Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:37:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515569 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: September 01, 2015, 05:30:05 PM »

monster
21st century boy

Youi should try hunter x hunter it get really good at some point

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: September 02, 2015, 01:22:29 AM »

Ninja Scroll: I'm assuming the original? Excellent. There is a Ninja Scroll series- skip it, it is rubbish. Watch Basilisk instead- similar setting, and a great series.
Original is messed up garbage with shittier animation, what are talking about.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4942 on: September 02, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »

Ninja Scroll: I'm assuming the original? Excellent. There is a Ninja Scroll series- skip it, it is rubbish. Watch Basilisk instead- similar setting, and a great series.
Original is messed up garbage with shittier animation, what are talking about.

I'm afraid I may just have to disagree with you there. Gentleman

In any case, yeahjim enjoyed it too. I think Basilisk (which I also feel is great) is worth a watch for anyone who enjoyed Ninja Scroll (such as myself).

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Ninja Scroll series? The original 1993 anime was (I believe) generally well liked. The Ninja Scroll series (2003) was IMHO rubbish, and a bit of a slap in the face for those who enjoyed the original.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: September 02, 2015, 02:59:08 AM »

both were bad, series had better pacing and more action
maybe vagina snakes and penis-mouth vampires are not my cup of tea
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4944 on: September 02, 2015, 03:32:30 AM »

maybe vagina snakes and penis-mouth vampires are not my cup of tea

If there is one thing I have learned today, it is to not put those into Google as search terms.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: September 02, 2015, 03:39:54 AM »

but its out when you just google ninja scroll
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4946 on: September 02, 2015, 03:57:32 AM »

Ninja Scroll movie was really cool and sad

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4947 on: September 02, 2015, 03:59:55 AM »

i'll be rewatching SAO season 1

I am such a bad person.

nice

well, I'm still watching it, I think the first half was good and I love the idea, I'd just want it to happen in real life and never come back from that world :<

And fair enough. Smiley

The video I linked isn't shy about sticking the boot in where SAO dropped the ball, but in fairness it does point out a lot of the things they got right as well.

I think they referenced a couple of similarly-themed anime in the video as well? If you're a fan of the SAO setting then perhaps they might be of interest too?
Well, I tries watching this Log Horizon (is that what it was called?) but it was definitely not my cup of tea, they were all acting like it's not a surprise that they got locked in a game ("duh, again?...") and the rules that were set there really didn't appeal to me (same with other games than the first in SAO, though the first half of second season was pretty good too)

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4948 on: September 02, 2015, 04:33:56 AM »

I think they referenced a couple of similarly-themed anime in the video as well? If you're a fan of the SAO setting then perhaps they might be of interest too?
Well, I tries watching this Log Horizon (is that what it was called?) but it was definitely not my cup of tea, they were all acting like it's not a surprise that they got locked in a game ("duh, again?...") and the rules that were set there really didn't appeal to me (same with other games than the first in SAO, though the first half of second season was pretty good too)

I'm not sure. I remember the video showing scenes from possibly two or so anime that I haven't seen- so I wasn't sure of their names. Sometimes when older anime are referenced in this way it is because they were good or groundbreaking in some way (or the person doing the video felt that was the case). I figured there was a chance that they could be hidden gems in this genre, and it might be something that you would enjoy.

Could it have been Log Horizon? I haven't seen it myself and I'm not too familiar with it myself so I really don't know. :{ Skimming the wiki article on it certainly suggests that it's in the right genre at least.
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: September 02, 2015, 05:37:42 AM »

To needlessly clarify: I did mean the original Ninja Scroll (did not know there was a sequel), and Vampire Hunter D (1985) is one of my top 10 movies. Thank you again, everyone.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4950 on: September 02, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »

I even like some of the shitty ones like [...] Berserk

Wowowow, stop right there. While the animation quality is terrible, Berserk is easily one of the best japanese media to come out. The manga is miles ahead better (while starting much much worse).

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: September 02, 2015, 06:45:42 AM »

they should make third Golden age arc adaptation and ignore the rest
we need more boring cliche characters that we dont care about
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: September 02, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »

I even like some of the shitty ones like [...] Berserk

Wowowow, stop right there. While the animation quality is terrible, Berserk is easily one of the best japanese media to come out. The manga is miles ahead better (while starting much much worse).

Actually, the relationship between tough dude, egomaniacal dude, and lady dude -- was spectacular. Coward dude and secretly in love with lady dude were also great. The parts where people were communicating were brilliant.

But the battles were laughable. I loved how ego dude was supposedly some kind of genius on the battlefield, but tactics never happened.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4953 on: September 02, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »

Yeah, their military conflicts were passable, but the manga playes up the more fantastical aspects and goes bonkers with them, and the dynamics keep changing up all the time. current arc shows quite some promise, but it kills me that new releases take forever.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4954 on: September 02, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »

they should make third Golden age arc adaptation and ignore the rest
we need more boring cliche characters that we dont care about
i was hoping that those ovas or whatever would not recycle the golden arc once more and start showing up the later arcs, like the inquisition stuff for example

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4955 on: September 02, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »

I did mean the original Ninja Scroll (did not know there was a sequel)

There was a series, but IMHO it is best to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Vampire Hunter D (1985) is one of my top 10 movies.

Then you definitely need to track down and watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000). It is really well done and a large step up in quality from the first. Normally I'd recommend watching the second one and only suggest the first if you were really keen. If you've actually watched the first already and enjoyed it then it's almost a given that you'll like the second.

Thank you again, everyone.

Not a problem. Smiley

Re Berserk: Berserk would have to be one of my favourite anime. Twenty-odd episodes of buildup with a bunch of mercenaries that you get to know and care about against the backdrop of a horribly cruel world. And then (massive spoilers follow) the Eclipse happens. With possibly the most hideous betrayal in any story, ever. And then you get to watch almost all of the characters you have come to know fight for their lives against impossible odds- and die horribly.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4956 on: September 02, 2015, 03:47:28 PM »

I have enjoyed some good anime like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, the first season of Death Note, the first 40000 episodes of One Piece, Naruto while they are still kids, and AoT. I even like some of the shitty ones like Psycho Pass, Berserk, Code Geass, and Shiki. Can anyone recommend something?

No particular criteria, but the fewer times that the following things happen, the better.

1- A big sister type hits someone on the head
2- People turn into primitive renderings of themselves in order to express outrage
3- Giant stupid teardrops appear
4- Someone accidentally falls into breasts
5- People play a video game, wherein the entire plot takes place
6- Someone goes to high school
Hello, here's me with my only anime recommendation:
Record of Lodoss War
it was made in the 90s but it doesn't do the thing where all characters are the same person with different colored hair so that's cool.
It's a tabletop RPG session except it's a japanese cartoon it's pretty neat

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: September 07, 2015, 08:29:39 PM »

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-0.html#h_read surprisingly good

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4958 on: September 08, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »

I have been reading it for some time already, and aside a few of the extra comics, I think its topnotch, and much better than most recent official material. We need a new webcomic thread around here..

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4959 on: September 10, 2015, 02:03:57 AM »

What do people think of:

- Clannad
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Monster

? I haven't seen any of them yet personally- just started reading up on them a bit.

Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic