Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:39:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Humble Indie Bundle #3
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle #3  (Read 40923 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »

I find the image out of place too. If you make something 'pay what you want' then let people pay what they want to pay. If you want people to pay at least a $1 then make it a $1+ sale. This 'pay what you want but we'll guilt trip you if we don't like the amount' stance doesn't sit right with me.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2011, 02:13:16 AM »

As I said before, guilt tripping is sort of implicit in the "pay what you want" model. Wolfire are just pushing it a bit further than most with the statistics and that image. And it's working too, so well in fact that people on forums and blog comment sections are trying to guilt trip each other into paying more.
Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2011, 04:32:30 AM »

Really! Really!? Lighten up people it's a joke!

There's too little love in this community these days.

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:12 AM »

Oh dear, and all thbat because I had a laugh when I read "you've got no heart, prove you're no robot".

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2011, 04:41:11 AM »

gotta make a mountain out of one of these molehills.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2011, 05:37:41 AM »

Oh, I got a laugh from "It appears you've got no heart, prove you're no robot" too. Just saying I know why the starving indie pic may seem a bit out of place for some people.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:44 AM »

I don't know, I haven't really seen people comment about it, outside of this place. Seems like some sort of pre-emptive defense to me.
But thinking about it, ye it does ring the guilt-trip bell. But so does showing averages based on platforms, to invoke good old platform wars or showing the top 10 contributors by a chosen name, or the entire principle of it. For example, it starts with the sentence "it would cost around $50, but we're letting you set the price!" which to my sarcastic and cynic mind translates into: "ye, you know it would be 50 bucks but go ahead, rip us off, think you can do better? set your price then, eh? but know it should be 50 bucks. Ye and here's what others thing you should pay, so pay what you want but really, do know what others pay...".
Yes my mind does wander off like that, now to go and fucking catch it again.

Anyways, I think it's fine and within the scope of the project.
If anything though, I'd love more detailed statistics concerning the average. I really want to know how many people actually did pay less than 1$ and saw that image. If possible i'd also love to see how many saw the image and decided to not purchase the bundle during that visit.

/edit: preemptive post button accident... editing
done

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2011, 06:32:11 AM »

guys i'm not just talking about that one picture, i'm talking about stuff like this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/15/humble-frozenbyte-bundle-success/#comments
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:38:11 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Theophilus
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »

Steel Storm is now on the bundle.
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »

Steel Storm is now on the bundle.
Yes, Episode 2. Episode 1 can be downloaded free here.
EDIT: The game is gonna be activated on Steam shortly.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:03:57 AM by Nikica » Logged
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »

I find this strange. Last I remember it didn't have radio buttons and was just a textbox.. Huh.
Why did they even give the $100 option explicitly? That doesn't seem very humble.

Nix
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »

Why is everyone whining about the opportunity to get a pack of great games for a ridiculously low price. Who cares if they pull at your heartstrings. If you feel guilty, then you should probably be paying more
Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

Obviously they should encourage people to pay as little as possible. Anything else can hardly be called humble...

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »

I kinda understand phubans in this. If you are starving, or indie game development is "like a concentration camp" for you, just get a damn job. If not - and in fact you are doing well - stop complaining.

I get that the pic isn't to be taken very seriously, but it does look kinda awkward next to the million dollar sales stats.

yeah but you say 'get a job' like it's easy. remember that we're in a global recession, with like 9% unemployment in the US (more in some countries)

that said, anyone who gets into the humble indie game bundle will never need to have a job ever again, because based on past bundles they're likely to make hundreds of thousands of dollars each, so it's a bit disingenuous to use that pic there. the actually poor indies are not the ones who get into the humble bundle

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

I take it as a joke of the indie-scene and therefore find it funny. For someone who isn't familiar with indie-games and poor developers associated to it may find it a bit strange though with all those statistic displayed.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »

that said, anyone who gets into the humble indie game bundle will never need to have a job ever again, because based on past bundles they're likely to make hundreds of thousands of dollars each
"hundreds of thousands of dollars" is not enough nowadays for "never need to have a job ever again".

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »

Why is everyone whining about the opportunity to get a pack of great games for a ridiculously low price. Who cares if they pull at your heartstrings. If you feel guilty, then you should probably be paying more
All I'm saying is I find guilt tripping kind of questionable as a marketing tactic.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »

that said, anyone who gets into the humble indie game bundle will never need to have a job ever again, because based on past bundles they're likely to make hundreds of thousands of dollars each
"hundreds of thousands of dollars" is not enough nowadays for "never need to have a job ever again".

sure it is. let's say it's 500,000 and you invest it in mutual funds or something. the interest for that per year at ~5% is $25,000 a year, which you can live off of relatively easily for a single person.

Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »

i thought the pic was joking about how a lot of indiegam sales used to come from other more or less known indiegam developers and "indie gamers" at one point who are all obviously in the 9% unemployment poorclub

dunno

indy games are a bull shit
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »

sure it is. let's say it's 500,000 and you invest it in mutual funds or something. the interest for that per year at ~5% is $25,000 a year, which you can live off of relatively easily for a single person.
Unless you're MC Hammer.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic