Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:52:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHellas - greek vase game v25
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Hellas - greek vase game v25  (Read 105406 times)
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »

Working on infinitely scrolling levels at the moment, so it's really like you're going all the way around the vase... I've got the looping itself sorted with the camera panning along nicely and I'm working on improving the placement of objects around the player at the switch (ie. if you move an object and loop around, it should still be in the same place). I'll do new video later.

I still need to recreate the edge shading effect, since it was just part of the background before, which I guess means reading up on blend modes first.

After this I think I'll try and refine the attacks and maybe prepare some stuff for adding a second player. Also trying to figure out why passable platforms behave like ceilings when you try to jump past them from below (but not when the player is already half intersecting the object). Specifically I had to remove the platform for now on the second pillar from the left so you could jump up there.

I'm wondering, by the way: should I write in more detail about the things I'm adding as I go and keep doing the videos or should there be less talk, more progress?

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 05:42:04 PM »

I think the silent majority likes the talk and the videos. Well, at least there's me enjoying it  Tongue
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 06:33:43 PM »

Pretty progress makes us happy. But it's probably the proper time to complete some design goals so it's not total feature creep.

The rotation vase thing could be pretty cool, reminds me of the awesome Goht battle in Majora's Mask.

~watching closely forever

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »

Have to agree with agersant, I like all the talk. Nice to know all the steps you're taking and how you're approaching everything.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »

I let out a little "Ha ha!" on the last bit of the newish gameplay video when you picked up the block Grin. Visuals look excellent.

Concerning the jump thru platforms-

If you're using place_meeting(x,y,obj_jumpthru) that will return true if you are intersecting with it. Try having the collision happen only when:

(EDIT)vspd>=0(falling or stopped)

place_meeting(x,y+1,obj_jumpthru)(above it)

!place_meeting(x,y,obj_jumpthru)(not inside of it).

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:59:39 AM by Seasons » Logged

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »

Man, the game not only looks great, but it also feels great to play it! Good job!

You mentioned multiplayer, will it be online?  Lips Sealed Because, I never knew if that's possible in Game Maker.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Shocked Hand Thumbs Up Right

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 03:18:50 AM »

OK, more talk and videos then. Smiley

@unsilentwill: Myeah my prototyping method tends to be a bit "Ooh, what if I add this?". For this game though I was thinking about it for quite some time before I sat down and started building anything so I do have some goals in mind:

Goals 1 & 2: Prototype satisfying movement and test the viability of the vase art direction. Goal #1 I think is coming along and I'm pretty much satisfied that the visual style is going to work. So: goal #2.

Next: combat (against enemy AI and 2-player versus)

More broadly my goal is to test if hero vs hero combat can work, or if co-op vs monsters is more fun. If both work, both stay.

Once I expand upon the god-powers I aim to test different configurations of god + hero co-op, hero vs god, hero + hero vs god, etcetera... and possibly more story-based stuff like Odysseus + Athena vs Poseidon.

I'll probably refrain from discarding any ideas until I have the powers fully working because this may change a lot of things.

@Seasons: I'm doing something roughly like that (it works on the short pillar in the gallery level and the movable blocks), but I think there's something else interfering with it.

@saint11: Thanks! You've got a pretty sweet looking game yourself!

Online multiplayer is possible in GM as far as I know, but for now I'm only aiming for local same screen... It would be interesting though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:41:26 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »

More video:

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:40 AM »

Now they are two:

Download: http://www.ninjadodo.net/temp/hellas/hellas_v05.zip

I've finished up version 5 with the scrolling level I showed earlier. I've improved object placement a bit (remembered more accurately when looping) and managed to fix the passable platforms bug so now you can both stand on and jump through the top of that pillar.

I also made the player code a bit more self-contained to allow for re-use in other characters... which brings me to the main addition since the last video:

You can now add a second player by pressing ENTER anywhere in the level. Player 2 is controlled with WASD + B. To accomodate same keyboard multiplay I've added CTRL as an alternative attack key for player 1 and changed the level cycle button to / (previously SPACE) to prevent accidental level changes.

The camera follows player 1. Once I've implemented enemies I'll probably make it so cam switches to player 2 if 1 dies. For versus multiplayer I may have to consider split-screen, though there's a risk of this clashing rather badly with the vase aesthetic. Will see.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »

Looking good. I tried the two players, and then I tried to make the second player to make a circle while the first player wait. So I basically pressed left and jump every short while.
At first it seemed to work, the second player reappeared from the other side. Although I thought it appeared aburtly and not from the edge of the screen. The second time I tried to do this, the second player seem to have vanished. I couldn't find him with the first player.
Pressing Enter again didn't spawn the second player(after he dissappeared).
Aprt from that, looks like this game is going to be fun. Smiley

Master of all trades.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »

You can now add a second player by pressing ENTER

What happens when Player 1 runs left and Player 2 runs right, or just stays put? Methinks you're going to need split screen mode.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »

@PompiPompi: Yeah, that's a bug. It works perfectly if you are not at the edge where the level wraps, but I need to figure out a good way to have the 2nd player wrap with an offset if player 1 is within view of the invisible edge. I could cheat and have the player not appear at the actual place he's wrapping from, but just off-screen instead... though maybe that would cause other problems.

The second thing, what seems to have happened is the player went beyond the border but did not get wrapped back to the right place at the start and since player 2 still exists somewhere you can't add a new player. I put some things in to check for that but I guess they're not a 100% yet.

@rek: I'm thinking for co-op I will probably make it like Little Big Planet where if you stay off-screen too long, you die automatically... except that one player always leads the camera (until they die). For versus I will have to either go split-screen or make single screen arenas only. The latter could be limiting.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 03:05:12 AM »

I did a bunch of animation thumbnails in August and a few more since, exploring ideas for moves:

I've basically been putting them in as and when I need them, leaving purely cosmetic stuff for later (mostly). Some I've discarded, many are already in. Right now I'm working on getting spears integrated:

The plan is for the spear to be a high-damage throwing weapon, which can be picked up in the level (but NOT kept in an inventory). I'm undecided whether to put the shield away or not. Having the shield is more iconic and historically appropriate, but it also means you should be able to block while holding the spear and I'm leaning towards making the player vulnerable to balance out the power of the weapon.

On the other hand, not being able to block while aiming may be enough to balance that out. I'll know once I put in some enemies, or versus.

Not having the shield makes more sense for throwing though and it may be useful to clearly differentiate the throwing and melee state.

A lot of pros and cons in short.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:46:29 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2011, 03:35:43 AM »

Love the art style for this. Always been a fan of blocks and pillars too (ever since Lemmings). Keep up the good work!

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 03:52:32 AM »

Thanks! The finished game will probably have a greater variety of environments than this, but blocks and pillars will continue to feature prominently. Grin

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 06:10:15 AM »

Love the look of this! Excited to see it develop further.

|
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »

@moonmagic: Thanks. Smiley

After a brief detour on an older project, I'm back to working on this.

I've read up on blend modes a little and managed to find something that does what I want... basically a "Multiply" filter so I can add the edge shading on scrolling levels. Turns out this does the trick: draw_set_blend_mode_ext(bm_dest_color, bm_inv_src_alpha)

I've made it a bit more subtle than before though:

I've added spears as well... but I still need to make it so player characters can pick them up and throw them.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »

I mentioned before how I wasn't sure split-screen would fit, but I think I've found a layout that would work for Versus. Here's a mockup:

Player names would be done similarly to how names were painted onto vases to clarify who was who (since attributes were not always enough to recognize people). I might fade these out after a few seconds, or I could keep them visible at all times. Not sure yet.

This will make wrapping levels a lot more complicated, but I'll worry about that when I get to it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:49:35 PM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »

Still need to fix a few things before version 6 is ready to go, but here's a new video with some progress:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic