Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:38:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSubterrane [formerly Mining Game]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Subterrane [formerly Mining Game]  (Read 66532 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »

A friend keeps trying to get me to name the game Jet Miner.
Code:
Cetus Amicus: y u no think of "JET MINER"?! :C
*argument about whether or not jetpacks are a main mechanic of the game*
Code:
Cetus Amicus: Cliff
Cetus Amicus: Cliff Cliff Cliff Cliff Cliff Cliff Cliff Cliff Cliff
Scopriproon: Mm?
Scopriproon is now Online.
Cetus Amicus: Have you played Ashkin's game?
Scopriproon: Huh
Cetus Amicus: Cetus Amicus: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3802044/ProceduralGeneration.swf
Cetus Amicus: Play it now.
Cetus Amicus: Just for a few minutes.
Scopriproon: P. cool
Cetus Amicus: What would you name this game
Scopriproon: Dunno, I'm not good at namen stuff
Cetus Amicus: How about JET MINER
Scopriproon: AWESOME
Ashkin
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »

I can triple post because IT IS MY DEVLOG
   LOG 5TH SEPTEMBER 2011 DAY 16
This is the most annoying and crippling bug and I hate it. I don't even know what's causing it- the level generation or something keeps throwing a Invalid Bitmapdata error at seemingly random times. I've tried so many things to fix it and nothing's working. I don't want this project to die, maybe I should just abandon this size map and stick with 400*400 tile maximum.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 01:05:04 AM »

BUT YOU CAN'T QUADRUPLE POST!

Jet Miner feels too cliché.
Ashkin
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 02:01:26 AM »

Jet Miner feels too cliché.
YES
THANK YOU
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »

I can triple post because IT IS MY DEVLOG
   LOG 5TH SEPTEMBER 2011 DAY 16
This is the most annoying and crippling bug and I hate it. I don't even know what's causing it- the level generation or something keeps throwing a Invalid Bitmapdata error at seemingly random times. I've tried so many things to fix it and nothing's working. I don't want this project to die, maybe I should just abandon this size map and stick with 400*400 tile maximum.

Is there any feature/graphic that's in your project that you haven't (correctly?) seen implemented yet? It's probably a simple transopsition in your code somewhere. :S

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

nice, gfx are consistent and sweet Smiley

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »

This is the most annoying and crippling bug and I hate it. I don't even know what's causing it- the level generation or something keeps throwing a Invalid Bitmapdata error at seemingly random times.

You get an invalid bitmapdata error whenever you try to create a bitmapdata with width or height 0. This error is in fact one of the most annoying errors you can get since iirc you get an empty stacktrace with it.

Also if you're still looking for optimization for lights you might want to draw them in a bitmapdata and then draw only a portion of that bitmapdata on the screen based on camera position.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:31:30 PM by zamp » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »

You get an invalid bitmapdata error whenever you try to create a bitmapdata with width or height 0. This error is in fact one of the most annoying errors you can get since iirc you get an empty stacktrace with it.
Is there any feature/graphic that's in your project that you haven't (correctly?) seen implemented yet? It's probably a simple transopsition in your code somewhere. :S
The error seems to be coming from the light- it's just a simple 200*200 bitmap, like so:

It's usually scaled to fit an object, which makes it either the normal size of 200*200 or half the size (100*100). Even with the scaling turned off, it throws the same error.
But the interesting thing about the error is the frequency with which it occurs- it only pops up when I generate a large map, and then only about seventy-five per cent of the time. I think this could mean one of two things: Either one of the light objects that are instantiated with the mushrooms is faulty, or once the group of lights passes a certain threshold it just throws that error for some reason.
Speaking of errors, I've just started getting a brand new one: Error #1000, Run out of memory. I don't understand why that would happen, as the bitmapdata the tilemap creates itself from is only 800*800, far below the max limit. It also only happens sometimes, which I figure can only mean that it's something to do with the number of altered pixels. A map output for a large 800*800 map typically looks something like this, with red representing caves and white representing rock:

(I can't help but admire these caves. They're so much more beautiful when they're your creation.)
Also if you're still looking for optimization for lights you might want to draw them in a bitmapdata and then draw only a portion of that bitmapdata on the screen based on camera position.
Hahaha
I have no idea how to do that
Maybe I should look into it, it could mean a slight speed boost.
nice, gfx are consistent and sweet Smiley
Thanks Grin

Thanks for all the comments and help guys!

EDIT: I forgot to mention what may be the most peculiar part. The game handles anything up to 200, but any image over 200*200 pixels just makes it throw in an invalid bitmapdata.
THIS IS THE WEIRDEST THING.

EDIT: I'm beginning to suspect more and more that this is the fault of Flixel rather than me.
Look at this, for example:
Code:
makeGraphic(200,200,0xffffffff)//Throws an error
Code:
makeGraphic(200,200)//Default of third parameter is 0xffffffff, but it doesn't throw an error here
I have no idea what is happening.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:19:25 PM by Ashkin » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »

Hey
Hey guys
Guess what
I FIXED IT Big Laff
It turns out that for some reason the pure number of lights existing was throwing the error. I have no idea how that works, so I ditched it completely. Now, there is only one light object, and it draws itself onto every member of an array of objects which are added to the array when they appear on screen and removed when they're out of range. So I got rid of the error and greatly improved performance! This is the part of bugfixing that makes me incredibly happy.
Here is a demo just so you can play around with the larger caves:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3802044/ProceduralGeneration.swf
It would be great if you could time how long it takes to generate the caves and how much lag you experience. Also, I removed the press x to dig and replaced it with hold x to dig so you guys could just enjoy exploring. Some of the caves may seem small, but trust me, there are big ones.
Happy exploring!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 02:04:22 AM »

Took a little over a minute for my mine to build (WinXP SP3, 1.6 GHz + 1 GB RAM, 4 GB Pagefile over 54 Mbps wireless/cable internet). Only got probably about 25-30% down too, likely because chests are still empty and I ran out of power. Actual gameplay performance was totally unhindered. Holding X to dig is a really nice touch, btw.

Ashkin
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »

LOG 5TH SEPTEMBER 2011 DAY 17
Today, after fixing the crippling bug, I was able to get back to development. I finished up treasure chest code, meaning that the chests now either give you ammo, bombs, gold, energy or a curse. Sound effects, too!
As for curses, they're basically little hinderances that disappear after a brief time. Here's a list of the ones currently implemented:
sapper- Drains energy at a fast rate.
goldthief- Subtracts gold from total score over time.
grounded- Jetpack becomes useless.
sticky- Cannot move while on the ground.
pickbreak- Cannot dig.
stone- Very heavy.
ammodrop- Lose one ammo.
bombdrop- One of your bombs is set off and falls on the ground near you.
Took a little over a minute for my mine to build (WinXP SP3, 1.6 GHz + 1 GB RAM, 4 GB Pagefile over 54 Mbps wireless/cable internet). Only got probably about 25-30% down too, likely because chests are still empty and I ran out of power. Actual gameplay performance was totally unhindered. Holding X to dig is a really nice touch, btw.
A little over a minute? Hm, even I get a little less than that. It varies a lot, I guess- a friend can have them built in ten seconds, I have them built in a minute.
As for the X to dig, I've said before that I'm probably going to stick to tap X to dig to make it feel clunky and undesirable, because you won't be mining out swaths of land.
Thanks for the feedback, bacon!
Albert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39:37 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right
I want it in double size!
ink.inc
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »

Hello.
Ashkin
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right
I want it in double size!
Well sure, if you're the kind of guy who enjoys having his computer blown up.
Hello.
Hi.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »

Well, I'm also using a fairly barebones-for-then, 4 year old netbook, too. I'll have to try the power-up inclusive version to see if that changes playtime, because that's about the only balance tweak I can see being a thing so far - why generate an entire 800-tile-deep cave if you barely have time to squeak directly through 250 tiles of it?

Having the powerups, especially the bombs and extra batteries, will likely change that a bit, however. If it's at the scale I'm guestimating, you may be able to get away with generating something closer to 500 x 500 tiles (essentially producing ~1/3 of your current level's area), for a fitting gameplay experience that loads in 20 seconds or so. Especially considering the curse offsets.

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 02:16:01 PM »

You might want to generate the caves as the player digs them rather than generating a huge area which of the player can only occupy 1% of at a time.
You'll probably need to create some form of chunking of the map.
Maybe make a big grid that contains smaller grids and as the player digs deeper you could just keep the current occupied grid and 8 neighbours in memory.
One grid unit could be lets say 64x64 tiles.

Whenever the player digs near enough to a new (undiscovered) grid it'll be generated. Most of the time it'll just be ground. Sometimes a small cave or air bubbles in that. Sometimes you'll generate a bigger cavern that spans more than one grid. Or sometimes something special, maybe a big fat monster that shoots lasers and devours the ground nearby to feed the ever building need for energy for the laser. Whatever you can think of Wink

With flash you could even save the map easily by just punching the map data into a bytearray (if it's not already) and compressing it and storing it in the sharedobject. You might need a helper class for this that stores the x and y position of the grid and the mapdata itself.
If you need to google this, try serialization as3 class for the search.

Jolly good work so far though Gentleman
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »

Salutations!

I really like this game so far. Absolutely oozing with character. And yeah, I had a large amount of time given for building it too.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 03:12:22 PM »

Good day!

The chests don't give a good indication of what they had when you open them.
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 06:01:21 PM »

This is pretty neat and frenetic, but my eyes hurt because the game's screenspace was the size  of my fist and on a white background. Is there any way we could play this on double or triple size? Or that it could be put on a proper webpage?

It's basic so far but you have a few basic goals and a lose condition, which is mroe then a  lot of early-build games can say. I wish there was more to do/find, maybe objects to find/study or/and enemies to fight. Looking forward to see where you're going with this game!

Ashkin
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

Awesome, I love you guys <3
You might want to generate the caves as the player digs them rather than generating a huge area which of the player can only occupy 1% of at a time.
You'll probably need to create some form of chunking of the map.
Maybe make a big grid that contains smaller grids and as the player digs deeper you could just keep the current occupied grid and 8 neighbours in memory.
One grid unit could be lets say 64x64 tiles.

Whenever the player digs near enough to a new (undiscovered) grid it'll be generated. Most of the time it'll just be ground. Sometimes a small cave or air bubbles in that. Sometimes you'll generate a bigger cavern that spans more than one grid. Or sometimes something special, maybe a big fat monster that shoots lasers and devours the ground nearby to feed the ever building need for energy for the laser. Whatever you can think of Wink

With flash you could even save the map easily by just punching the map data into a bytearray (if it's not already) and compressing it and storing it in the sharedobject. You might need a helper class for this that stores the x and y position of the grid and the mapdata itself.
If you need to google this, try serialization as3 class for the search.

Jolly good work so far though Gentleman
That sounds complicated. I'm not sure that infinite maps would be necessary, but they sure would be neat! But that sounds like one of the things I might do post-release, right now I'm just working on a bare-bones playable release. Updates after that will have a lot more cool stuff, like infinite maps.
Well, I'm also using a fairly barebones-for-then, 4 year old netbook, too. I'll have to try the power-up inclusive version to see if that changes playtime, because that's about the only balance tweak I can see being a thing so far - why generate an entire 800-tile-deep cave if you barely have time to squeak directly through 250 tiles of it?

Having the powerups, especially the bombs and extra batteries, will likely change that a bit, however. If it's at the scale I'm guestimating, you may be able to get away with generating something closer to 500 x 500 tiles (essentially producing ~1/3 of your current level's area), for a fitting gameplay experience that loads in 20 seconds or so. Especially considering the curse offsets.
In the end I'll be making it possible to choose map size. It will probably be something like 200*200 (generates in seconds), 400*400 (a little longer), and 800*800 (huge, but takes about a minute). I'm working on improving the method for generating it, as I'm sure there's a way to make it more efficient.
As for the proportion of energy to size, I've implemented a new algorithm that makes the caves much bigger and more linked, more gigantic cave systems that can go all the way from the top of the map to the bottom without digging. It's pretty great, I like it. Also, of course, there will be methods to get energy. As well as the chests, I'm thinking of adding an ore that is rarer than gold and gives you energy when you mine it.

Salutations!

I really like this game so far. Absolutely oozing with character. And yeah, I had a large amount of time given for building it too.
Ahahaha I have no idea why it's oozing with character
I just made graphics that I hoped wouldn't cause people to gouge their eyes out, I'm no artist Concerned
But thanks!Yeah, they aren't done yet. By the time they're done they'll have a little sprite pop out of them to show what you have, as well as a different sound for each treasure.
This is pretty neat and frenetic, but my eyes hurt because the game's screenspace was the size  of my fist and on a white background. Is there any way we could play this on double or triple size? Or that it could be put on a proper webpage?

It's basic so far but you have a few basic goals and a lose condition, which is mroe then a  lot of early-build games can say. I wish there was more to do/find, maybe objects to find/study or/and enemies to fight. Looking forward to see where you're going with this game!
Sorry about the background, I'm just using dropbox and I don't think I have very much control over that. I could make it twice the size, or host it on swfcabin which has a background that's easier on the eyes. I don't really have a 'proper' webpage to put it on.
I'll probably add in more to do in a later version. Aside from the gold, chests, mushrooms, etc, I'll probably have fossils you need to mine out precisely, ruins that contain treasure aplenty, and maybe a few aesthetic creatures. I'm trying to avoid adding enemies though- the only threat will be your constantly draining power supply.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

P.S. Here's a peek at the new caves:

Instead of

Much more cavelike if I do say so myself Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic