Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:59:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingZed and Ginger v0.4.0 (beta)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Zed and Ginger v0.4.0 (beta)  (Read 9353 times)
Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »

Zed and Ginger v0.4.0

See the cat run,
        See the cat jump,
    See it get electrocuted
    then burned to a crisp!

Playing with ratoids in the factory:

Avoiding balls of lightning through use of teleporters:

Run to the right to finish the race within the time limit in order to unlock the next level. Nothing more than that to it, really!

You can play as Zed, Ginger or as both of them (local multi-player). All keys can be configured in-game now, but the defaults are:

* Zed moves with WASD and jumps with Space.
* Ginger moves with arrow keys and jumps with Return/Enter.

This is inspired by the classic

game, but I've added some more things and mixed it up a bit.

Still early days, but I thought I'd see how people felt about it. Lots of things missing, such as a lot of sounds (I really need better death sounds). Only 5 levels with three themes, but obviously want to expand on that and, particularly, make the level design less terrible :D

Music was composed for the game by Maverick! Many thanks!

I'm creating the game with a newly released game library for Ruby, called Ray.

As always, all feedback is welcome and much appreciated!

Zed and Ginger site

* Zed and Ginger homepage
* Downloads page - Windows executable & OS X/Linux Ruby source (Note that for OS X, the game must be run from the Ruby source - sorry!).
* View online high-scores

Videos

The videos appear jerky, because of my screen-capture software working at around 12fps. The actual game, however, runs at 60-150fps on my machine in normal circumstances.

* Watch old video of level 2 @ Youtube (not completely up to date and so has randomly picked music rather than the original game music)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:36:27 AM by Spooner » Logged

Unity of Command (ex-lead programmer) and my personal games
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »

this looks interesting, but I won't try it because of WASD

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »

Yeah, it isn't 100% usual to use those keys with this sort of game, but that does seem a bit harsh!

My ultimate intention was for player 1 to use WASD and player 2 to use arrows (as defaults), but I haven't got as far as making the two player mode or an in-game controls editor. As I mention in my original post, it isn't hard to edit zed_and_ginger.dat (which is only created after the game is started for the first time, in the same directory as the executable). Just change the last 5 lines of that file, in order to enable what I imagine is the system that you are implying you would like to have been the default:

Code:

left: left
    right: right
    up: up
    down: down
    jump: space

Note that exact indentation is very important in that YAML file or it won't load (it should be obvious how it is laid out if you look at it).

EDIT: Added an up-to-date video

EDIT2: No longer need to edit keys manually (and, in fact, you shouldn't). Just press the [Controls] button in the main menu of the game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:08:45 PM by Spooner » Logged

Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »

v0.2.0 - Two-player hardcore inversion

Downloads page - Windows executable & OS X/Linux Ruby source

Two player mode camera. View zooms out if cats get too far apart, then splits.

* Added full-screen toggle button in menu (runs at native resolution in full-screen).
  * Added key configuration in-game and separate key settings for each of the interplanetary felines.
  * Now, by default, Zed uses WASD with <space> and Ginger uses the arrows with <enter>.
  * Reduced level loading time by over half, which stops the game freezing at start of level (thanks Fowl).
  * Added Hardcore mutator (one life per level, rather than unlimited).
  * Added Inversion mutator (space ship is upside down).
  * Added 2-player local racing mode (same screen, but zooms and then splits if you are far apart)!
  * Reduced down-time when "killed", so that someone being disabled for a little while doesn't guarantee a loss.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:16:58 AM by Spooner » Logged

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:26:29 PM »

At start up I get a blank white screen and hear the music, then it crashes when I try to click anything.  Concerned

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:19:25 PM »

Had a quick play, it works, and looks great. The controls seem a bit funny, and its very jarring when you slow down or speed up. One other small thing, I spent a little bit looking for the 'play' button on the title screen, before realising what to do to play. You might wanna fix this, or not. Smiley

Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »

Thanks for trying the game, fellows, and double thanks for taking the time to give some feedback!

@seasons: Sorry the game didn't work; no idea why this might occur since it has run fine on a number of systems I've tested it on. What Windows version are you using? Might have some clue in the log file, but then again, probably not. One possibility is that if you've placed the EXE into a location where it doesn't have write access, such as in 'Program Files', it will be unable to save the log and settings files, but that should pop up an error window.

@eigenbom: Thanks for the positive feedback, though I agree that the movement and camera aren't perfect yet. Not entirely sure how to make those right though, but it is early days.

Yes, I can see how you might get lost on the main menu page! I think, since the main menu is a bit cluttered anyway, I should have an obvious play button and then go to a sub-page where you choose level/mutators/players. Alternatively, I could make the level numbers into a radio group and have a separate play button. I'll play around with the idea before the next release; unintuitive GUIs in indie games are a personal bugbear of mine :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:46:52 AM by Spooner » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

Another bug report, clicking the resolution button doesn't change the res (or even the text indicating the res), and makes my mouse act a bit weird (as if the window size is changed, even tho it isn't). However, if I click the res - or + buttn then go into fullscreen and come back out, the window size and res changes properly.

Yes, I can see how you might get lost on the main menu page! I think, since the main menu is a bit cluttered anyway, I should have an obvious play button and then go to a sub-page where you choose level/mutators/players. Alternatively, I could make the level numbers into a radio group and have a separate play button. I'll play around with the idea before the next release; unintuitive GUIs in indie games are a personal bugbear of mine :D

In hindsight it might have been because the player is selecting options (like which cat to use) in order to set-up the game, and so the level initially seems like just another option. I personally wouldn't add extra screens, but the player should be able to easily navigate thru the set-up before reaching a Play->[1] [2] [3] option. Good luck!

Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »

The +/- resolution buttons are indeed broken in v0.2.0. Not something I re-tested before release, since they had worked in v0.1.0 and I thought I hadn't changed them (famous last words). Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Yes, I have implemented the levels-as-radio-buttons and a separate play button option. I'll clean up/separate the screen if I have to add much more though, but I'll worry about it when the time comes. When I started out, I just had the level buttons, so there wasn't any other state to set, so I didn't really need a specific play button. Makes a lot more sense and lets me leave the level you last played on selected for next time.

Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »

v0.2.1

Changelog

* Changed full-screen mode to using a full-screen borderless window, since it is always run in desktop resolution (faster and cleaner switching).
  * Fixed non-standard keys (displaying as 'Key#NNN' rather than being named) not being able to be used as move keys. Thanks Mon-Ouie for report and help with fix!
  * Fixed the broken resolution +/- buttons. Thanks eigenbom for report!
  * Made level selection buttons into a radio group and added a separate [Play] button. Thanks eigenbom for suggestion.
  * Stopped the cat sprites sometimes having floating pixels near them in some resolutions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:17:21 AM by Spooner » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »

seems to be all good now Smiley love the screen splitting thing in 2 player mode.

b

Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »

v0.3.0 (2011-08-10)

Changelog

* Moved resolution/fullscreen controls into Settings page.
  * Added effects/music volume sliders in a separate Settings page.
  * Added particle system and other graphical improvements.
  * Fixed problem with gaining extra time, which also messing up animations (e.g. of green goo texture or laser movement).
  * Changed gravity to be more realistic.
  * Added intro which explains the origin of Zed.
  * Applied flea collars.
  * Added 4th level.

Not a huge change in this version, but felt I needed to release it to get some more feedback. I'm particularly interested in feedback on the intro cut-scene (I've never done one before and I'm worried it is not brilliant). I'm still of the feeling that the level design leaves a lot to be desired, but I'll revisit the levels properly when I've added more of the features I want to add.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:16:31 AM by Spooner » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »

hey spoon,

i think the story works. i've got some suggestions about the intro (take them or leave them as usual):

1. ship flys in from left
2. camera zooms into window and shows ginger frolicking
3. camera back to ship
4. meteor crashes (with sound effect)
5. gas ball flying around agitated
6. gas ball enters ship and cam follows
7. gas creates zed

Also the gas ball should be 'pixelated' to match the rest of the art style.

b

Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »

Yes, it might make more sense if the Zed-essence (purple gas ball thingie) was pixelated. As you have probably noticed, I leave lighting/shadows as non-pixelated since they aren't physical objects and I made the Zed-essence a "glow" so kept it non-pixelated (pixelation is a style, not a rule, for me). However, since it is sort of a primary object, it makes sense to pixelate it (and I would like to give it a groovy shader effect while I'm there). Well, that is my justification, in case you were interested :D

Regarding the meteor having a sound effect, I was in two minds about that. Obviously, space doesn't propagate noise, but I think that sequence really needs some more interest and an explosion sound to accompany the visuals would make sense there. Also thinking about some sort of woo-woo as Zed-essence flies around (probably pitched based on its speed)!

Same with the change in gravity in the actual game; the original gravity in the ship was effectively 2-3G, but using a more sensible gravity means that the cats barely jump off the ground, which doesn't feel as much fun Shocked (My limitation is that at full speed, they should only jump over 2 squares on the floor).

"camera zooms into window and shows ginger frolicking" - would be nice if I could literally manage that effect. Technically can, but syncing it might be a nightmare!

Mmm, maybe I read too much into your comments or maybe I was not 100% about the intro after all :D As usual, thanks for the thoughts...

Sketcz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »

this looks interesting, but I won't try it because of WASD

Crikey, that does seem a bit harsh! (I especially think so since my own game that I'm working on has WASD for P1 and arrows for P2)

Any particular reason for disliking WASD? It's the standard for any FPS unless you change it.
Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 07:14:47 AM »

In fairness, when originally released, this game only had a one-player mode and you could only play using WASD, which is not the de facto standard for single-player games (arrows is, I guess). I added key-configuration and a second player (that used arrows by default, as I'd planned) a few days later. I wouldn't worry about it for your game; it makes perfect sense in a 2-player game to default to those key settings.

Still, that original comment was perhaps one of the most unhelpful I've had so far :D

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 08:16:31 AM »

WASD is simply unplayable on a non-qwerty keyboard

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »

Ah, that makes perfect sense, now you have explained your comment. I was on entirely the wrong track, thinking it was just anti-FPS snobbery or something equally silly! In any case, it is moot now since I added a controls-editor, since I'm aware people don't like to have keys imposed for a variety of reasons; naively, I didn't immediately associate use of WASD with internationalisation issues.

Sorry for the confusion and I hope you've been able to play the game since I added the settings page!

Sketcz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »

WASD is simply unplayable on a non-qwerty keyboard

That's... actually a brilliant point. Apologies for the misunderstanding. By your username I take it you're on AZERTY? Living in France I've always found using them frustrating because I'm so used to QWERTY, so keep a UK keyboard handy (personally I think both systems are stupid, and would rather have an ABCDE keyboard!).

But I'd never considered this problem before. In that case I shall attempt to remedy the situation in my game. Thanks for pointing it out.

How does ESDF sound? Smiley
Spooner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

I don't think the default matters hugely, since it is likely to not be ideal for everyone, whatever you pick. Key-settings in-game (or, until you've implemented that, via a really easily edited text file) are pretty much required if you want to be taken seriously, I think.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic