Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:03:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines for Indie Developers
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines for Indie Developers  (Read 372806 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »

Great, what we need now is a collision engine that does not do physics for 3D

comma
Level 0

Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »

Box2D?

It\'s me Magnus!
SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:16 AM »

I don't know if anyone mentioned it before, but this is a good site for chosing: http://makegames.pixelprospector.com/ though it lacks in some areas, it still quite good

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »

Box2D?
He probably meant that the engine only checks for and corrects collisions but doesn't do any kind of physics.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 27, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »

Box2D?
He probably meant that the engine only checks for and corrects collisions but doesn't do any kind of physics.

He probably also meant 3D

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: June 27, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »

I'm sure most 3D physics engines will let you use the collision and raycasting parts without the dynamics part.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 27, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »

Well collision resolution (up to sliding with a flags) should not ask for extra code (ray and various cast) and should have physics easily disable while providing an easy collision listening structure. Typically primitive should be cast between frame position and automatically handle unless told otherwise (ie ignore collision flags this frame).

I'm making games not simulation, so far blitz3D get it totally right, unity's physx totally wrong (most of the work is either to neutralize the physics, which is costly, or create your collision resolution but the tool have poor collision structure with only one it per collider). I haven't test any other yet (bullet and havok are the one I know from rep alone).

Monday
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »

This should be added to the list as it is a very capable indie engine where you can develop for iOS and Android for free. Not to mention it is backed by Havok and includes c++ access.

http://www.projectanarchy.com/

Project Anarchy is a complete end to end game engine and state-of-the-art toolset for mobile. Project Anarchy also comprises a vibrant game development community centred right here at www.projectanarchy.com. Project Anarchy includes an entirely free license to ship your game on iOS, Android and Tizen platforms.
Technically, what is Project Anarchy?
Under the hood Project Anarchy is a fully integrated suite of Havok’s award winning software:

Havok Vision Engine is a powerful and versatile multi-platform game engine capable of rendering a diverse range of game scenes at smooth frame rates. The engine provides a clean C++ API and a suite of tools ranging from a WYSIWYG editor to lighting and audio tools.
    Havok Physics is the fastest and most robust collision detection and physical simulation technology available. Havok Physics has become the gold standard within the games industry and has been used by leading game developers in over 400 launched titles.
    Havok Animation Studio is a state-of-the-art animation system built for high quality game character development. Havok Animation Studio includes the Havok Animation Tool for artists and designers, and an optimized animation runtime. Havok Animation Tool allows developers to quickly prototype character features and author character performances in a WYSIWYG environment.
    Havok AI is a fully featured pathfinding solution. Havok AI takes care of high-speed navigation mesh generation and provides out of the box components like local character steering. Together pathfinding and steering provide a full palette of solutions for character motions in a wide range of scenes.

In addition to the core suite of Havok’s products, Project Anarchy ships with a growing list of integrated third party game technology such as Fmod for the creation and playback of audio.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »

Really cool sounding engine, especially seeing so many different games made with it. However, there's no Blender importer (just Maya / 3DS Max), which won't help adoption by smaller indies / indie teams in my opinion. Also, it seems to be mostly Windows-centric, which is unfortunate considering that it seems to output to a lot of mobile platforms as well as OS X and Linux (right?).

EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:34 AM »

Unity just got updated to 4.2, adds some shadowing support to the free version  (one-directional light only; hard shadows only) and NavMesh baking, for what it's worth.

More importantly (for me, at least), it makes text-based serialization of assets free, rather than a pro feature.  Nice for source control.
ToddSpengo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »

I'm looking for an engine to make a 2D sim type game in the vein of the Kairosoft games (Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village, etc.) Any engine work better for this type of game than others? I'm language agnostic so anything goes but prefer open source to closed, free to fee, etc. Of course, I'm up for anything if the fit is right. Thanks in advance.
comma
Level 0

Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »

I'm looking for an engine to make a 2D sim type game in the vein of the Kairosoft games (Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village, etc.) Any engine work better for this type of game than others? I'm language agnostic so anything goes but prefer open source to closed, free to fee, etc. Of course, I'm up for anything if the fit is right. Thanks in advance.

It's for mobiles, right?

Codeless i dunno, but you should try LibGDX

It\'s me Magnus!
ToddSpengo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »

Mobiles and maybe desktops too. I'll give that a look.
dbest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »

I would like to second libgdx.
Been playing around the last two weeks, and shall be using it for my 2nd Android game.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »

I don't really know where to ask about this, but since RPG Maker is technically a game engine, I figure I could ask here. I mean, To The Moon made it, pretentious as it may be.

The thing is, there are like three or four different versions of RPG Maker, and each of them has its own "Trial" version. The website also does nothing to explain the differences between the versions, or the limitations of the trial. Could anyone in the know give the difference rundown that the website doesn't, and/or suggest the best version, or a better program, for making an Ib-style adventure game?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

Trial = 30 days

Old version 2Kx = lower resolution + terrain control within code(replace tiles and other terrain's tools). 2000 has dq style combat, 2003 has ff style atb and side view + random map generation at runtime.

New version xp/vx = better resolution, bigger asset sheet, event script (like in 2000) + ruby script ("low level" access to the engine to rewrite feature), no terrain control in code, no separate event code for battle and tileset. Vx has runtime level generation.

More:
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/comparison

Personally I prefer 2003 has it is the most complete and most limitation can be dodge with clever trick.

ClockworkWolf
Level 0

Tick Tock, Clockwork Wolf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2013, 08:13:58 AM »

Mikademus, will the OP be updated? I can't say for the rest of the packages, but Unity now has iOS/Android basic exports for the free version... plus blackberry, windows support.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »

I was looking for this thread. SDL2 has come out, and PySDL2 (a Python wrapper for SDL2) is out, as well.

trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »

I don't know if it was already mentioned here, but Urho3d looks really promising
http://code.google.com/p/urho3d/
You need to use SVN checkout as build download quite outdated.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »

Mikademus, will the OP be updated? I can't say for the rest of the packages, but Unity now has iOS/Android basic exports for the free version... plus blackberry, windows support.
mikademus hasnt posted here in a long time so i wouldnt bet on the OP being updated at all.

maybe it'd be a good idea to lock this and have someone active make a new thread?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic