Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:50:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515470 times)
kshaja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4920 on: August 27, 2015, 03:34:03 AM »

What do you think about movie version of attack of the titan?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2072230/

It's getting hammered on IMDB. It sounds like they may have botched the adaption pretty badly. Sad

A couple of quotes from one of the reviews:

"trying to incorporate more romance between Eren and Mikasa"

Er... that doesn't sound good.

"Eren turns out to be more of a kind who's willing to do anything to win back Mikasa."

... is this true? If so, did the writers even watch the anime?

Brother and sister? WTF

They are?
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4921 on: August 27, 2015, 04:21:29 AM »

Adopted, but yeah.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4922 on: August 27, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »

Its fraternal for the most part, but I dont think they are that indifferent towards each other tbh.

That said, Mikasa has been sidestepped a bit in the current story arc of the manga, which makes me sad. I hope she gets more time in the limelight. Eren is a somehwta deconstructed shonen hero thing, but still he isnt that interestingly developed. I really would have wished he had turned into a decoy protagonist.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:11 AM »

i'll be rewatching SAO season 1

I am such a bad person.

That's great! you are doing great!

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4924 on: August 27, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »

I really would have wished he had turned into a decoy protagonist.

That would have been epic. I was a bit disappointed at the time when it didn't happen. I've since come to appreciate the direction they took in the end though. AoT is a good series.

Its fraternal for the most part

I think "fraternal" was the word I was looking for but couldn't think of at the time.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4925 on: August 27, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »

Live-action Attack on Titan writer talks about changes from anime, with one demanded by creator

Early on, Machiyama was considering making Levi, by far Attack on Titan’s most popular character, the movie’s central figure. He says the idea was dropped, though, since the letter V, nonexistent in Japanese, and in Machiyama’s opinion rare throughout East Asia, wouldn’t have fit with the Japanese setting, and so Levi was scrubbed from the live-action continuity entirely.

"Let's make Levi the most important part of our movie! Wait, there's a V in his name. Let's change our plans entirely because of this one small problem. Not only will he not be the focus, he will be REMOVED COMPLETELY"

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4926 on: August 28, 2015, 05:06:11 AM »

can I just say that the overwhelming popularity of this show with giant creepy naked people eating normal people is making me feel out of touch not only with japanese animation, but with young people in general

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4927 on: August 28, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »

its basically the walking dead but with giant naked people instead of zombies, and better.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4928 on: August 28, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »

I am such a bad person.

nice

well, I'm still watching it, I think the first half was good and I love the idea, I'd just want it to happen in real life and never come back from that world :<

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4929 on: August 28, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »

I am such a bad person.

nice

well, I'm still watching it, I think the first half was good and I love the idea, I'd just want it to happen in real life and never come back from that world :<

And fair enough. Smiley

The video I linked isn't shy about sticking the boot in where SAO dropped the ball, but in fairness it does point out a lot of the things they got right as well.

I think they referenced a couple of similarly-themed anime in the video as well? If you're a fan of the SAO setting then perhaps they might be of interest too?

Live-action Attack on Titan writer talks about changes from anime, with one demanded by creator

Early on, Machiyama was considering making Levi, by far Attack on Titan’s most popular character, the movie’s central figure. He says the idea was dropped, though, since the letter V, nonexistent in Japanese, and in Machiyama’s opinion rare throughout East Asia, wouldn’t have fit with the Japanese setting, and so Levi was scrubbed from the live-action continuity entirely.

"Let's make Levi the most important part of our movie! Wait, there's a V in his name. Let's change our plans entirely because of this one small problem. Not only will he not be the focus, he will be REMOVED COMPLETELY"

I wonder if perhaps they had originally planned to make the adaption awesome, but didn't because the "w" in "awesome" looks awfully like the letter "v" twice. So they decided to just make it "very good", but as there was a "v" in it, they dropped that as well. They considered "average", but ran into a similar problem. I note that the letter "v" does not appear in "subpar". Perhaps they then also realised the letter "v" does not appear in "let's discard all of the established characterisation" or "stuff it, let's turn Mikasa into a romantic interest". It would explain a lot.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: August 28, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »

I wonder if perhaps they had originally planned to make the adaption awesome, but didn't because the "w" in "awesome" looks awfully like the letter "v" twice. So they decided to just make it "very good", but as there was a "v" in it, they dropped that as well. They considered "average", but ran into a similar problem. I note that the letter "v" does not appear in "subpar". Perhaps they then also realised the letter "v" does not appear in "let's discard all of the established characterisation" or "stuff it, let's turn Mikasa into a romantic interest". It would explain a lot.

My Word! brillant!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: August 28, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4932 on: August 29, 2015, 02:43:01 PM »

Yeah, that one's awesome. Smiley

They have a few entries in their Honest Anime series, and they're generally quite good.
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: September 01, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »

I have enjoyed some good anime like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, the first season of Death Note, the first 40000 episodes of One Piece, Naruto while they are still kids, and AoT. I even like some of the shitty ones like Psycho Pass, Berserk, Code Geass, and Shiki. Can anyone recommend something?

No particular criteria, but the fewer times that the following things happen, the better.

1- A big sister type hits someone on the head
2- People turn into primitive renderings of themselves in order to express outrage
3- Giant stupid teardrops appear
4- Someone accidentally falls into breasts
5- People play a video game, wherein the entire plot takes place
6- Someone goes to high school
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »

well you should have a look at lucky star  Evil

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: September 01, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »

I'll state the obvious:

If you have not seen Kill La Kill or Guren Lagan, go watch both of them right now.

KLK may seem like it takes place in a school, but I promise you that no stereotypical "school" thing happens in it.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: September 01, 2015, 03:25:39 PM »

I have enjoyed some good anime like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, the first season of Death Note, the first 40000 episodes of One Piece, Naruto while they are still kids, and AoT. I even like some of the shitty ones like Psycho Pass, Berserk, Code Geass, and Shiki. Can anyone recommend something?

No particular criteria, but the fewer times that the following things happen, the better.

2- People turn into primitive renderings of themselves in order to express outrage

Sounds like you need to watch Mushishi! It has none of the above and is the most chill and relaxed anime I've ever seen.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: September 01, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »

Initial D is entertaining if you like cars.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: September 01, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »

I am unfamiliar with ALL OF THESE. Thank you!  Gentleman
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4939 on: September 01, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »

Based on your preferences, all IMHO:

- Ninja Scroll: I'm assuming the original? Excellent. There is a Ninja Scroll series- skip it, it is rubbish. Watch Basilisk instead- similar setting, and a great series.
- Berserk: If you've only seen the 2003+ movies, go back and watch the 1997 series, which IMHO is much better.
- Cowboy Bebop: You might also enjoy Trigun.
- One Piece: Well, there's always the remaining 160000 episodes.

These might also be of interest:
- Darker than Black season 1 only
- Fullmetal Alchemist (is a classic)
- Black Lagoon
- Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Skip the original. This a bit older, but very well done.
- Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate

Some of the titles here occasionally fail #2 or #3, but not enough to interfere with your enjoyment of them.

Enjoy. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic