Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:38:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDotA 2 Thread
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 168
Print
Author Topic: DotA 2 Thread  (Read 314556 times)
Uykered
« Reply #2560 on: January 24, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »

As soon as someone complains/swears at my team, I just mute + report them because from my experience they're usually going to do it for the rest of the game. It works well on the Australia server because there's smaller population and Dota remembers mutes.
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #2561 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:46 PM »

Game after game of Dota are ruined because none of the players on any particular team know who they aught to listen to

im guessing you think it's you
you have a 47 percent win rate why in god's name would you want your rank to be public
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2562 on: January 24, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »

muting them isn't always a great idea. it's better to just don't reply to them.

I've had games with extreme ragers but won once they've calmed down. one guy was so angry yet no one responded to him. he stopped being hostile and instead starting taking matters into his own hands to improve the game. he bought smoke and organized ganks and pushes, and eventually we won.

if we had muted him or responded to his trolling and tried to argue with him, we would have easily lost. after that game I don't mute ragers anymore, neither do I respond to them. though sometimes it's easy to tell when a person has no further interest in a game and won't even try, but in general it seems best to let them rage a bit and hope they calm down.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2563 on: January 24, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »

this raises the question of whether seeking to play public matches at a more competitive level (I infer that is is what the goal is so im sorry if im being tangential and irrelevant) is necessary or desired
it may be for you, but not necessarily for others

competitive play just isn't viable with people you don't know, and that's sort of the crux of things
trying to establish some kind of social hierarchy is just going to make pompous jerks even more hostile,
and that's counter-intuitive to your goal because that makes people less inclined to get along as they bicker about seniority

this isn't as much of a problem with system structure as it's a problem with people
the only solution (which is only partial if the goal is competitive play) is to be more thoughtful of others
and less of a greasy jerkface

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2564 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »

Game after game of Dota are ruined because none of the players on any particular team know who they aught to listen to

you have a 47 percent win rate why in god's name would you want your rank to be public

See this is the problem, you assume because I wan't a public rank that I intend to use it to boss around new players, I don't think my stats are good at all, I didn't ever claim they are,
You could actually consider what I'm saying rather than just assuming I'm out for an excuse to flame people, In my opinion public rank display just makes sense and would improve the overall game experience.

Also, i like the irony that you've just gone and mocked me for having low stats when that's what you say you're against Smiley

CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #2565 on: January 24, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »

See this is the problem, you assume because I wan't a public rank that I intend to use it to boss around new players, I don't think my stats are good at all, I didn't ever claim they are,
You could actually consider what I'm saying rather than just assuming I'm out for an excuse to flame people, In my opinion public rank display just makes sense and would improve the overall game experience.

Also, i like the irony that you've just gone and mocked me for having low stats when that's what you say you're against Smiley
you picked up on irony you must be some kind of f u k i n wizarrd

i considered what you said it's just that what you said was really stupid, maybe you should have considered what you said instead

ps low isnt really the right term, maybe 'unfathomable' 'so horrid it has circumvented the law of averages' 'catastrophic'
Dragonmaw
« Reply #2566 on: January 24, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »

keep it civil, children.
Uykered
« Reply #2567 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »

I'm in Gold/1400/74% with my DBR, what's everoyone elses.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:02:53 PM by alastair » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2568 on: January 24, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »

I'm 1571/Platinum 88% percentile
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »

1622 (Platinum) 90%
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: January 24, 2013, 10:06:37 PM »

1857 (Platinum)/97%.  Huh?

That seems a little too high. Didn't they just say that they can't accurately measure DBR with opt-in data?

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
ink.inc
« Reply #2571 on: January 24, 2013, 10:11:02 PM »

1523 at 84 percentile

no way these can be accurate
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: January 24, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »

Mine was 1033(silver) at 33% I've got a little less than 100 matches played with ~49.5% winratio.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2573 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »

1857 (Platinum)/97%.  Huh?

That seems a little too high. Didn't they just say that they can't accurately measure DBR with opt-in data?

on the blog they say valve hasn't actually implemented this option yet.

Their web API is currently down and we do not know if or how this setting will be included in it.

https://dotabuff.com/pages/2013-01-24-update

they could still pull the data from other ways, but as they say in the article that would probably be too much effort to be worth it.

they're adding an option to make the DBR rating public or private (currently it's private), so I don't see why Valve is putting their foot down so hard.

edit: and remember the DBR is a measure of performance, not skill. which is pretty obvious but not to everyone. this is why some random guy who only plays wisp is at the top and not a more talented professional dota2 player. https://dotabuff.com/players/86736893
Dragonmaw
« Reply #2574 on: January 25, 2013, 01:47:15 AM »

torn on DBR. on one hand, it's nice to see a concrete ranking in elo style. on the other, it means people are gonna be elitist about it, just like league. despite elo being more about games played rather than measurable skill, with it only being accurate with a really large sample base (1000+ games played)

Gold/1247/55%.

Pro tier skeleton king players with that vamp aura max brah
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:07:38 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: January 25, 2013, 03:52:15 AM »

It can be hard to tell if someone is sorry for doing something bad or if they're just sorry they got caught. Given the timing of their apology, both are possible.  Shrug

If they had added the feature to Dotabuff Plus which lets you view other people's ranks, I would have been super uncomfortable with it, because then they would basically make a profit on player harassment.

Also I have literally never seen Skeleton King in a pro game.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2576 on: January 25, 2013, 06:18:10 PM »

https://dotabuff.com/pages/2013-01-25-shutdown

that was fun while it lasted
ink.inc
« Reply #2577 on: January 25, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »

;(
Uykered
« Reply #2578 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »

Did they refund peoples money that paid for the pro thing? Or did they just rush that out to get some quick money because they knew Valve wouldn't let them keep it going for long.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2579 on: January 25, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »

on the post I linked it says they're honoring refunds. I don't think they expected Valve to block off the way they were getting data.

part valve's fault for not supporting the webAPI and dotabuff's fault for not having a backup in-case Valve 'fixed' the way they were originally getting data.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 168
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic