Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:18:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPanzer Radio [Beta 1.1]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Panzer Radio [Beta 1.1]  (Read 2501 times)
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2011, 04:31:53 AM »

Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06 Panzer Radio [Beta 1.1] Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06
Play Panzer Radio by clicking here!

Panzer radio is a pacifistic cross between a platformer and a puzzle game.
The goal is to stay alive till help arrives while enemies are at your gates, shooting your bunker to smitherees.
Every level is build up around 2 stages. The build stage and the play stage.

Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06 Build Stage Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06

In this stage of the game you can place materials out of a material pool.
Plan ahead. Spot trouble on the way. Solve this problems by placing the right material
on the right spot. Either defend against impacts on weaker spots or make platforms you
can use to get to new spots.

Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06 Play Stage Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06

The engine start rolling and bullets start flying around your ears.
Control Friedrich von Panzer to the switches and eventually radio for help.
The timer starts for help arrives, now it's just a waiting game... No it's not!
You still need to keep from falling out of your building or getting hit. Because
the building slowly crumbles on every impact.

Help me by commenting on what could change.

Play Panzer Radio by clicking here!

Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06 TODO Pixel 06Pixel 06Pixel 06

• Save and LoadGame / (win a level to get a new level)
  • Options menu
  • Return previously placed blocks after retrying a level
  • Score points by health, amount of materials used, overall Time
  • More Sounds, Better looped music
  • Impact particles
  • A shitload of levels
  • Adjust the contrast of the menu and text

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:41:08 AM by nahkranoth » Logged
hammer_Peter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:12 AM »

Great game! There should be more pacifists games.
It's not easy to get into, because it's not like any other game i have ever played.
But with a bit of patience i got the hang of it and it's actually fun.

The only thing i wonder is why you have chosen to make crap graphics? There is no reason not to pimp it up right?
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »

This game idea is great! But I also think you should put a little bit more of love into those sprites. The building phase is difficult to understand, visually. But seriously, the game is awesome! I really enjoy the building/platforming/strategy mix!

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »

This game idea is great! But I also think you should put a little bit more of love into those sprites. The building phase is difficult to understand, visually. But seriously, the game is awesome! I really enjoy the building/platforming/strategy mix!

A couple of months ago i got an arcade system from a total stranger (thank you mister), i stripped it totaly and build a PC in it, with some nice hardware i connected the joysticks and buttons to the pc, etc. Donkey Kong time was ON!

I was allready busy with the game and had a totally different idea about the graphics (more 'serious' cartoon style). But because i had the arcade machine i wanted to be able to play Panzer Radio on there. (I recoded a lot of controls to work) and also redesigned the graphics to match that arcade feeling more.

I now think that it could have more attention. Not that i should lose the style, but like you say Woodwolf, it needs more love. Thank you for making that clear. Simple is not quick and rushed.

...The building phase is difficult to understand, visually...

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it more understandable? I have seen it so much that i cannot imagine how the buildstage communicates graphicaly to new players. Maybe pull the material selector to another place, usually that place is only for displaying score, time, etc...
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »

pretty cool!

here's my thoughts: (sorry im about to go to bed so I'm being brief)

I didn't understand the differences between all the materials. ok some are stronger than others, but I really think you could boil it down to 3 at most- weak medium strong for example

I noticed some stages didn't give you any materials? I think each and every stage should have a puzzle about where to put blocks, and ideally not just one solution.

I felt some levels I could get the switches quick then I had to spend a long time hiding from bullets.. I reckon it should be more like, once you have the radio on stay alive another 10 seconds or something, rather than 40 in some cases

it's not obvious at first that you'll pass straight through the switch and radio blocks. they look like solid blocks

winning or losing the level should probably take you back to level select, not the splash screen

at least 1 more music track would be appreciated, so you can alternate music between levels and get a bit of variety Smiley. I like the track it just gets samey

if I think of anything more I'll come back tomorrow Smiley
I think all the elements of a good game are in place, they just need some tweaking and streamlining. nice one!
-rich

PS, i know it's built to support a joystick, but adding mouse support would really speed things up- it's just the easiest way to use an editor like that. I'm sure you could have it work both ways.

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:54:58 AM »

Great remarks RichMakeGame!

-Good idea to remove some of the materials. All the steps in between are only confusing and are rarely used.

-Every stage should have materials indeed and should have multiple solutions. I didn't really get into creating levels. It's a skill and a process on it's own (but a verry important one).

-The waiting time should be shortened indeed. I still need to find a way to make it feel you don't have anywhere to go (and need to apply the tactic of spreading bullets).

-I will make the switch and radio blocks solid. Maybe needs some level tempering, but it's more logical. (it's the language i allready speak: Blocks are solid)

-I'm pretty sure i implemented mouse support (for me it works). I just didn't mention it anywhere. But some mouseOvers for the buttons wouldn't hurt.

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 05:07:35 AM »

ahaa, nice one mouse support is already in. You're right, all it really needs then is a simple highlight of click-able items Smiley

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »

Small update:

I did some mouse overs in the menu's (still need to do that for buildmode too) and added that after retry your placed blocks are allready in it's previous position.
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »

I didn't quit this project.
I'm still working on the game.

After some great remarks from people here and some of my friends i decided to spend
some more time at the story, usability and gameplay. I'm rethinking the whole story; i search for a nice concept to justify the gameplay elements, rethinking some of the gameplay elements. I'm trying to make the navigation more user friendly by high lighting buttons etc.
New graphics, more sounds and music.
Also, i implemented a particle explotion effect.

I have allready done a lot after this release, but i don't feel it's ready yet to be showed.

I'm close to a second beta release, i'm only going to bug-fix after that (maybe some verry small adjustments).

Here's a sneak peak of my progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic