Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:00:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsThe So Bad, It's Good Compo - VOTING
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: The So Bad, It's Good Compo - VOTING  (Read 22203 times)
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »

Please jump to page 6 for the games. Voting will last until midnight, September 22.

Okay, sorry for starting a compo without prior consultation of anyone, but I think we all want one going. There is a grave dearth of compo games being produced, so let's change that! If you really hate the idea of basically reusing a concept, well, think of it as a warm-up compo for the official one later.

Fun fact - this is the anniversary of the original B-games compo! It's fitting. I'm bumping it forward two days so we can start at a more convenient time. (Otherwise we'd be just about a day finished with the compo already.)

SO BAD IT'S GOOD
(AKA: B-Games v. 2)
how about August 15 - September 15

Quote from: The original B-game thread
Description:

Just like cinema has its B-movies and cult cinema, video games has its B-games.  They've got Ed Wood and Roger Corman, and we've got Jazzuo and MDickie.  You've seen 'em, you've played 'em... we're talking about games that are bad in the right way.

By popular demand, TIGSource is sponsoring a competition to celebrate the creation of B-games!  We want to see some bad games with some great personalities!  Broken gameplay that works; low budget graphics that titillate the primitive and perverted parts of our brains; outrageous themes beyond the ken of normal human beings.  We want to see bad games with that certain "je ne sais quois."  Terrible, hilarious, sincere games that have the kind of moxie that can only come from the independent game community.

Do you have what it takes to make the baddest, baddest game there is?

Rules:

- No team size restrictions!

- No color or resolution or other format restrictions!  (Although keep in mind that if your game is completely unplayable it will probably make judging difficult.)

- Game must be made specifically for the competition and work on the game must begin on or after August 14th!

- Feel free to bring in any of your own art, music, or code snippets (premade game engines are fine), so long as the actual game itself is put together during the competition period.

- Competition begins August 13th, 12am PST and ends September 13th, 12am PST.  Submit your game to me via email or PM before September 14th. [I'm changing these times to two days ahead because we missed the exact beginning. If we want we can wait another day or whatever.]

- Competition results will be based on a single round of judging by the collective forum community by poll.  The polling will commence about a week after the competition ends and will go on for around a week. (This could change during the compo, depending on the number of entries and other factors.)

- General discussion about the compo should go in this thread.  If you'd like to start a separate thread for your game, just go for it!  Other threads related to the competition or competition theme may be started here as well.

- Swaying the judges and voting population through made up stories about your game, sweet posters, and other teasers is highly encouraged.

- Using your own interpretation of what is a B-game is also highly encouraged.

- Have fun! Smiley

GO GO GO! Reward is the knowledge that you have had victory over lesser folk. A physical reward will not exist unless someone wants to send the winner something.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:35:16 PM by Painting » Logged
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »

You know what? It's not a proper compo until you make a flashy banner for it  Tongue
Now i wanna make a bad movie license game that would fit in the 8-bit era. Now, what movie would be suitable...?

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »

Methinks I'll be in, with the full B feeling intended. Strings and shoddy chroma key included.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »

i'm considering it. if i do it i plan on being as awful with it as possible. Gentleman
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:19:44 AM »

Sweet! I'll wait over the next Ludum Dare, but I think I'll try to make something.

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:46:09 AM »

It's nice to have a break from MEGALONIA...

Okay I have my title prepared: "Undercover Brother: the Game" I'll probably do code and graphics myself but I'll need a funky musician, and maybe a sprite artist if someone really volunteers.

Word of warning: EVERYONE is going to HATE how jumping works. And some cool tricks and bugs can be expected. Probably speedrunning mode will exist.

Solid! Bro Fist Right Wink

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:34 AM »

I'MM BACKING THIS UP 110% Noir

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »

Quote from: The original B-game thread
 Submit your game to me via email or PM before September 14th.
lol this doesn't apply anymore

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »

I won't be entering these, since they're over a year old, but here's some inspiration for everyone. Also, it fits the banner image.
http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?29382-SWEET-BRO-AND-HELLA-JEFF-THE-GAME-6
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »

I pretty much have to try to do this.  Hopefully I'll have the time.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »

"Extra high jumps? Pish posh. I can totally see the-Wait. The characters have strings on their backs?"

~ Your reaction
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »

i'm considering it. if i do it i plan on being as awful with it as possible. Gentleman

Keep in mind that the point isn't "worst game". Anyone can make an awful, shitty, unpleasant game. The point is to make a game that is awful, shitty, and still somehow pleasant.

A note to all contestants: If you're just going to make an effortless, annoying mess of a game, don't even bother. Nobody wants that. Your game should have that spark of transcendental badness, a bad so legendary and heartfelt that you are fascinated by it; a badness so all-consuming that the enigmatic creator of the bad is made to become a sort of mystery themselves, a human riddle - "does this person really think like this? how, how could this turn out this way? and how on earth can I go back to the life I had before, now that I've played this game?".
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 06:07:38 AM »

I'ma definitely making-a an entry for this Gentleman

colewasnothere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »

I want to do this! I'll make 'Snakes on a Plane: The Game'. Unfortunately, my team and I are too busy with my real project, so I don't have time to get Game Maker and make a crappy game. Anyone want to do art or program for me? I'm thinking of a super cheesy, terrible, retro side-scrolling beat em' up! Like Double Dragon, but on a plane! WITH SNAKES!

If you do that, make sure to include all of Samuel L jack-sons funny quotes, and then make them sounds absolutely terrible!
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »

I'm in. Dunno what it's about yet, but probably involves vampires and physics. Or something. I'll just code and make it up as I go - worked well for the last time I made a B-game for a competition (although alas, not a B-game for the B-game competition).
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »

One problem with this competition is that nowadays B-Games are almost anywhere, unlike in 2008.
for example if you go to XBLIG or any flash potral it's almost 100% B quality.
For the first compo, B-games were much more niche than they are today.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »

One problem with this competition is that nowadays B-Games are almost anywhere, unlike in 2008.
for example if you go to XBLIG or any flash potral it's almost 100% B quality.
For the first compo, B-games were much more niche than they are today.

Instead of copying the B-Games of today, copy the B-Games of yesteryear!

Also, I'll sticky this soon, if this rate of entry continues! Glad to see a competition live!
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

This just sounds like anything I make. I wanna participate.

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 11:30:28 AM »

I very much support this contest and theme.
Also it's nice for people who missed the original to get a shot this time round.
Currently thinking up some ideas...

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »

I might whip something up for this

edit: thinking i might do a 1-button game where you play as one of these