Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:29:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSkyward Sword
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Skyward Sword  (Read 78414 times)
Sabby
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »

Generally wondering how the public feels about Skyward Sword and the Zelda franchise in general. Think they're being "exciting" enough with it?

(Personally, I want to see either a steampunk or futuristic zelda. I don't see any reason not to on Nintendo's part)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »

I've noticed that all of the companies that constantly reuse a franchise to death are suddenly taking those franchises back to their roots. We got "New Super Mario Bros." and that new Donkey Kong Country and now a zelda game that feels much like Ocarina of Time. I don't think this is a bad things as all of these seem to be enjoyable. In short, I'm excited, but not so much that I'm wetting myself.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »

I preordered the game- it's a Zelda, so it's gonna be at the very least hella solid. But the motion control stuff looks like fun, and the style is pleasing to the eye. Plus, robot beetle- tell me that's not awesome.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »

what's Zelda?

It's a flight simulator. Right?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »

Uh... Twilight Princess was the one that was like OOT. Skyward Sword is actually supposed to be a major departure from the traditional Zelda formula, which, coupled with the ostensibly "more complex" combat, sort of makes me worry it's going to be a linear hackfest with corridor levels a la God of War. But we'll see.

I also didn't think the NSMB games were all that. Sure, they were enjoyble and competently made and whatnot but they somehow lack that special something that made games like Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World great and memorable.
JoGribbs
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »

Looks good. Imma buy it.

No wait I mean Zelda x was better. Sorry.
MaloEspada
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »

it's a Zelda, so it's gonna be at the very least hella solid. But the motion control stuff looks like fun, and the style is pleasing to the eye. Plus, robot beetle- tell me that's not awesome.

i agree with every word on this
also i'm interested in the story of this game, specially because of the timeline stuff. it looks like it's the first game in the timeline (either pre-minish cap or immediately after it) so i guess a lot of stuff is gonna be put in motion and explained. for example, the hylian shields have the bird and this game has those birds too, etc.
Sakar
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »

I'll have to locate my Wii for this game. Been so long since I've used it.

I've always liked the Zelda games, so I'll give this a shot.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »

Uh... Twilight Princess was the one that was like OOT. Skyward Sword is actually supposed to be a major departure from the traditional Zelda formula, which, coupled with the ostensibly "more complex" combat, sort of makes me worry it's going to be a linear hackfest with corridor levels a la God of War. But we'll see.
Well it probably depends on the player. For me, Twilight Princess seemed like the same old Zelda, but much darker and "adult" style. It seemed like they were aiming to please old zelda fans that had gotten older. Skyward Sword on the other hand feels like it's going back to the old light-hearted style and the visuals very much remind me of OOT. Not that they are the same, but if OOT was re-made entirely then I'd imagine the visuals would be something like Skyward Sword. Either way, I'm still a little excited and hopeful.

I also didn't think the NSMB games were all that. Sure, they were enjoyble and competently made and whatnot but they somehow lack that special something that made games like Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World great and memorable.

I didn't play NSMB much, and I agree that they weren't as interesting as the originals, but it was still nice to play a new game in the old style.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »

I've never thought of OOT as a "light-hearted" game. It's actually pretty dark compared to most other Zeldas.

Whatever.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »

I've never thought of OOT as a "light-hearted" game. It's actually pretty dark compared to most other Zeldas.

Whatever.
Yeah, the entire world was doomed and you were the only one that could save it, yet characters are constantly being completely goofy and comedic. Seemed like a light-hearted epic adventure to me. But I guess it depends on the player's perspective.

JoGribbs
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »

Majora's Mask often get's called like 'the darkest Zelda', even though it's themes are basically just an extension of those found in Ocarina i.e. growing up and it's assorted implications. They're the perfect companion pieces in my eyes.

I thought Twilight Princess was great and now I think it's kind of poo. I hope Skyward Sword is better than the terrible DS efforts at least.
MaloEspada
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »

i never had much of a problem with twilight princess. personally, i enjoy its dark aspects just as much as i like the dark mood in majora. compared to oot, those two games are a lot darker imo.

the first DS game had serious design issues, which were mostly fixed in the second DS game.
spirit tracks was good!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »

OOT has lots of dark imagery. The adult version of Hyrule Castle Town, the Forest and Shadow temples, the graveyard, the bottom of the well mini dungeon, Ganon's castle, the Temple of Time which is basically a huge gothic cathedral are all pretty dark places.

Yeah, Majora's and Twilight are darker but that wasn't the point.

Twilight is decent. It's just that its world is kind of boring and there are no really interesting sidequests. Both DS games are decent as well but nothing to write home about imo. I didn't like graphics in those btw, the fact that they're 3D but use a type of scale usually associated with top-down 2d games (Link being as tall as dungeon walls etc) makes it look like you're playing with toys. When I play Zelda I want to be immersed in a fantasy world and those graphics sort of killed that aspect for me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:29:31 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
JoGribbs
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

I get that Spirit Tracks was trying to fix things wrong with Phantom Hourglass, and I'll freely admit that it's better, but I still don't think it's a good game. The dungeoning and puzzles and stuff was good but the train stuff was dull and the game relied too heavily on a story that was lightweight and meaningless. It doesn't help that the game takes like an hour before you do anything remotely Zelda-y; should be illegal in a handheld game (or really any game).

Twilight Princess was well made but too linear and narrative driven. Not enough exploration or social interaction made the game world and the cities feel dead. Comments Aonuma has made about Skyloft in the next one have me pleased because it looks like it's going to function like Clock town in Majora sort of.

Also, yeah, Ocarina had some super disturbing images. One that sticks with me is the log that you have to walk through to get out of Kokiri forest. They make it clear that leaving the forest means Link, and therefore the player, is going to die.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »

Ocarina and majora have darker undertone and was also the first (and only?) zelda game with blood ... The story of link is mire with dead too (his mother) there is many character with fresh loss in majora too. Pretty dark for a first party nintendo game, at least we avoid ingo burning lon lon ranch as miyamoto wanted.

LOT of backtracking is already confirm, you have to come back to hgather resource in old map whatever that mean,shield have health meter nd there is the two world mechanics that makes a come back (you can call the sword to human form and you are in an alternative dimension where you haven't sword).

look like anything but corridor.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »

Also, yeah, Ocarina had some super disturbing images. One that sticks with me is the log that you have to walk through to get out of Kokiri forest. They make it clear that leaving the forest means Link, and therefore the player, is going to die.

Well, really he would died in that forest anyway since he wasn't truly one of them. I think they did that to show how brave Link was (since he didn't know at the time that he was a normal human). I guess it was kind of a dark thought to hearing when you're a kid, but it didn't seem too dark at the time, what with cheesy facial expressions.

MaloEspada
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »

@jogr
maybe it's just me but i loved the way princess zelda was implemented as a proper character for the first time in a zelda game. she was fun to have around and finally was given a personality (and you could even say she abandoned her role of kidnapped princess, if only for this game). with that said, i think the story was decentish and i admit i liked the lightweight in it. nothing mind-blowing though, of course.

dungeons and puzzles were as good as ever (they even have mother3's rope snake as an item!) and while the train parts aren't the most entertaining thing, i feel it's an okay replacement for the boat. i mean, the boat in PH wasn't so good either. i think only WW managed to pull a "vehicle-based" overworld properly so far. also i honestly don't remember the game taking one hour to "kick-in" but maybe my memory is pulling tricks on me

twilight princess was as dead as it could be. at least in oot/mm/ww you had these little locations and oddities you could find in the fields and towns, like holes and the unique islands. it seems they are going back to the "island overworld" from ww, this time in the sky, and that's a nice sign at least
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »

Sailing in WW got pretty boring halfway through the game tbh. As did everything else. The OMG SO ARTSY AND DIFFERENT graphics did a pretty good job of distracting me from how bland everything was for a while tho.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »

I felt like Majora's Mask was the darkest of them. Not only were there a lot of ghosts, suffering goron, and the like, there was the constant impending doom of the crashing moon that never went away, it could only be staved off temporarily by resetting time.

Twilight Princess was positively light-hearted. You banish the shadows almost immediately from most of the world, and then the rest of the game has you gallivanting as the hero who is slowly unwinding the grip of evil, as opposed to OoT where Ganon rules over all as master and you're simply trying to end his reign of terror in progress.

So far Skyward Sword looks to be more lighthearted than OoT, but of course I don't know enough to judge it.

I'll be certainly getting it. I have yet to buy a Zelda game that wasn't worth a day-one purchase.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic