Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:03:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingKartSim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: KartSim  (Read 1881 times)
ZachGriffin
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »

Hi guys,

First post here after reading the forums for quite a while...

I'm 26, and have been working on my game for the past 5 and a bit years; 3 of which were mostly spent learning. I've just launched the website and the first gameplay video of the game and would love to get your feedback on both.

The game/simulation is built with Unity and I've written the physics system from scratch to simulate the kart. All written in C# and uses raw RakNet for the multiplayer. FPS controls are also implemented in the game so players can walk around the pits in between races. I've also added a leveling system that allows the players to earn points for winning/fastest laps etc, which they can use to unlock additional content to customize their avatar/pits.

I know its a racing game and a bit different to what you guys generally get asked to provide feedback on, but it would be great getting views from non racing game players. The video only shows the driving part of the game at the moment, so I'll try and get another video of the FPS mode later.

Gameplay Video:

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think! Don't be too harsh  Tongue

EDIT 21.03.2014

New gameplay footage can be found here. Skip to 1:47 for the footage to start.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:46:41 PM by ZachGriffin » Logged
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »

Stop being so sickeningly humble... this looks great! Normally not the type of game I'd play, but it looks impressive and I have a feeling this will be a popular one. Grats on sticking with it for 5 long years. Seems to be the magic number for a few indie developers  Wink

Awaiting your demo!

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »

Hello, the game looks GREAT, congratulations!

A couple of questions... Why didn't you add the driver's hands? Why did you place the camera in a non-centered position (without a demo is difficult to say, but with the current position I think that left-hand bends are easier than right-hand ones)?

Waiting for demo! Hand Fork LeftWell, hello there!Hand Knife Right

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »

Well, it looks gorgeous. That's not like attempting to be snarky or anything, you've plainly put some time into your engine and textures(or stolen them from pretty good sources :D ).

But it's a bit too open-worldy for me at the moment... Wink

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ZachGriffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »

Thanks guys!

@Gryphon - I hope so, I had the idea back in 02/03 so it'll be great to finally finish it. 5 years is really what it takes to hone your craft I think. Lets hope it's also the magic number Wink

@Yajo - The driver isn't in the kart as I'm just finishing up the transition from walking to jumping in and driving the kart. I recorded a whole lot of mocap for it and just getting it to sync properly with the physics. I'd rather show it off when it looks spot on, hence turning it off.

The cam position was purely for the video to show off the game similar to this vid @ 2:16

The main driving view is from a normal point of view which I'll be showing off once the driver is done. The sidepod is certainly a difficult view to drive from Wink
ZachGriffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 01:15:47 AM »

Well, it looks gorgeous. That's not like attempting to be snarky or anything, you've plainly put some time into your engine and textures(or stolen them from pretty good sources :D ).

But it's a bit too open-worldy for me at the moment... Wink

Thanks starsrift. Everything was photosourced from a bunch of photos I took at the track. Can you elaborate on open-worldy? I'm interested in what you mean Wink
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 02:09:21 AM »

I mean there's no rules or game mechanics in place there yet, it's just driving freely around a track. :D

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
dertom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »

Wow, that looks so impressive and actually I can't wait to see a demo of it. It looks soo immersive!

Check out my game "Wood Games 3D" |  TrailerAndroid |
twitter: tomaga95
aekeren
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:56:38 AM »

I haven't been on a GoKart for at least 10 years, yet watching that trailer immediately brought me back to my 6th grade field trip when I narrowly missed grabbing 1st place.  You nailed the feel of karting perfectly!
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »

This looks great, a couple of friends of mine will be interested in this. Keep working on this!
ZachGriffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »

Hi everyone,

After my last post back in 2011, I thought I'd show off some new gameplay footage. The prototype was completed in Unity and after having taken a year off to work on another project, I'm now back developing the final release after moving to a more robust production capable engine.

I'd love to get your feedback on it. 

You can skip to 1:47 for the gameplay footage as I discuss another development project at the start of the video.

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »

This is awesome, Zach! I'm assuming you actually race Arrow karts? I actually used to have a B-Max and just destroyed my X2 down at the Florida Winter Tour back in February at Ocala Gran Prix. 60 MPH into a plastic barrier:

Keep up the good work!  Toast Right

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »

That looks incredible, graphically. I also love the amount of detail put into it, in terms of little animated touches and the idea of letting people walk around in between races. I love it when games allow that. This seems to be coming along really well so far.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 12:54:15 AM »

It's a wonderful news that you are still on this! It is sublime!

ZachGriffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 06:02:40 AM »

@Xienen That's a pretty bad crash and nothing you could have done! I used to race karts with my last race back in '08. Raced Arrow, Monaco and Intrepid chassis' with both KT100S/TM100 FA engines. I can't wait to get back into it. 

@Quicksand-S Thanks a lot! It makes the whole experience a lot more immersive when walking around the pits/track and spectating other drivers.

@Flavio Thanks! I'm glad you like it!
Jupitron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 07:16:38 AM »

Man, the game looks sick! Really looking foward to play it!!! If you have twitter post it so I can follow news.
ZachGriffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »

Thanks Jupitron! Its Twitter handle is @KartSim
Minion Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »

Looks very impressive... signed up.

-Eric, Minion Studios
Didi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »

This looks awesome, so much work has definitely paid off big time. Hope you get this published under convenient terms for you and your team.

I have question about this:
The prototype was completed in Unity and after having taken a year off to work on another project, I'm now back developing the final release after moving to a more robust production capable engine.

Could you specify how the lack of robustness of Unity has manifested in your project? And what engine are you using currently?

Congratulations for your progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic