Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:50:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDotA 2 Thread
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 168
Print
Author Topic: DotA 2 Thread  (Read 312853 times)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 03, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »

He needs farm, but you can farm multiple areas at once with the illusions, he's good at getting kills early game, he can farm by pushing lanes better than jungling (especially with his invis ability for escape), and most carries should be involved in some fights, even earlier in the game. If one team has been doing four man teamfights all game, and losing them, and the other team has a carry who actually knows how to play and has high farm, on top of the won teamfights / destroyed towers, guess which team is gonna win? And if they've been doing four man teamfights and winning, well, you didn't really win the game cuz of the carry, did you? Tongue

You do have to be careful of the opposite thing happening, though. Sometimes you can be winning teamfights and forget about their carry, and then he comes in at 40 mins and wrecks everyone. You have to find the right balance, which is easier said than done. Comes down to map awareness and good communication.  Shrug

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2681 on: April 03, 2013, 01:44:40 AM »

he's good at getting kills early game

I think this is the hardest part of having a PL, is feeding him early kills - as opposed to other carries. He's so damn squishy, and he doesn't even hit his stride with his skills until late because they're all focused on synergy. But thanks for the comment, Bobo, I'll try and kick the next PL I have jungling out into lane, which was p much my question.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 03, 2013, 02:06:26 AM »

If you throw a soul ring on him (+ tranqs, perhaps) or if you lane him with KotL, he can spam his q all day long. It's not super difficult to outlane your opponents with PL.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2683 on: April 13, 2013, 05:51:35 AM »

What is it about dota that makes us want to play it so much?
When I consider having played lots of a game I think of how I've played 100+hours of battlefield 3 or call of duty, but with dota it's on a whole norther level

according to steam I've played over 800 hours of dota and still I can't quite put my finger on what compels me!

The only other game I've played so obsessively was my first MMO experience, and after time I learnt what MMO's are, the techniques they use to compel players to just keep on playing. So one day I just quit that MMO and I've never been held captive by one again.

Dota on the other hand does not use the same obvious tricks as most MMO's, and yet there is something in it more powerfully compelling than any other game I've played,
But
WHAT
IS
IT!?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 13, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »

What is it about dota that makes us want to play it so much?
Depth.

How often have you looked at a decision someone made in a game (be it an item choice, skill build, lane setup, or other plan) and been 100% sure that this was the best decision the player could make in that situation? It's nearly impossible to say, because Dota is incredibly deep. During a game there are so many meaningful choices and interactions between game elements that you never completely understand what you should be doing, even if you have played it for thousands of hours.

Variety.

The amount of content in Dota is enormous and it keeps increasing every patch. In Starcraft, maybe you have marines and zerglings and zealots, but they're always going to be the same.  When you play with or against a new hero in Dota, it changes everything. What can they do? How do you deal with them? A constantly changing environment encourages you to keep playing and discover new things.

I can list a ton of other stuff I love about Dota but those are the 2 main advantages it has for me, when compared to other multiplayer games. It is deep in that it always lets me make interesting decisions while playing, and it has enough variety that no two games are going to feel the same.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
farmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: April 13, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »

Dota on the other hand does not use the same obvious tricks as most MMO's, and yet there is something in it more powerfully compelling than any other game I've played,
But
WHAT
IS
IT!?

It's the random reward schedule of winning and losing. And a random reward schedule is the most addicting, like a slot machine.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2686 on: April 13, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »

But
WHAT
IS
IT!?

It's the random reward schedule of winning and losing. And a random reward schedule is the most addicting, like a slot machine.

Now that I've had a night to think about it, I think what it ultimately comes down to, is that dota is somewhere between random and not. If it was always random like you say, people would figure out that they have no control and would find it boring. But that's not the case, instead it's very close to being random but there is enough depth, choices and potential for player influence things that people feel they are contributing to the outcome (like Nillo said), even when it's never predictable

The way a game can almost always be completely turned around is another thing that does it, players will keep on playing hard and not give up because they know it only takes a couple of errors from the other side to have the upper hand again, the game's state is always in the balance, and therefore constantly interesting

There's probably more to it than just that, but I'm starting to feel comfortable with that answer

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: April 15, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »

Supporting for me is like watching the carry grow. They start out weak and naive and needing your protection from the big bad nightstalkers of the world. 40 minutes later they're all grown up and forging their destinies, and it's so cute.
I imagine KotL sitting back on a rocking chair with a pipe while PL 1v5's the enemy team in the background thinking, "Seems like it was just yesterday when he needed chakra for his lances".

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 16, 2013, 03:51:22 AM »

I just started playing last week, I'd love to play with some of you guys some time.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2689 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »

Suddenly I am also playing the Dotes Two too and would like to feed with you guys also! :3

olücæbelel
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #2690 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »

I just started playing last week, I'd love to play with some of you guys some time.

Suddenly I am also playing the Dotes Two too and would like to feed with you guys also! :3

do you guys have skype
ink.inc
« Reply #2691 on: April 16, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »

skype is important if you want to hang with the "proz" as the kids like to call them these days ie me
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #2692 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »

actually you guys didnt even post steam ids

pretty exclusive shit
ink.inc
« Reply #2693 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

pretty exclusive shit

isn't it in the first post?
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #2694 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »

not for those two

get your act together john
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »

im9 is only interested in getting his hands on your masks of many sights

don't let him near those sights, no one man needs that many sights

Dragonmaw
« Reply #2696 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »

will im9 play with me or no it is a mystery i need solved
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2697 on: April 16, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »

pretty exclusive shit

There is this steam TIGS group...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ink.inc
« Reply #2698 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »

There is this steam TIGS group...

which i still havent been accepted into COUGH COUGH :I
Bandages
« Reply #2699 on: April 16, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »

Just add the people who you have fun in solo queue with
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 168
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic