Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:44:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHellas - greek vase game v25
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Author Topic: Hellas - greek vase game v25  (Read 105170 times)
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2013, 02:48:18 AM »

This is shaping up amazingly well!

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »

Thanks!

Should hopefully have some more significant new things soon. Smiley

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2013, 08:12:04 AM »

Some quick mockups for possible title and menu ideas:

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »

Liking the first one especially.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: August 19, 2013, 03:23:14 AM »

Yeah, the other one is a bit more rough. Just trying out colours and composition.

So the visual metaphor for the front end would be this museum somewhere between the Louvre, the British, and the Altes (Berlin)... and basically you select a vase to start a story, so for The Labours, there would be twelve and as you unlock them the entire set appears.

I might have the picture on the vase animate as you select it. I had another idea where there would be an animated dramatic shadow behind the vases on selection, but that would need different lighting and I kind of like how this contrasts the look of the game itself, and how it emphasizes that this is a game specifically about Greek mythology and not just a game that happens to use a Greek setting.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

Good to see this is still going Smiley I love the idea of the boars and lion.

valmont
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 25, 2013, 06:59:30 AM »

I just discovered this on Steam Greenlight.  What a great game concept.  The art style is fantastic  I think this has the potential to be one of the best side-scrollers ever.   I think there should be some non-combat zones where you can interact with other characters -- Hylas, Hermes or other gods who give advice, power-ups etc.  I hope as the game progresses the focus will be on theme, story and character, and not simply to  make things more and more impossibly difficult as in most side-scrollers.  This shows incredible promise!  Great work!
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »

Thanks! The plan is definitely to have some variation in the pacing with exploration and occasional safe areas where you meet friendly NPCs. You'll certainly also meet some gods along the way. Wink

I'm trying to find a good balance between sticking to the stories and still leaving room for the player to experiment. So far I've been building the core mechanics, but for the game proper the focus is very much on depicting specific myths and characters.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:30:39 PM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2013, 02:56:04 AM »

work-in-progress lion video:

toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2013, 04:33:03 AM »

Just played your prototype build and I had fun! Art direction is gorgeous - what a cool idea! The platforming felt good, and I dug all the platform-y noises (running, jumping etc.). Good stuff, man, and I look forward to watching this project  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2013, 05:25:59 AM »

Lion looks awesome.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
collider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »

Wow, love everything about this - great job. Lion movement is looking fantastic.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2013, 03:20:52 AM »

Thanks! Glad you like it. Grin

@MattFitz: Spent a lot of time on the navigation sounds since it's something you're going to be hearing constantly. It's good to hear they work ok (and the platforming obviously). Still a lot of other sound missing though. :/

With the lion I've tried to figure out a good way to do quadrupeds which I can re-use on other larger characters, one that still works within the style, with simple strong poses.

Looking at reference, even though technically the hind legs are the driving force, visually speaking the front leads. Movement mostly starts with the front doing something, then the back following... the front starts first and the back stops last. Solution:

Rather than create a complicated set of transitions for different states the front and back may be in relative to each other at any given time (and making my head explode) I separated the body into two parts and made it so the back (with some exceptions) is always a few frames behind the front. This break up the movement and gives the lion more of a sense of weight.

It doesn't work in all cases and I'm still tuning the poses and transitions, and the AI, but the overall approach seems to work well enough.

I'm considering also separating the tail as this would help improve the flow and follow-through and make it feel more dynamic, plus this will let me add random tail fidgets when the lion is standing still without changing the rest of the pose.

toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »

Ok, this was a really interesting post since I've been struggling, animation wise, with a similar creature type (larger, predatory cat enemy types). Really cool read - I like your idea of segmenting the sprite.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2013, 05:08:24 AM »

The background texture you have is so nice. Keep up the good work this is rad.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2013, 05:52:52 AM »

@Matt:

If you're looking for inspiration on interactive quadrupeds you should also have a look at JLJac's Project Rain World. He's doing a similar thing with breaking creatures into overlapping parts, only a lot more advanced and with a heavier focus on the procedural, less on custom poses.

In general though I would recommend studying life as much as possible. Aside from BBC Motion Gallery, I really like Getty Images, Corbis Motion and Framepool for animal reference. Also Muybridge is great.

@Rabbit: Thanks Smiley

toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: September 13, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »

@Ninja: Wow, thanks for the amazing list of resources! I definitely scoured the internet and picked up whatever sequential images I could for cats/lions etc. to get some basic running/pouncing animations down, but this is great. Also, A+ for referring me to Eadweard Muybridge Smiley
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »

So here's a long overdue update on what's going on with this project:

Hellas has been effectively on hold for about six months now. My excuse is I have been mostly working on finishing this, and animating for this, and this. For most of the last two years or so I've been alternating between my own projects and freelance animation work. Sometimes this has meant very little progress here.

So, good and bad news: Since January I've been doing full-time animation work, which once again means less time for vases... but, on the plus-side my employer has no problem with me continuing my projects on my own time (which is worryingly rare by the way) so what free time I have will be put to good use. And this does mean I'll have more budget for things like going to festivals, buying necessary materials etc, or maybe a research trip.

Now that I've wrapped up a few of those other projects I can get back to Hellas with renewed focus. Here's some stuff I'm working on now:

A first attempt at translating that rough menu mockup I did earlier to an actual thing, all of the current test levels in one place. Eventually this will be more like: STORY, VERSUS, OPTIONS and CREDITS or something like that, with separate galleries breaking individual stories into parts.

More soon.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: April 13, 2014, 11:02:46 AM »

Art stuff in progress:

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: May 10, 2014, 12:48:05 AM »

Since last I showed footage of the game it seems animated GIFs have become the agreed upon method of showing games in action. Far be it from to resist this new development:

I'm working on the player being able to lift and throw heavy objects like stones without divine intervention, with some temporary thumbnail sprites. The skull and bones thing is a debug visualization for the damage an object emits, colour-coded for who owns the damage (in this case player 1). This is to encourage emergent situations - anything that emits damage will damage anything that can receive damage - but I can also disable friendly fire where necessary or have certain enemies damage other enemies, but not others of the same type... like a boar will charge past other boars but it will crush a skeleton, a rock thrown by the gods does neutral damage, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic