Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:53:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSkyward Sword
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Skyward Sword  (Read 78421 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »

for example, the hylian shields have the bird and this game has those birds too, etc.

Crap, I totally missed that... that makes a whole lot more sense.

I'm personally not too worried about combat, but the fact that they were trying to make the dungeons and overworld more 'seamless' intrigues me. I'm hoping this game is gonna be along the lines of Pokemon Black and White- from what I hear, those too didn't really reinvent the wheel but changed just enough to make it feel fresh.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »

lol i bought polkamons black because everyone told me it was a "breath of fresh air" (i hadn't touched a pokermen game since gold/silver). idk but it felt exactly like the old games to me. one of the biggest wastes of money of the year for me, second only to duke nukem forever.

maybe it's unfair to judge pokemon on those terms tho because the "sequels" are more or less just content updates for the fans with a few small extra features thrown in (monster hunter works the same way). im neither a "fan" nor am i new to the series so im probably not the target audience for their sequel strategy.
JoGribbs
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 12:23:44 AM »

Well, really he would died in that forest anyway since he wasn't truly one of them. I think they did that to show how brave Link was (since he didn't know at the time that he was a normal human). I guess it was kind of a dark thought to hearing when you're a kid, but it didn't seem too dark at the time, what with cheesy facial expressions.
But Link nor the player knew that he was really human. They make it clear that those who stay within Kokiri forest will live forever, so by making a decision to leave the player is chosing to leave behind their immortality. Yeah, later it's revealed that it wasn't the case but the choice is still important.

@ rdein
I just feel like the great content in Spirit Tracks is buried under too much shit. The story never engaged me, so I wasn't going for it when the game was using that to try and motivate me. I actually liked the sailing in Wind Waker, but I hated it in Phantom Hourglass and the train in Spirit Tracks. It was just dull, and all it really accomplished was to waste my time: 'I want to go here' I say and then the game goes 'okay, play this minigame!'. I felt a lot of what was going on in those bits was just to prevent the player putting the DS down (cows on the track, evil trains etc.). That final boss where you have to play pac man with trains is absolutely infuriating. Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda I haven't beat because I fucking stabbed this pig thing and then it asked me to play the flute at it, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't do it.

So yeah, I feel like if they had taken out the train (MC style overworld of connected areas) and maybe had the story be less 'in your face', I would have liked it a whole lot better. As is it's the one of the Zelda's I don't ever really wanna play again.

@SirNiko
It's the difference between having a bad guy who's dressed in black and presenting something that's actually scary. Scariest parts of TP = That cutscene after you meet the water spirit and maybe that bit where Zant confronts you directly.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »

I loved pretty much all of wind waker - the only part that bugged me was that there weren't enough enemies/obstacles in the ocean, so sailing became mostly just pointing yourself in a direction and waiting.

Twilight Princess left me largely unimpressed due to its lack of content and super linear progression. Also agree with SirNiko re: darkness - it wasn't very.

I'm loving the look of Skyward Sword so far, and hoping it doesn't turn out to be another TP. Give me stuff to do! Let me explore! This is where I think MM and WW excelled most: so much to do. Never felt like the game was forcing me through something.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »

LOT of backtracking is already confirm, you have to come back to hgather resource in old map whatever that mean,shield have health meter nd there is the two world mechanics that makes a come back (you can call the sword to human form and you are in an alternative dimension where you haven't sword).

look like anything but corridor.
Overlooked this post.

Sounds great actually! Now put in some neat sidequests and secrets and WE HAVE A DEAL.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 02:57:37 AM »

The "Gather Resource" mechanic sounds like the Faces of Evil CD-i Zelda game. You had to kill the snow monsters for snowballs, then use the snowballs to kill otherwise-invincible fire monsters for flaming rocks, then take back the flaming rocks to the ice level to kill the otherwise-invincible ice monsters.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 03:03:45 AM »

Wait, you actually PLAYED that?
JoGribbs
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 05:41:58 AM »

Stuff
- Majora's Mask was done in Japan before localization in the states started
- Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess both used simultaneous localization
- there were some finer details in the story that were changed in these projects
- Skyward Sword ties into Ocarina of Time
- Nintendo fears that if they put out an official timeline, they'll be limited with future Zelda ideas
- There is a a master document for the Zelda timeline, but it's kept under wraps
- it contains overall plans for the series
- Skyward Sword will be 'tremendously expansive'
- Nintendo says there's nothing else like it as far as motion control goes
- Looking at holiday release this year
- More details on Golden Wiimomte and other info later on
- More events and activities surrounding Zelda to come
- Skyward Sword blends overworld and dungeon elements
- more puzzle and exploration than before
- Bill Trinen hasn't finished the game yet, but he believes it to be one of his favorite Zelda games ever
- the Wii U tech demo doesn't necessarily show where Nintendo will go with Zelda on Wii U
- Skyward Sword starts off in Skyloft
- The game kicks off with a series of events that sets Link on an adventure below the clouds to save Zelda
- the game involves lots of mystery elements, including why you can't quite catch up to Zelda when trying to rescue her
- Link's female companion isn't the sword exactly, but a spirit in the sword
- she guides Link on his adventure
- Ghirahim is following Link at one point, but Link isn't aware of it
- The E3 battle with Ghirahim is the first time Link comes in contact with him
- You don't know why he is going after Zelda
- there are a lot of new character races in Skyward Sword, more than what we've seen at E3
- you will visit familiar places in Skyward Sword, but they may or may not be part of Hyrule
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »

- Skyward Sword blends overworld and dungeon elements
- more puzzle and exploration than before
- the game involves lots of mystery elements, including why you can't quite catch up to Zelda when trying to rescue her
- you will visit familiar places in Skyward Sword, but they may or may not be part of Hyrule
God fucking dammit, this game just went straight to number two of my nonexistent "games i'm waiting for" list. Dark Souls is still number 1 though.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 07:36:46 AM »

I like how Skyward Sword progressively turns more and more interesting over time. At first, I was completely unimpressed but now that things are shaping up and being revealed, I have a bit more interest.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:57:08 AM by thernz » Logged

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 07:54:47 AM »

Yup, I don't wanna sound overenthusiastic but if it delivers on these promises it could be the best Zelda since Majora.

jogr wtf is up with your avatar? it's disturbing.

and how is your name supposed to be pronounced? i'm pronouncing it as "joe-ger."
JoGribbs
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 08:19:50 AM »

That's for me to know and you to search 'chinese mickey mouse' on youtube for.

In my head I just read out the letters but you're free to pronounce it however you want. 'Yoe-jer' sounds interesting (I might just change it to my real name again. I don't really care :/).

But yes, I thought the E3 2010 presentation of the game was awful, and I was dreading at the time that the game would be absolutely terrible. Now I'm really excited for it though. Hopefully they'll announce a release soon.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »

That's for me to know and you to search 'chinese mickey mouse' on youtube for.
Crazy Droop Epileptic Concerned WTF
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »

Wait, you actually PLAYED that?

My brother found a CD-i player in a back room of the Sears where he works, and after quizzing management they sold it to him for a twenty spot, and gave him a stack of old Sears training CD-i discs (with hilarious games on them like solving questions about Sears camera merchandise to help Coco the Monkey get his camera back from a thieving toucan).

We couldn't find any CD-i discs at the flea market, so we resorted to burning a few. Among the mix we burned both of the Zelda CD-i games (Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil). They are extremely clunky (the controller for the CD-i is not well configured for a platformer) but I did actually play through both games in their entirety on a CD-i player with a CD-i remote.

The cutscenes are hilariously over-the-top, and contain a lot of unintentional humor. The story is actually a bit fun, as you have to travel around a bit and collect some cool items (like a magic helmet that lets you hover jump) and some of the animated representations of classic Zelda monsters are kind of cool.

The game has beautiful backgrounds, which if they didn't contain so many hard-to-spot ledges would be on the top of my list for gorgeous settings in a Zelda game. The music was also excellent, so tromping around the snow realm collecting snowballs was actually not so bad. Each game features over a dozen completely unique locations ranging from haunted forests to clifftop mines to a ship graveyard suspended over a crevasse to an evil carnival.

The controls are awful, though if you emulated with with a keyboard it'd probably be less of a problem. The game is pretty repetitive because you have a lot of limited use consumables you have to go and restock between expeditions.
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 09:08:07 PM »

All, I can say is, Skyward Sword damn well BETTER be interesting, because they nearly lost me as a customer with the whole "Link holds his sword in his right hand" thing.

(If you think I am joking, then you don't know fanboyism)
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »

you must hate fighting games
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

Link is the most famous lefty in vidgam history.
johnnoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »

I was always more annoyed by the fact that they flipped THE ENTIRE GAME WORLD along with Link. I love Twilight Princess but now everything's backwards in by head now AND IT HURTS MY BRAIN.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »

In all honesty, they probably mirrored the whole game because it was easier to do that than to redo all of Link's combat animations.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »

only on wii, play gc TP

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic