Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:44:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDotA 2 Thread
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 168
Print
Author Topic: DotA 2 Thread  (Read 314546 times)
bitserum
« Reply #3260 on: November 30, 2014, 02:42:34 AM »

So the opposing team was equally as bad, right?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3261 on: November 30, 2014, 03:07:29 AM »

If your MMR is at the same level as people who play occasionally on long weekends, then something's wrong with the picture.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3262 on: November 30, 2014, 03:20:38 AM »

So the opposing team was equally as bad, right?

Impossible to say. When someone or a group of players set out to deliberately troll a game, how is the skill comparison of the opposing team relevant?
Had another game, captain's draft. Captain drafts KotL and Io with a bunch of utility supports, they summon everyone to the safe lane t2 mountains.
And my MMR continues to sink.

If your MMR is at the same level as people who play occasionally on long weekends, then something's wrong with the picture.

That's what I said.
Anyway, it's early Sunday morning now and my matches are back to normal.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3263 on: November 30, 2014, 06:43:37 AM »

That's a super interesting link, Jackwhat, it explains a lot.

Edit: I keep reading this thread, waiting for other RL things. Currently baking pizza. I'm 15 pages in. On page 15, Cetarius makes an interesting comment that's supported by a smorgasbord of previous ones - and suggests the most important role is the playmaker, which he then goes on to suggest it's mid (not true, playmakers can occur from any position / role).

That seems to resonate a lot. Whenever I'm making big plays, game is won. When I'm making shit plays, even with natural playmakers like Axe, game is lost.
 Recently had a really interesting game with me on Pudge. I fed like hell - the enemy team focused me sometimes to the exclusion of the carries - and didn't get much farm or stacks of Flesh Heap... But I was making plays. Every teamfight victory was my initiation (and death). I really didn't feel good about that game when I played it, but as I look back on it... I was making plays, even if they were suicidal, and when the enemy team was 4 dead to our team's one Pudge death, that's pretty damn successful.
I compare that to another recent game with Omniknight, where I played the position of hard safe lane support, and again, made amazing plays, and same thing. My KDA in the Omniknight game was better than my Pudge game, but, same thing. Playmaker.

Still not a resolution for trolling weekend casuals, but that's besides the point.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:37:28 AM by starsrift » Logged

As is coding.

starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3264 on: December 15, 2014, 01:32:55 AM »

So after reading Jackwhat's link, I went to make a second account, and instead of playing support as I normally do, I selected carry or ganker (high-impact) heroes.

My dotabuff on this account: here

Aside from some abortive attempts to follow Valve's "all hero challenge" (I really suck at Earth Spirit, especially if my team gets a bunch of abandons!), I win most of my games, and have been winning most of games. Even when I'm 2v5 and lose because of abandons, I get a ridiculous KDA, like this game.

More to the point, I seem to be matched with other players at my player "level" (which is currently 6, probably 7 next game). I'm playing with a lot of noobs; I'm actually surprised at how many folks I run into that are new to DotA! I have played 49 games so far, so while it's not the 100 game dota MMR "calibration" that Jackwhat's link references, it seems like there's definitely some issues there in terms of MMR and matching.

Anyway, it's not until level 13 when this account gets access to ranked games, and there's no battle boosters, so I'll post again... someday.

As is coding.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: December 30, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »

My team made a ridiculous comeback in a game today: http://imgur.com/a/3CUQY#0

I was playing with a 4-stack and the Lion was our fifth random guy. I'm not entirely sure what happened here but it must have been some kind of divine intervention because you're just not supposed to win a game like this.

(inb4 someone criticizes my venomancer build)

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: December 30, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »

Idk. You had two strong carries who did well, all your deaths were on supports who dont really need levels, and fed axe is just... axe....

Early game kills dont really matter *that* much if the enemy team isn't farming well and pushing their advantage. I'd like to see the gold/xp graphs and gpm at the end.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: December 30, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »

Dotabuff link: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1128750677
XP graph: http://imgur.com/zO5za3e,NxnmCk2#0
Net worth graph: http://imgur.com/zO5za3e,NxnmCk2#1

25 minutes into the game we were at a disadvantage of over 20000 exp and gold. Five minutes later everything was going fine. Strange stuff.

PowRTocH
« Reply #3268 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »

thanks icefrog
starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3269 on: December 31, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »

The various changes to gold and (primarily) XP gain are amazing with these latest patches, it's amazing. I've seen some epic comebacks.

But more to the point, I've had more strategic, subtle games where I've managed to starve my lane opposition of XP and/or last hit gold, and nonetheless, 10 minutes later, they're up in fighting trim. It's maddening. It's like denying creeps doesn't even matter anymore.

As is coding.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: January 01, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »

How does this work?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: January 16, 2015, 06:24:19 AM »

Side note, I just love that Dota lets you do things like this. I could never get used to jungling in LoL because it was so simple, there was no stacking or pulling on any of the camps. Dota just lets you break the game in various ways and that's hilarious to me. (But I haven't played League in 2 years so maybe jungling is more fun now? idk)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:31:39 AM by Nillo » Logged

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: January 17, 2015, 04:52:35 PM »

Side note, I just love that Dota lets you do things like this. I could never get used to jungling in LoL because it was so simple, there was no stacking or pulling on any of the camps. Dota just lets you break the game in various ways and that's hilarious to me. (But I haven't played League in 2 years so maybe jungling is more fun now? idk)
You can abuse soft-reset leashing to jungle almost any ranged champ while taking minimal damage.

But they nerfed it or are nerfing it from like 10 soft resets to 5. GRRRRRR.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: January 27, 2015, 12:25:04 AM »

https://gfycat.com/DisgustingDeliciousHornbill

PowRTocH
« Reply #3274 on: January 27, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: February 10, 2015, 03:02:49 AM »

http://www.dota2.com/newbloom/part1

Winter Wyvern spotted.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3276 on: February 10, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »

i havent played dota in months. is it still awful?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: February 10, 2015, 05:47:01 AM »

i havent played dota in months. is it still awful?
Worst 1652 hours of my life. 0/10

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3278 on: February 10, 2015, 05:48:04 AM »

it was the worst 1300 hours of mine

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »

every time i look at my hour count i think "i couldve learned to play the guitar or draw or something instead and i'd probably be pretty decent but instead all i got out of that time is the ability to click kinda fast  Sad"

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 168
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic