over the console.
The other visuals you posted kind of remind me of the whole berlin dubtechno glitchy / experimental flair like work by Shed, Marcel Dettmann, Ben Klock.. Looks like some spot on cover-art.
Is it all (also the 3d shaders) done in unity?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:54:55 AM by dek » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic