Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:08:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDyson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Dyson  (Read 25257 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:35:23 AM »

Visit the official site for Dyson

Download Dyson

Hello everyone, we just updated Dyson to version 1.08.

For a list of changes, please visit the official site where we've listed the changes in the release notes.

We've added defensive trees and a limit on sending, done a graphical overhaul on the trees, and a bunch of other stuff was changed or tweaked or added too.

We also made a Linux version so we could do with some folk testing that if possible! Link is on the download page.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:27:43 AM by haowan » Logged

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »

Woohoo  Cool
Will you be adding some interface to sort and control the machines by asteroid of origin?
Will you fix the infinite digging bug?

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »

The interface is still completely in the air. We don't know quite what we'll be doing with it, but we do both agree that it currently isn't ideal.

The infinite digging bug will disappear. One way or another Smiley

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »

First things first, I really liked the game. Great work!

Fullscreen works fine on my 4:3 display (Didn't notice any aspect differences between that and the widescreen display).

Also, what kind of changes are you evaluating? I guess I could read the PGC thread, but it seems like a good idea to sum it up here. Myself, I would like to see some more differences between asteroids (size of the visual representation, amount of trees you can plant, max number of agents they can hold etc) ... It would also be nice to have shortcut keys for sending, say, one-half or one-quarter of the agents, but maybe these things have been said already.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:05:49 AM »

Thanks Saint!

size of the visual representation, amount of trees you can plant, max number of agents they can hold etc

Yes, these are exactly the things we want to implement.

We also want to exaggerate the attribute factors to enhance and encourage tactical play, find some way above that to play defensively possibly, improve the interface in various ways including shortcut keys and graphical representation, and include some low-level interaction so that at least during the first phases of the game it's a requirement to play zoomed-in.

We'll also be putting up a game-specific web site at some point.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:49:46 AM »

Thanks Saint!

size of the visual representation, amount of trees you can plant, max number of agents they can hold etc

Yes, these are exactly the things we want to implement.

We also want to exaggerate the attribute factors to enhance and encourage tactical play, find some way above that to play defensively possibly, improve the interface in various ways including shortcut keys and graphical representation, and include some low-level interaction so that at least during the first phases of the game it's a requirement to play zoomed-in.

We'll also be putting up a game-specific web site at some point.

Don't worry about doubling comments, we don't expect people to plow throught all the pages that have come before. I have started collating every bit of feedback we were given (and are very greatful for) and from that and the original design we will create a coherent plan of action. Hmm it may be a good plan like you suggestged to put up a list of all that people have suggested with the obvious disclaimer that we won't implement all suggestions (as some will clash with other ideas that we have). At least that will give people an overview of what has been said already.

In regards to sending out intermediate numbers of seedlings; I have some good ideas on how to do so and that shouldn't be a problem to fix :-D

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »

Ah, I see.

Another thing that came to mind is something that's a problem in most RTS games; once you overpower your enemy he doesn't really stand a chance but you still have to go about the tedious business of clearing out all of his hideouts before you beat the level. Varying win conditions, AI that surrenders, systems for kicking loosing teams back into the game or secondary objectives that can provide a challenge even when you are winning the main battle could be employed to counter this, I guess, but on the other hand some players (myself included) thoroughly enjoy overpowering a weak enemy's last defenses so maybe it's not a problem at all.

Something to think about, at least.
agentd00nut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »

Ok first off i wanna say i saw this game on Jay is Games and I'm VERY impressed.  At first i thought it was going to be a bit bland, but i wasted a good 2 or 3 hours playing it and modding it as much as i could through the settings.xml file.  While i was playing i had just thought of some different things that i think would make the game better / more enjoyable.

First off is different kinds of gameplay.  I'm sure you are already working on this but i feel like i should point it out.  Some of the modding i did was to simply make the game 2X, 3X larger with twice as many CPU's.  IMO it made the game MUCH more enjoyable.  The default amount of enemies and asteroids makes the game too easy, once you get a few asteroids with 2 or 3 trees on them you win, it's just a matter of time.  So heres some game modes i think would be cool.  Also i was thinking for some of these you could have a menu where you could mix and match.  So you could play on a Massive level but with only 1 AI, or 20, change how many units you start with, the price of trees, etc. etc.

1. Small, Medium, Large, Extra large, Massive.  These would primarily change 3 things.  The first is the most obvious, how many asteroids there are in the map, the second would the amount of CPU's playing, and the third would be how many starting units you get.  Possibly for the Massive *when i say massive i mean like 500 asteroid games* you would also start with more than one asteroid... which leads to the next game mode.

2. Scattershot, This would work better as an option for other games but this is what it is.  Each army starts on 4 different asteroids randomly placed around the map.  It would work better for Large and up games but would work the same on each.  Nothing fancy, nothing crazy, but i feel like it would make the game much harder.  And instead of 20 units on each asteroid you only get 5 on each.  It would force players to be very careful about what they do with their units at first, and i think it would make for much more intense game play fighting on 4 and up fronts at once, conceivably much more, opposed to usually 2 or 3.

3.CTF.  Good old capture the flag.  The way this would work is that each player's starting asteroid would have some sort of seed or something *sticking with the whole tree thing* displayed on it.  The goal of the game is to go and take over that asteroid, then fly your army back to your home asteroid.  If you steal another teams seed they have say 3 minutes *change for balance obviously* to steal it back or they instantly die.  You can decide if when you eliminate the other player if all their asteroids become yours, rogue, or simply die.  *This would only work with a game play addition i will mention a little later*

4. Assault.  This would simply be that if you lose your starting, or all your starting *if using scattershot option* asteroids, you lose instantly.  You could also set up special maps for this where its a symmetrical set up for the asteroids and there is only a set number of players *2,3,4 etc.* for each map.  The same thing with whether the enemy's stuff becomes rogue or yours or just dies would have to be decided.  *again would work better with a game play addition i will mention*

5. Teams.  This is more of an option that would be turned on and off but its obvious, you would be on teams with another cpu.  All the members of a team would be different *significantly different* shades of the same color, so it's obvious they are teamed but you can easily tell them apart.  You can see what your allies see, you can help defend one of their asteroids, but you can't take them.  You can move units there etc. but they won't try and take it over, unless of course an enemy takes it and then you fight them off.  If 2 allies units are attacking the actual asteroid, the last unit that hits the core would take over the asteroid.

6. Discovery.  This would be sort of a fog of war kind of thing.  You can only actively  see asteroids that are 1 jump away from one your units are currently on.  It only takes one unit to see nearby asteroids but if you don't have a unit there it works like fog of war, you can see it but nothing ON it *much like now*.  The main difference is that this mode would randomly select the size of the map and hide the white sun... thing, in the middle of the map.  This way you wouldn't be able to tell WHERE you are in the belt, how deep it is, how many asteroids there are etc.  An enemy could slink right by your defenses and attack from behind or something.  This could be improved on with the introduction of different buildings.  Like a radar that lets you see 3 jumps from the asteroid its on etc. etc.

So like i said some of these would be standalone game types, others would be turned on and off *discovery / scattershot* but they are just some ideas to make them more interesting.  And it would be cool to get a single player game with a story line.  WHY am i commanding a bunch of... fly bug things to take over asteroids.  The single player game could incorporate all these game types.
~~~

Ok so now here are some gameplay ides that i had.  The first one is the one i kept mentioning above.

1. Being able to attack units that are flying.  There is nothing that i hate more than when 150 units go flying by 400 of mine bouncing off the asteroids, wrapping around them, and not being able to do anything about it except follow them until they FINALLY *it usually takes them like 30-40 seconds* decide to attack.  You should be able to tell units to attack ones that are flying by.  Just like drag and  instead of ending on an asteroid end on the group of units and yours would just fly off and follow them attacking.  The enemy units, depending on if they were set to aggressive or passive would either stop flying and then there would be a big swarm of units fighting in the space between asteroids.  Or  they would simply ignore the threat going to the asteroid they were told to fly to, and then carry out the standard way of fighting once there.  *This would obviously be another gameplay element of setting units to aggressive or passive, and would only effect how they fight in mid flight.  If two armies are flying through the air and pass near each other, and they are both aggressive.  They will both immediately attack.  If one is  passive and one is aggressive, the aggressive one will attack and follow the passive one.  If they are both passive, they will simply shoot passing glances as they fly by each other, but will not pursue.

2. Grouping asteroids.  This would work just like selecting multiple units in other games work, except you would do it like it is now, with whole asteroids.  You could either hold ctrl, click on the asteroids you wanna move units from, then using any of the selected ones left click, drag, and let go and all the units from those asteroids would move to where you told them too.  Then with holding shift you could free draw a box around the asteroids you want *dragging a box wouldn't work so hot since the asteroids are all scrambled* and then it would work the same.  If you have selected asteroids you could hold ctrl, and hit 1-0 and assign them to groups.  Then just hit say 1, and right click some where, and all the units from there would move there.

3. Rally Points.  This would allow you to set your units to go to a different asteroid as soon as they were spawned.  you would just hold alt, click, drag, let go, and boom.  Any new units go to the new destination.  This would be grand because a lot of the time spent in the game is simply dragging units from far away asteroids up to closer ones on the front line, it would save time and let you focus more on the attacking.

4. New structures.  Structures would be built just like they are now, with sacrificing units.  I really enjoy that part of the game, especially in the beginning when 10 units is a pretty hefty chunk of your army.  You need to decide if it's worth the gamble or would it be better to take over 1 or 2 more asteroids...  But anyways.  You could have radar systems, defense towers, structures that would boost nearby units *within a certain number of jumps*, and wall structures.  They would all take up a "tree" slot of an asteroid.  They would all also "grow" like the trees.  Each one would simply be a different kind of tree *maybe like defense ones would be evergreens, etc.*  The radar would really only be useful for the discovery game play.  The defense towers would launch little drones at any enemy units passing by or attacking the asteroid *possibly attacking enemies assaulting an asteroid one jump away as well....*  The wall one would be sort of complicated but very awesome in my opinion.  In order for it to work, 2 asteroids within 1 jump would need to have the tree growing on it.  When you select the wall to grow you would have to select a nearby asteroid.  The tree would then grow half way to that asteroid.  If you do it between 2 asteroids on both it would block that path.  If two walls are ALMOST touching it wouldn't totally block it but only a few units could get through at a time, thinning out the line and causing choke point.  The trees could be killed just like all the others so it wouldn't be a YOU CAN NEVER GET THROUGH AGAIN, sort of deal.  However it would either force the units AROUND to a more deadly route *defense towers all around* or hold them up buying you precious seconds... For all the structures the longer they have been around the more powerful they are.  So a defense tower at first may only launch one drone, eventually launching 20 or something.  The drones would but very fast with mid damage, and very low health.  So with 2 or 3 large defense trees they could rip through an army by sheer number, but a couple wouldn't do too much damage.  Radar would let you see farther the bigger it got *+1 jump, +2, +3 jumps away*.  And walls, once touching, would also get thicker up to a point over time.

5.  A way to destroy asteroids.  This would either be done through a VERY hard tree to grow. *It could work like the walls do where you need to link 5 or 6 asteroids together for it to work* or it could be done through overwhelming force or special units.  There could be asteroids that glow gold or something once they are discovered.  One in every 10 units from this asteroid will be golden, and this unit can inflict special damage to an asteroid, if 5 these units hit an asteroid it is completely destroyed, including any units fighting above it.  You could up the anty and say if it was part of a super weapon complex or maybe a wall complex, those asteroids would either also be destroyed, or all the trees would be blown off... You could do a lot with this, make it very hard to do but very devastating.  Maybe just any asteroid one jump away loses all its trees and units and its energy is dropped by 50.

6.  A way to change the units produced from an asteroid.  This would be another tree that you grow, and would effect the stats of the asteroid.  Obviously you could grow trees to effect the yellow, red, or blue of the asteroid.  Growing all 3 would be pointless but say you want an asteroid to make faster and hard hitting units you could grow a blue and red tree.  This would lower the HP of the units but increase damage and speed.  The longer the tree grows the more it affects it.  To keep units from becoming over powered you could say only one tree of each type can be grown on an asteroid.  It, of course, would take up a tree slot.

7.  A minimap.  This would just be handy so you could see what was going on far away, maybe radar could effect it in some way?

8.  A bigger alert when under attack.  Like a flashing light on the corner of the screen or something, i find that if you aren't zoomed all the way out to see what is going on everywhere you can get easily surprised.  You could use radar to help with this, where maybe you only get the alert if the asteroid is in range of radar, otherwise you get the standard red ring around it but no real message.  *More handy in large / massive games*

9.  A speed scroller.  Something to adjust the speed of the game, i don't really want it but it's just an idea.

~graphics~

I really enjoy the color of the units and everything tagged with them *asteroid background, the mine shaft things etc.*  I just wish that asteroids maybe looked a little different.  An asteroid with more energy may be bigger than one with less.  Maybe you could put like craters or some kind of texture on them just to give them a more... asteroidy feel opposed to grey blobs.

I think bigger and louder battles would be cool, just larger lasers, a bigger event when an asteroid is taken.  Maybe units with more health would make a bigger bang when killed, and units with more attack would have a cooler looking weapon and units with more speed would blur or leave some sort of small trail behind them.

Just more Eye candy in general, You guys have a great game with mediocre graphics, which i prefer over a really fancy looking crappy game.  But if you could just up the visuals a bit it would be FANTASTIC.

I thought it would be cool if units actually grew off of the trees that produce them.  Instead of just popping into existence the units would act as the "leaves" of the tree, and when ready would pop off and fly away, to be replaced with another bud that grows into another unit.

A better way to see the difference between units when zoomed out.  I noticed that faster units had longer wings, and units with more health / damage had bigger bodies, but thats really hard to tell when zoomed way out.  Especially on my modded mega map.

~~~~

Well i hope you appreciate some of my ideas and I'd love to see them implemented in a future version or something.  If not at least it was fun coming up with ideas.  If you have any questions on how something would work or whatever I'd be happy to answer.  You guys have a great game here, with a little polish i think you could wrap it up and sell it if you wanted to for 5-10-15$ a pop, i know I'd pay for it once it was totally done.

~~~~

I have one quick question.  In the settings.xml file, what is the point of the min="0" max="6" or whatever, lines.  From what i can tell they don't make a difference whatever they are.  And only things that have 2 separate lines with min and max like this
Code:
    <int name="EnemyFactionsMin" value="6" min="0" max="6" />
    <int name="EnemyFactionsMax" value="12" min="0" max="12" />
actually vary.  This was just puzzling me...

~~~~
Edit:

Oh i forgot to say, the game is REALLY quiet for me.  I'm not sure if its just my system, but i need to turn my sound WAY up to hear anything.  The sound is pretty good except for one thing... what is that scratchy highpitched tone that you get when you zoom in close to the the action?  Whatever it is it gives me a headache and i can't stand it, IMO it's gotta go / get replaced... all the other sound is nice, the looping song could be better, or get looped between 2 or 3 different tracks to mix it up *preferably a lot more*
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:53:03 PM by agentd00nut » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 05:09:53 PM »

I recommend not adding too many features (such as the ones in the post above) for fear of catering to "gamers" rather than normal players. E.g. it's a very nice casual game right now, adding a million and a half features may make it have more depth but it might come at the expense of its simplicity and charm, which was what drew me into the game in the first place, and may make it feel just like another complex RTS game rather than what it is now.

agentd00nut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »

Well you could always release two versions, or just make them ALL options or whatever.

Me personally i hate when a game like this comes along and then doesn't live up to the potential that it could be, i love deep games with a lot of strategy and different ways to win, different modes of play etc.  It really depends what kind of audience they are shooting for.  If they want a real simple game geared toward casual gamers then they pretty much got it, but if they want a game geared more towards RTS gamers, or just more serious gamers in general then they need more depth.

I personally would love to see this game blossom into something truly amazing opposed to just a good casual game, and like i said you can always have 2 versions or just the option to turn off all the new additions to appeal to both groups of players.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:46:04 AM »

Wow an enormous amount of feedback from all of you. Let me try to address some of it at least :-)

First and foremost, we are happy with anybody caring enough about our little game to take the time to write down comments. It is really nice to have feedback and a relartionship with actual players (as supposed to producers and marketing departments )and we take on board all comments. So many thanks once again.

Saint
The game suffers badly from predictability at the moment due to the fact that you are basically creating an enormous tankrush. This is a known issue and will go away once we add a number of features that were planned anyway like defensive units and more specialised seedlings will help a lot as well as the changes that we have planned to how territory will work.

Agent
Ohhh too much to comment on right now, but all your comments HAVE been read and we always try to consider what we can.

Some general comments.
Game modes: We may well introduce specific game modes at one pint, I ahve some ideas myself ;-) but first and foremost the core game needs to be fixed. We are jsut two people so we have to prioritise. Having said that we can get away with some cheap one we may well do that.

Gameplay comments
We are putting in gameplay features that will make it impossible to just start traiping around the galaxy. This whole part of the game was always su[[osed to be MUCH more strategic and exploration play needs to become more tense and rewarding. We have plans in place for this.

As already mentioned , we will diversify existing units and add other new entities :-)

Cues will get better, both visual and audio. Infact, the audio mix needs to redone properly for the gameplay sake but also for atmosphere. Brian has done great stuff but we have hidden it a bit.

More eye candy will be added, and seedlings may well grow from trees, it was originally planned that way.

The music and sound choices (not the mix) is open to taste arguments, nobody has complained yet about the zoomed in noise. It actually has a source that is quite cool, may tell you another time. ;-) Nobody else seems to mind it..

Rinku (and Agent)
The plan is to keep the game simple, easy and intuitive to grasp, and reach strategic depth with simple and interesting variables as opposed to a multitude of confusing options. This is core to our philosphy for the game, and what sets it apart. We can however add much moddable diversity in ways that are not intrusive or even accessible to payers unless they put the effort in. To a degree that is already the case with the moddable xml file. :-) So hopefully we can reach a balance where neither type of gameplay treads on the other.

I am convinced that part of the success so far comes from it simplicity and I want to make sure the integrity of the game is not sacrificed in that regard. :-)

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 07:30:15 AM »

omg Circle rip-off!  Evil

...joking :D i just had the time to give it a go!

congrats guys Smiley awesome work haowan, i love that abstract style!!!  Gentleman

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
shudmeyer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »

Any idea why Vista would be giving me a DEP error and crashing during initialization? And then not allowing me to change DEP settings on the exe? Sorry I can't provide more information about the crash than that, but that's really all that's happening. Program start, crash.
agentd00nut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »

Hey, I'm glad to see that all my ideas were read.  I'm glad to hear that the exploration system will actually be more of a challenge.  I'm really looking forward to what you guys do with it.

I think I'm most looking forward to new units, right now i sorta feel like it doesn't really matter what the stats of the units are, just how many you have.  So this would be nice to give the game more balance and intrigue.

I just wanna say that the AI could be more aggressive *I'm sure you're working on the AI but i feel like i should say it*.  Right now it seems to be based on an aggro system or something... I was playing a game where 2 computers were dominating, and they would only attack me if i took over about 3 or 4 of their asteroids, then they'd take all but one, and then fly off.  It'd be neat to see the AI take advantage over weaker players when they can to try and knock them out of the game quickly.

I'm glad to hear that more visuals will come into play.  Including better heads up displays and stuff... An idea i had while playing last night, it would be cool if each asteroid had a number in it when you were zoomed out to the point that you can't see the mining lines, and the number was just how many of YOUR units are on an asteroid, or something like that.  It might get too sloppy though but just a thought.

Also I have sort of a glitch where when im playing with more asteroids and cpus on the larger maps, when i zoom out usually 80% of the asteroids become white instead of grey.  I'm not sure why and i mean it IS a modded game and i never had that problem playing normally but just thought I'd mention it.

About the sound, that was just my personal opinion, its not as bad if i turn down the volume or play some music while i play, so no worries on that.

I like the direction you stated you were going.  Making it simple and easy to pick up opens up the game for a lot of people, makes it one of those games you can play in school or in a 15 minute lunch break or something =p, just nice and casual.  And then i really like the idea of allowing it to be modded up, letting gamers who want just a bit more to make it for themselves.  Whatever you decide to do it will be a great game no matter what, i can't wait for the finished product.

I also wanna mention i really enjoy actually getting to talk to the developers and voice my opinion and know that at least my ideas are being heard and that you guys are listening to what the community has to say.  Keep up the good work!!!

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

Any idea why Vista would be giving me a DEP error and crashing during initialization? And then not allowing me to change DEP settings on the exe? Sorry I can't provide more information about the crash than that, but that's really all that's happening. Program start, crash.

Sorry shudmeyer, I'd never heard of DEP until just now when I googled it. I'll have a look at the details in the morning; I'm hitting the sack now.

Hey, I'm glad to see that all my ideas were read.  I'm glad to hear that the exploration system will actually be more of a challenge.  I'm really looking forward to what you guys do with it.

Thanks agentd00nut Smiley

We'll be putting in nice standard things like sound effects / music volume, save/load game etc. So things like irritating sounds will hopefully be at least a bit configurable.

Your planet glitch is probably the batcher running out of space in the vertex arrays for triangles and forcing a flush to the screen early, before the stencil buffer's set up. So the stencil phase misses those asteroids out. Something like that.

I also wanna mention i really enjoy actually getting to talk to the developers and voice my opinion and know that at least my ideas are being heard and that you guys are listening to what the community has to say.  Keep up the good work!!!

Yeah it's stuff like this that makes us want to give our day jobs the finger and do this for a living. If we can.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »

I'm happy you guys recognize the danger of overcomplicating it & are proceeding cautiously, good to hear.

As for making a living on it and selling this particular one, sure, it could work if you gave it some work. The main things that would need to be improved are game length (multiple areas), interface, and graphics/sound/polish. But that's the easy (albeit time-consuming) part of making a game, you've already done the hard part.

As for making a living doing this, I don't see why not. Of course it depends on what degree of living you are comfortable with, it's fairly easy to make *some* money, but difficult to make a livable amount. As an example ID makes around $250 a month if I just sit and do nothing at all and don't advertise or anything. Not enough to live on (unless you're in a third-world country), but I can see that if I had multiple games selling at once it might eventually add up.

agentd00nut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 08:14:27 PM »

"our planet glitch is probably the batcher running out of space in the vertex arrays for triangles and forcing a flush to the screen early, before the stencil buffer's set up. So the stencil phase misses those asteroids out. Something like that."

Im gonna take that as "theres too much shit on the screen" XD.  <--- doesn't make video games.  Although i would like to one day, guess thats what college is for.

but yea i agree with rink, you guys could make a little bit of money off this once it's done.  Def. not enough to live off of, not even close, but maybe a couple bills or something, still nice.

Out of curiosity when could we expect the next version?  Just a rough guesstimate cause I'm pretty excited to see what you guys do with it.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »

We'll be releasing new versions regularly over the next four months.

The moneymaking comment was just off-hand really and doesn't necessarily apply to Dyson. There's tons of things we could be doing but just to be one's own boss on a commercial game project where you have total control is the goal.

Sorry shudmeyer, I'd never heard of DEP until just now when I googled it. I'll have a look at the details in the morning; I'm hitting the sack now.

I have no idea why this is happening to be honest. The solutions around the web don't sound too convincing either - it sounds like MS really screwed this DEP stuff up. I'll keep looking, but I don't recommend turning it off or anything, seems to realy screw the system up and stop other things working etc.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »

Solution to all your Vista problems:

Go back to XP. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
agentd00nut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 05:43:23 AM »

Hey i didn't mean any offense or anything sorry about that.

But i can't wait for the next version, I'm gonna keep playing around with what i can.  Right now I'm trying to balance sort of a "speed" game, where trees grow faster, and units move and kill quicker.  The really big games can take up to an hour to play and i just thought it'd be neat to get a speed game working.

One question i did have though, does the CPU computer get any bonus to how many units they create?  because it seems like no matter what i do, they always just have a MASSIVE amount of units before me.  Like I'll have maybe 100 total, and then they'll send 2 armies at me like 70-80 units large.  This happens more in the larger games but i can't seem to figure it out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic