Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:37:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515415 times)
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: September 10, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »

clannad is basically just context for the better clannad: after story

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: September 11, 2015, 05:26:46 AM »

Higurashi is well worth it, I think. I'm not really sold on the second season/the answer arcs, but it was an interesting idea anyway.
The first arc is particularly good horror.

I remember liking Monster when I read it years ago.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4962 on: September 11, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »

Cheers for that. This is in line with what I've been reading- that the original is reasonable, but After Story is the stronger one of the two.

After Story also appears to be one of the few anime with a 9+ rating on MyAnimeList- something I've not seen a lot of.

Higurashi is well worth it, I think. I'm not really sold on the second season/the answer arcs, but it was an interesting idea anyway.
The first arc is particularly good horror.

Excellent. Cheers for that. Smiley This one has been a bit tricky for me to figure out without, well, actually watching or spoiling it. I think I'll be giving this a go when I get the chance.

I remember liking Monster when I read it years ago.

I've just starting watching the anime and I really enjoyed the initial episodes. I'm still forming an opinion on the rest, but I can see why it is well-liked.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: September 11, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »

What do people think of:
- Clannad
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Monster
? I haven't seen any of them yet personally- just started reading up on them a bit.

- Higurashi: I fell asleep after two episodes during the projection at my university anime club. I heard it gets better.
- Monster: Slow paced, excellent character development, very unusual tone and setting (as far as anime goes)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: September 11, 2015, 10:07:24 PM »

Gamedragon
« Reply #4965 on: September 11, 2015, 11:58:21 PM »

Can anyone tell me what A Certain Scientific Railgun is like? The funimation site is region-blocked in Australia and I'd like to know what the series is like before going out and buying the box set.
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: September 12, 2015, 05:46:36 AM »

See, that is why I like a subscription model. I'd like to see the $140/m that most people spend on cable television move over toward direct support of what they like.

The the barrier for me is crappy rural internet service. At home, I get .5mbps downstream through extended DSL, so people like me can't make use of most streaming platforms for direct delivery. So I go to work, sneak onto the company network, steal 6 seasons at 30mbps, and sneak home to watch them.

The only physical media I bother with is vinyl. I really, really don't want blu-ray or giant robot dolls. I'd love to just be able to pay $20-$40/m and receive a dropbox link (or the like) every time there is a new episode.

Maybe I am a fringe example, but for me it's about convenience. Making it convenient to be ethical is where the entertainment industry needs to head, isn't it? Not just about anime, but also Game of Dragonboobs, vidya games, etc.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: September 12, 2015, 07:09:57 AM »

Cheers for that. This is in line with what I've been reading- that the original is reasonable, but After Story is the stronger one of the two.

After Story also appears to be one of the few anime with a 9+ rating on MyAnimeList- something I've not seen a lot of.

I suppose I should mention that After Story might lose some of its impact without the context of Clannad. I wouldn't know for sure since I can't erase my memory of the original, but I suppose you could argue the original makes you build a relationship with the characters first.

So while I don't think Clannad is particularly great, it might be necessary to experience the full extent of After Story.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4968 on: September 12, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »

What do people think of:
- Clannad
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Monster
? I haven't seen any of them yet personally- just started reading up on them a bit.

- Higurashi: I fell asleep after two episodes during the projection at my university anime club. I heard it gets better.

Thanks for that.

Was it slow to start? Or perhaps the initial episodes were just not very interesting? Something else?

- Monster: Slow paced, excellent character development, very unusual tone and setting (as far as anime goes)

That seems to match my experience thus far. From what I've seen, the pace is slow, but it remains interesting. It's not something I'd describe as exciting, but I'm not sure it needs to be. I'm still forming an opinion on it all.

I suppose I should mention that After Story might lose some of its impact without the context of Clannad. I wouldn't know for sure since I can't erase my memory of the original, but I suppose you could argue the original makes you build a relationship with the characters first.

So while I don't think Clannad is particularly great, it might be necessary to experience the full extent of After Story.

Cheers for that. I am guessing that the payoff from watching the original is being able to enjoy After Story that much more. If I end up watching this I'll assume that it is something I need to be in for the long haul on. Smiley

Can anyone tell me what A Certain Scientific Railgun is like? The funimation site is region-blocked in Australia and I'd like to know what the series is like before going out and buying the box set.

Assuming you mean the 2009 series? I've watched this, a while back. I'd personally be reluctant to recommend it in general, but I'm not saying it's a bad series either. I'd definitely try to find a way to view a couple of the episodes before committing to a purchase. Also, don't judge the series on episode one alone, as it's not really a representative episode. Having said that: There are quite a few funny moments, mostly in the early episodes, mostly revolving around Kuroko. And if you make it that far, episode 24 is fantastic- although you need to have seen everything leading up to it to fully appreciate it.

If you mean the 2013 series, I haven't seen it, so can't really offer an opinion. :/

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:24:30 PM by Garthy » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: September 13, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »

tax

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: September 13, 2015, 11:10:29 PM »

Thanks for that.
Was it slow to start? Or perhaps the initial episodes were just not very interesting? Something else?

Yeah, it was a very very slow start. I usually don't mind them (I love Casshern Sins, Ergo Proxy, Monster, etc.) but in this case, it felt very empty. I remember these two episodes were piling up anime tropes (transfer student, town festival) one after the other, hence me falling asleep. There were hints that all these tropes would shatter to pieces later on, but that doesn't really excuse such a boring start.

Sorry this isn't the most useful review, I mostly posted my initial comment for humor :3
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4971 on: September 17, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »

Thanks for that.

Yeah, it was a very very slow start. I usually don't mind them (I love Casshern Sins, Ergo Proxy, Monster, etc.) but in this case, it felt very empty. I remember these two episodes were piling up anime tropes (transfer student, town festival) one after the other, hence me falling asleep. There were hints that all these tropes would shatter to pieces later on, but that doesn't really excuse such a boring start.

Sorry this isn't the most useful review, I mostly posted my initial comment for humor :3

Not a problem. I've been trying to get as much of an idea about the three anime I listed so that I know roughly what to expect, but not so much that I run into spoilers. Knowing that it starts out slow is good to know. Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: September 17, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigibronyMLP/videos ??

MrBones
« Reply #4973 on: September 19, 2015, 07:24:36 AM »

little late but did anyone else see the early release of One Punch Man's first episode?
LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: September 20, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »

little late but did anyone else see the early release of One Punch Man's first episode?
I already planned to watch the series before seeing the NicoNico raw, but that main fight scene bumped it up in priority for me. That song playing during the fight felt excellent. It reminded me of Ace Combat Assault Horizon's trailer song.

I've been occasionally listening to the music in One Punch Man's

over the past two weeks.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4975 on: September 23, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »

Just finished watching Monster.

A few things to say:

Firstly, it's a great series. Very engaging. The story is quite good and very detailed. The characters are interesting. Some are episodic, swinging into the storyline and then away. Many characters end up returning in later episodes. Characters clash, and approach similar problems in their own way. Actions from some dozens of episodes prior have an impact on later episodes.

In some arcs, even the main character can be away for episodes at a time due to a focus on other characters, and the story remains interesting.

There were a few points where I was honestly confused by the actions of some of the characters, particularly Tenma, but at the end, looking back, they were at least consistent for the most part.

The series is slow-paced, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. However, in the ending arc as everything starts to come together, the pace picks up somewhat. It is hard to stop watching.

The ending was ambiguous and disappointing. I think it fell prey to relying on a confusing and ambiguous ending to provide the illusion of depth. After finishing I had a bit of a read around online and found the usual symptoms: Lots of people claiming they understood the ending, but not elaborating; and those who did elaborate coming up with vastly different explanations. Some of the explanations were quite interesting, and could very well have been feasible. Personally though, relying so heavily on speculation (and the resultant pseudo-intellectual one-upmanship) to fill in the meaning is, IMHO, a major weakness.

Having said that, some additional context was supplied in the ending that did add to the rest of the story.

The series is definitely strong enough to compensate for the less-than-ideal ending and a handful of minor weaknesses. IMHO definitely worth a watch.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: September 23, 2015, 10:30:37 PM »

Does it end before the manga?

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4977 on: September 23, 2015, 10:44:38 PM »

Does it end before the manga?

I haven't read the manga yet- I'm not sure. :}
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4978 on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »

I couldnt keep watching it for whatever reason. The danger soundtrack music and the false pretense of tension pulled me away.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: September 26, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic