Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:55:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515285 times)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »

wasn't that what the guy in lost did

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ink.inc
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

What?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2012, 12:01:45 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Straume

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
keo
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »

Akira manga, hooked wished my library had more than the first two volumes.  gangs punks mind alterating drugs that can foster super powers exploiting them as super weapons as power leverage for nations comparative to nuclear weapons and the arms race and nazi mad scientists.  Have not read much manga, Otomo's work moves, it's fast, detailed, and rather than convey large stretches of time in a few frames and narrative, it's very cinematic, second by second.  Kaneda and his friends waiting in the principle's office priceless.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2012, 11:53:17 PM »

This isn't anime but

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Kramlack
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »

Akira manga, hooked wished my library had more than the first two volumes.  gangs punks mind alterating drugs that can foster super powers exploiting them as super weapons as power leverage for nations comparative to nuclear weapons and the arms race and nazi mad scientists.  Have not read much manga, Otomo's work moves, it's fast, detailed, and rather than convey large stretches of time in a few frames and narrative, it's very cinematic, second by second.  Kaneda and his friends waiting in the principle's office priceless.

I love, love, love the manga (have the whole set), it makes so much more sense than the movie did, so if you're a fan of the movie, it's worth reading the manga to get a better understanding of just what the hell is going on.
keo
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »

When I read it, it reminds you just how many years one has to put into making something so cohesive and brilliant, which makes a work a classic.  [my train of logic now jumps to the decline of the Final Fantasy series, rather than with every release something different with the side exceptions of chocobos and mages, I wonder if it would still be a gem of a series if it built off old storylines.  Years of work is accumulated rather having to start from scratch every dev cycle.  I think that is part of the success of the Zelda series.  end of thought]

I might have to give in to finding a digital copies of the volumes, me broke.
Kramlack
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »

As an aside, I'd recommend anyone with the cash to go out and grab them. They were re-released last year, so they aren't hard to find now, as they were for years prior. They're fairly cheap too, at least on Amazon (all volumes are $20 or less).
ink.inc
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »

I found the entire series at my library. You should check yours; you may get lucky. (oops)

keo
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »

I thought I might just sit down at barnes and nobles for an evening well spent.
edit: also
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:48:45 PM by #452 » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »

Haha, that's how I catch up on a lot of comics. Though I always feel kind of shitty when I freeload like that, so I end up buying an art book or something from time to time.

I really like the Ghost in the Shell universe, and some of the themes that it carries with it.

Also the animation is really good.

Everything had a certain sort of gravity, or weight to it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:15:38 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »

I loved the Ghost In The Shell films, although the show never seemed to carry the same weight, partly because the philosophical elements were underplayed.

ink.inc
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »

By gravity/weight, I meant the actual animation.

At any rate, what I found interesting about the Major was her complete disconnect with her body, as if it were an alien entity. As seen in the gif you just posted, her actions are quite often reckless, and done without a thought for her own well being. For her, it was just a tool to get things done.

Regarding the series, I found it somewhat odd that the male characters were done in a more 'realistic' fashion, while the Major looked more anime-doll-esque.

Still a fun series to watch, though.

That episode in particular was really good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:40:22 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »

And now time for some more gifs. Here's some examples of some good animation.

Haruko from FLCL

Asuka from Evangelion

The Girl Who Leapt Through Timt

Ghost in the Shell SAC

ToraDora

Bidry the Mighty

Noein

Gurren Lagann

Sword of the Stranger

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva

Yozakura Quartet

Bake Monogatari

Xamd

Black Rock Shooter

Nichijou

Summer Wars

When I think of the time and effort it took to draw these, I shudder.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:32:48 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »

Actually my use of the word "weight" was just coincidental, in retrospect it was probably a poor choice of words.

Also, that wall of gifs is amazing.
ink.inc
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »

Most of these gifs make the 'camera' feel as if it has its own weight. Like the camera was just a person in the scene, watching, and trying to follow the movements of all the characters (and having a bit of difficulty doing so). I also appreciated the slight blurring of the camera at times, as if it were refocusing. These two techniques help to make the animation feel more... visceral?

Added a few more gifs to that wall.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:37:20 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »

Have you seen all of those anime John? If so, you have good taste. Also, I just found a copy of Tekkon Kinkreet at a local video rental store.  Grin

ink.inc
« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »

I've watched FLCL, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Birdy the Mighty (really cool fight scenes), bits of Noein, all of Gurren Lagann, and one or two episodes of Nichijou. The rest were just really cool bits of animation I found (though I do want to watch them).
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »

Here's some awesome Madoka gifs:

ink.inc
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »

I've been somewhat interested in watching Madoka (I hear crazy shit starts happening around episode 3), but the art doesn't really appeal to me. I don't like the way the eyes are drawn, and I don't like the wideness of the face.

I guess that brings me to a couple of anime pet peeves I have, namely side-mouth and block mouth (of which Nichijou is a huge offender).

I also dislike the "generic" anime style that I see a lot in low budget shows, ie bland 'stock' faces with very poor differentiation or notable facial features.

Compare that to Ghost in the Shell SAC, where each character's face was distinct.

>:(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:45:01 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic