Please jump to page 6 for the games. Voting will last until midnight, September 22.
Okay, sorry for starting a compo without prior consultation of anyone, but I think we all want one going
. There is a grave dearth of compo games being produced, so let's change that! If you really hate the idea of basically reusing a concept, well, think of it as a warm-up compo for the official one later.
Fun fact - this is the anniversary of the original B-games compo! It's fitting
. I'm bumping it forward two days so we can start at a more convenient time. (Otherwise we'd be just about a day finished with the compo already.)
SO BAD IT'S GOOD
(AKA: B-Games v. 2)
how about August 15 - September 15
Just like cinema has its B-movies and cult cinema, video games has its B-games. They've got Ed Wood and Roger Corman, and we've got Jazzuo and MDickie. You've seen 'em, you've played 'em... we're talking about games that are bad in the right way.
By popular demand, TIGSource is sponsoring a competition to celebrate the creation of B-games! We want to see some bad games with some great personalities! Broken gameplay that works; low budget graphics that titillate the primitive and perverted parts of our brains; outrageous themes beyond the ken of normal human beings. We want to see bad games with that certain "je ne sais quois." Terrible, hilarious, sincere games that have the kind of moxie that can only come from the independent game community.
Do you have what it takes to make the baddest, baddest
game there is?Rules:
- No team size restrictions!
- No color or resolution or other format restrictions! (Although keep in mind that if your game is completely unplayable it will probably make judging difficult.)
- Game must be made specifically for the competition and work on the game must begin on or after August 14th!
- Feel free to bring in any of your own art, music, or code snippets (premade game engines are fine), so long as the actual game itself is put together during the competition period.
- Competition begins August 13th, 12am PST and ends September 13th, 12am PST. Submit your game to me via email or PM before September 14th. [I'm changing these times to two days ahead because we missed the exact beginning. If we want we can wait another day or whatever.]
- Competition results will be based on a single round of judging by the collective forum community by poll. The polling will commence about a week after the competition ends and will go on for around a week. (This could change during the compo, depending on the number of entries and other factors.)
- General discussion about the compo should go in this thread. If you'd like to start a separate thread for your game, just go for it! Other threads related to the competition or competition theme may be started here as well.
- Swaying the judges and voting population through made up stories about your game, sweet posters, and other teasers is highly encouraged.
- Using your own interpretation of what is a B-game is also highly encouraged.
- Have fun!
GO GO GO! Reward is the knowledge that you have had victory
over lesser folk. A physical reward will not exist unless someone wants to send the winner something.