Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:01:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515327 times)
nekokoneko
« Reply #2040 on: December 09, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »

Natsume Yuujinchou
Mushishi
Real Dive
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2041 on: December 09, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

tatami galaxy - wasn't sure I liked this at first, but keep watching.
nichijou - its cute, hilarious, great animations
definitely watch those two.

there's also these I've liked

gurren lagann
welcome to the nhk
cowboy bebop
big o
trava:fist planet \ red line
akira
lupin the iii
flcl
samurai champloo
tekkonkinkreet
genius party/genius party beyond
ink.inc
« Reply #2042 on: December 09, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »

the tatami galaxy is like a happier version of oyasumi punpun (assuming punpun had the power to reset time)
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: December 10, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »

I haven't actually seen Spice and Wolf, but its reputation is much, much better than you make it sound.

For romance with a bit of fantasy/magic realism/surrealism, I'm gonna say Kamichu!

Also, just finished The Daughter of Twenty Faces. I love finding excellent shows that no one talks about. The direction that the plot ultimately settled in was a bit underwhelming, but overall really good.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:04:59 AM by Aik » Logged
Erobotan
« Reply #2044 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:28 AM »

Also, just finished The Daughter of Twenty Faces. I love finding excellent shows that no one talks about. The direction that the plot ultimately settled in was a bit underwhelming, but overall really good.
I've seen that one! My comment is: it's almost brilliant! If it has more budget then it's definitely going to be a brilliant series! Glad to see some people pay attention to an obscure under appreciated anime ^^. I love the setting and the main character definitely kickass XD.

Little girls with eye patches
You mean my avatar? I think Chuunibyou is an excellent series, it's been a while since I had a lot of good laugh watching anime. I've watched 4 episodes so far and in my opinion, the comedic level is comparable to Shirokuma Cafe (Polar Bear Cafe).

but based on your post, i think something serious, dark, and angry is more fitting for you :D! I suggest Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (I thint it's 2002 version, I kinda forgot the year ..)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:15:41 AM by Erobotan » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #2045 on: December 10, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-1366282

punpun vol 11 has been released; can't wait for it to be fan-lated :I

I have a bad feeling about this one.  I don't see a happy ending for any of these characters and it's starting to feel like the beginning of the end.

if punpun doesnt end up with sachi i will flip my shit

seriously she's one of my favorite female characters in any medium, ever. self-motivated, agressive, insightful, funny, and brutally honest- but insecure and quick to anger... a great foil to punpun, and a great character to read in her own right.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:44:56 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #2046 on: December 10, 2012, 02:56:36 AM »

Little girls with eye patches
You mean my avatar? I think Chuunibyou is an excellent series, it's been a while since I had a lot of good laugh watching anime. I've watched 4 episodes so far and in my opinion, the comedic level is comparable to Shirokuma Cafe (Polar Bear Cafe).

chuunibyou does very little, if anything, to break out of the mold. it's pretty obvious what is going to happen to who and when. the characters are straight up baked from cookie-cutter molds, and a lot of chuunibyou's humor is reliant on having an understanding of the tropes that it apes, as well as all the different references it throws out there. like rikka being a carbon copy of a certain specific animu character, and isshiki making overt callbacks to the "light music club" etc. etc. which is as bottom-of-the-barrel as humor gets. alternatively, someone does something, somebody else overreacts, bu-dum-tsh.

it's cute, and i can't deny that i have a good time watching it. but it's just a lot of fluff. nothing groundbreaking.

HOWEVER if rikka had actually fallen off that roof and died and turned the series into an analysis of the psychological repercussions of her death on The Priestess and everyone else, that would have been great :I

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:14:27 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: December 10, 2012, 06:13:39 AM »

i agree that sachi is perfect. also i've been reading a shitload of one piece lately. despite the storylines being a little simplistic and oda being kind of a sexist shitbag, the art and characters are still pretty amazing and it has some of the best character designs i've ever seen. jinbe is my waifu.

Lo
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: December 10, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »

HOWEVER if rikka had actually fallen off that roof and died and turned the series into an analysis of the psychological repercussions of her death on The Priestess and everyone else, that would have been great :I
Very edgy. Take the most obvious route when trying to make the series something "valid."

Here is my suggestion:
She should've turned into a mecha.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: December 10, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »

Very edgy. Take the most obvious route when trying to make the series something "valid."

Here is my suggestion:
She should've turned into a mecha.

she should have fallen off the roof, protag gets NTR'd by hairclip girl, and then become a mecha, fighting crime and flaky men everywhere.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: December 10, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »

HOLY SHIT THE NEW JOJOLION WHAT

WHAT

Lo
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »

did he fall off a roof

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2052 on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »

I started reading Gantz. I like it! Very interesting premise and theme, very sexy, voluptuous boobies, and it's certainly not kawaii uguu desu BS. Good ol' shonen manga! In some ways it kind of evokes the same kind of vibe that Evangelion did for me the first time I saw it. Like, I felt like I was really there in the characters' world, seeing things as they did. I dunno. Anyways, I'm only halfway through volume 3, so I'm interested in reading more!

Bandages
« Reply #2053 on: December 10, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »

The nice thing about Gantz is it just sort of murderously rambles forward endlessly
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2054 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »

Gantz would be much better with some pacing management. SOme battles really just take forever.

Also phubans, you mihgt enjoy akumetsu

nekokoneko
« Reply #2055 on: December 10, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »

Akumetsu
Shamo
Homunculus
Eternal Sabbath
Solanin
Freesia
Heads

^ More mature well written psychological manga.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »

Gantz starts great but becomes shit. Enjoy the good bits while they last.

And I still really don't understand why Akumetsu is so highly rated. I thought it was juvenile shit trying to be superedgy, except most of the plot comes out in endless monologues against cardboard cutout villains who then die rinse-and-repeat, so it's not even the fun sort of superedgy. If you're Japanese and really hate your country's politicians (which is fair enough, they seem to be pretty terrible) then sure, I guess there might be something there for you, but otherwise I don't get the hype.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 10, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »

I haven't actually seen Spice and Wolf, but its reputation is much, much better than you make it sound.

I said I really liked it, and that it was what got me interested in finding similar stuff.  I am just putting my guard up and disassociating myself from the pervier aspects of the show.  Even tho I would totally make Holo my waifu if I was the marryingu type.

Thanx to everybody for the recs, that is gonna keep me busy for a while.
Bandages
« Reply #2058 on: December 10, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »

And I still really don't understand why Akumetsu is so highly rated.

Violence. Fun protagonist. Heavy lines artstyle. All subjective of course, but I certainly got a kick out of it. I wouldn't call Akumetsu a masterpiece but it's fun. And that's good enough.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2059 on: December 11, 2012, 12:11:54 AM »

Finished A Certain Magical Index II last night, I think I enjoyed it much more than the first season because the main characters had a base to build upon and new ones had their motivations explained pretty well.
The overarching plot suited it better than the day to day format and those battle scenes were great.

It ended on an interesting "To be continued" kind of note like the first series but this time you actually have an idea of what's going to happen next. Still looking forward to the movie along with Railgun S whenever that's happening.

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic