Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:51:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHellas - greek vase game v25
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Hellas - greek vase game v25  (Read 105411 times)
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »

I will probably add some kind of "The gods demand sacrifice!" text if you try to use a power with zero sacrifices.

Ooh ooh ooh, make the screen rumble (and crack the vase?) or add a flash of lightning when that happens too often Smiley
CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »

@Caran Elmoth: Thanks!

@rek: That is a cool idea.

@CEDE: Nice doodle! I take it you're suggesting I should have separate vases connecting, with the player moving between them? I've thought about doing something like this and my initial feeling was probably not, but maybe there are some places where this could be interesting... like in level transitions. We will see. Wink

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »

Yeh the level select screen could use these...

CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »

@CEDE: Nice doodle! I take it you're suggesting I should have separate vases connecting, with the player moving between them? I've thought about doing something like this and my initial feeling was probably not, but maybe there are some places where this could be interesting... like in level transitions. We will see. Wink

Actually no. I just drew it this way for fun.

However the separate vase thing could work, but probably would be better as a mechanic in something full 3D so you could be going around and up vases and have a stronger impression of the dimensions and depth.

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:24 AM »

@CEDE: Agreed. There are ways it could work in 2D (which I may use), but something like that would be better suited to 3D.

@eigenbom: Definitely.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 01:54:41 AM »

I definitely like it how it is now and don't think it needs the separate vases thing but could see it working for level transitions and the level select.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:27:34 AM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2012, 03:02:50 AM »

I think it could be nice in the menus and perhaps in the opening of the game to really show the vases, but if I use it in the game proper it will be sparingly.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2012, 03:35:53 AM »

I've been doing some thinking recently about scope.

Ideally I would like to cover a broad range of mythology, but realistically I won't be able to do ALL OF IT, so I've had a think about what I would consider the minimum acceptable game and where I would expand if possible.

MINIMUM
- monster sandbox: modestly-sized circular arena levels (partly procedural?), with a range of enemies and god powers to play with, single- and multiplayer (co-op and versus)

This is what I'm building now. The core gameplay if you will. However, I would like to do some kind of story mode as well, so:

GOAL
- monster sandbox
- singleplayer/co-op story mode (1 or more stories)

The story mode will scale depending on what I can adapt to interesting gameplay within a reasonable timeframe. Any new gameplay features will also go into the sandbox.

There are a number of obvious choices for story levels:

- 12 Labours of Herakles (boss battles)
- The Trojan War (the horse, the duel, etc)
- The Odyssee (the 10 year journey from Troy to Ithaca)
- other stories that would maybe work as single "vignette" levels

The 12 Labours seem the best choice for an initial series of levels. It's one of the most iconic and spectacular stories, with great monsters and clear protagonist and antagonist gods in Zeus and Hera, plus companion hero Iolaos (co-op!).

I've found in previous projects that aiming for something scalable saves a lot of trouble down the line because you can both add to it if you have more time (and ideas) and scale back if it gets out of hand. So this is the plan.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2012, 03:09:14 AM »

Of course, before I get carried away, there are a number of questions that I still need to answer with the prototype: (though more things need to be implemented before I can answer them)

• The main one: Will hero + god co-op be satisfying enough for both players, or is it better suited for singleplayer where one player does both the platforming AND the powers?

• Can combat, powers + platforming sustain hero vs hero combat without monsters?

• Will it be fun to play an antagonist god that works against the hero (adding monsters, obstacles, etc)?

• Would local 4-player hero + god vs hero + god be possible?

There are technical questions that need answering as well, but this is mostly just me needing to read up on GML some more. There don't seem to be any things (that I want to do) that absolutely cannot be done in Game Maker, so I just need to learn how to do them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:37:30 PM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »

Right then. Version 8:

http://www.ninjadodo.net/temp/hellas/hellas_v08.zip

I've done some work on refining collisions and climbing. Also made it so you can jump from a climb immediately if you let go of UP and press again.

I added feedback for failed jumps under low ceilings. Before if you pressed jump under a low ceiling nothing happened. Now you do a mini jump-and-land so that it's clear the game is reacting to the button press while still blocking the jump.

Made some changes to spear throwing: a running throw on the ground was going the same distance as a standing throw (only air throws were using momentum). Now a running throw goes further. I left airborne-, standing- and crouched throws untouched.

Also took out one frame from the running (sword) attack so the timing's the same as the air attacks.

The only new bit of gameplay is shield blocking, which stops projectiles and fellow players (one way). This will be handy later.

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

Excellent art style. Looking forward to seeing more.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »

Here's a new video as well:

[edit: reuploaded with better encoding]

@imaginationac: Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:10:07 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

So forgive me if you've already answered this but do you plan on keeping the mouse control as a part of the game or is it strictly for development testing?

I like imagining the mouse control being "the Favor of the Gods" in game play.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2012, 10:39:01 AM »

It's a feature. In exchange for sacrifices (food & wine) you can call on the aid of the gods, who help you with various powers. For now the only one I've implemented is grabbing and manipulating (throwing) of physical objects (including the player).

The plan is to eventually have different gods to choose from, each with different powers.

Powers will be controlled with the mouse as they are now, and you will be able to select different ones to assist your hero. So this would be hero + god co-op.

In theory one player could control both, but I'm thinking for singleplayer I will either need to adjust the pace of the game so the player has time to switch OR I'll do something with hotkeys so the hero player can ask the gods for specific powers and use only keyboard (or gamepad) to control everything.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »

Crap of Zeus, that's awesome!

Powers will be controlled with the mouse as they are now, and you will be able to select different ones to assist your hero. So this would be hero + god co-op.

In theory one player could control both, but I'm thinking for singleplayer I will either need to adjust the pace of the game so the player has time to switch OR I'll do something with hotkeys so the hero player can ask the gods for specific powers and use only keyboard (or gamepad) to control everything.

And this answers my second question.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32:30 PM »

You might find this interesting: http://www.alientrap.org/games/apotheon

Lips Sealed Hand Thumbs Down Right

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:10 AM »

Yea, I saw that! Instantely thought of your game...

Edit: removed swearing XD
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:08:06 AM by PompiPompi » Logged

Master of all trades.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2012, 07:09:14 AM »

That is interesting. I'm curious, by Hand Thumbs Down Left are you saying you think I am copying them, or are you saying you think they are copying me?

Pretty sure neither is the case, here.

This is the first I've seen or heard of their project and my devlog has only been going since September 2011, but I can tell you that I have been thinking about making this game since sometime in 2007... so independent invention I guess. I expect our games go in fairly different directions though beyond superficial similarity.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »

That is interesting. I'm curious, by Hand Thumbs Down Left are you saying you think I am copying them, or are you saying you think they are copying me?

Pretty sure neither is the case, here.

This is the first I've seen or heard of their project and my devlog has only been going since September 2011, but I can tell you that I have been thinking about making this game since sometime in 2007... so independent invention I guess. I expect our games go in fairly different directions though beyond superficial similarity.
I don't know, either you are too naive, or I am too paranoid. XD

Master of all trades.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic