Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:26:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkLooking for talented programmers. (Java)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for talented programmers. (Java)  (Read 2710 times)
AlbireoX
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:37 PM »

Hello,

The language of choice is Java, though if you're talented it shouldn't matter. We are using Slick, LWJGL, Artemis, and Kryonet. Our game is based on an Entity-Component pattern as opposed to OOP. It will be an MMO.

Thanks,
Ian
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »

MMO

Java

Quote from: Subforum Title
Unpaid Work

I'm 15.

Best of luck.
AlbireoX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »

Hehehe... I'm just crossing my fingers. Most likely I'll be the sole programmer until I get a good tech demo up.
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »

You will never get an unpaid programmer with that kind of game.

MMO? REALLY?
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »

Have you finished a game before?
Why do you think you have the skills to pull off an MMO at 15?

EDIT: No hate, but you really don't. Haha

ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »

Perhaps they're putting it a bit roughly, but what they're saying is true. MMO's are exceedingly difficult to program, especially for the hundreds (not exaggerating) of folks who want to take one on without much prior experience. Search the forums (hell, search the internet) for folks who've had similar requests, and you'll find that the success rate is around 0 percent.

On top of that, you can hardly ask for willing programmers to work for no pay without having anything to show them (prior projects, current prototypes). And you can hardly expect them to come in droves if your only project description is something as vague as this:
Our MMO game is set in something kind of like the Renaissance. The music won't be renaissance-ish, though. The game will be the opposite of roleplay. Modern will be combined with old. Something like that.

I just don't want anyone to take a project on and then realize 5 months in that they've taken too big a bite. Everyone wants to make their dream game, but trust me when I say project fatigue is exceedingly common amongst developers.

I'm not saying to give it up, I'm just suggesting you set it aside for now.

But I don't know, maybe you're a super genius destined to prove me wrong.  I'd like to hope so.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:33:51 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »

But I don't know, maybe you're a super genius destined to prove me wrong.  I'd like to hope so.

^This would be pretty cool  Cool

AlbireoX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »

But I don't know, maybe you're a super genius destined to prove me wrong.  I'd like to hope so.

^This would be pretty cool  Cool

I think it'd be cool too Smiley

Age doesn't really matter in my opinion when it comes to programming. Also, I have tons of time. I have a computer by me from 8:00 AM to 3:00 AM. Once I figure out this networking stuff, I'll be in business. Smiley While I have never really finished anything standalone, I understand programming pretty well. Maybe I should have waited a bit before posting this thread Smiley oh well.

EDIT: I'd like to add that this community is pretty hostile... Shocked Maybe when my game gets big I'll make a non-hostile game development forum underneath it... haha....
AlbireoX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »

they've taken too big a bite.

This is why I'm going 2d; I tried making a minecraft clone (lol very typical) but the lag of calculating all of this stuff was too hard to understand :p

On the other hand, I understand 2d stuff. All you have to do is image.draw in Slick. For networking, I've already designed a way to transmit data. The hardest part will be the NPCs with their A*, but it shouldn't be as unreachable as OpenGL and my previous project of a FPSRTS.
ink.inc
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »

EDIT: I'd like to add that this community is pretty hostile... Shocked Maybe when my game gets big I'll make a non-hostile game development forum underneath it... haha....

That's just Battlebeard; forgive him, he was never the same after the rat war of 94. Those damn rat bastards...

Anyways, post in the technical subforums if you ever need any help.
AlbireoX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »

That's just Battlebeard; forgive him, he was never the same after the rat war of 94. Those damn rat bastards...

Nah, I prefer Stack Overflow and the forums of the game engine I'm using for help. (I like rep points, haha) I joined this community to find people and to be able to make a devlog Smiley Most likely I won't get any help anyways since this community seems to hate Java with a passion...
ink.inc
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »

Notch,  developer of Minecraft, both uses Java and posts on these forums(though not so much nowadays).

forget it
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:28:32 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »

Nah, I prefer Stack Overflow and the forums of the game engine I'm using for help. (I like rep points, haha) I joined this community to find people and to be able to make a devlog Smiley Most likely I won't get any help anyways since this community seems to hate Java with a passion...
There's no hate going on here. The only 'hate' you sense is exasperation due to the very large amount of young, unexperienced programmers entering our community and asking people to do their work for them for free with overambitious ideas. It's quite tiring, but if you feel you can handle it, by all means, go ahead. We'll support you, but we're just giving a warning now: It's not easy.
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:05:31 AM »

For networking, I've already designed a way to transmit data.
An humble piece of advise from somebody who's also working on a multiplayer game (not a MMO though) : In network games, transmitting data is the simplest thing ever. What is hard is to keep all the games synchronized with each others so the players all see, approximately, the same thing. The latency and the many Internet hazards are working against you on this. Of course it depends a lot of your gameplay. If your game is turn based then there isn't much to worry about, but if you want some real time action then you would better think about how you're going to handle latency and reliability problems before you even start designing your program.

I'm not even talking about cheating and denial of service attempts (hell, why am I trying to make a mulitplayer game, I must be masochist Facepalm ).

Anyway, when making an Internet game, there's something that's even harder than programming, it's called game design. There are tones of MMO out there, as a player, why would I play your MMO ? What's going to make it unique ? What's going to make me want to play it ? There's nothing more depressing than working for few years (no kidding) on a game project and then realize that nobody gives a shit about it.

I'm not saying you can't do your game. I'm pretty sure you can, but you should plan it carefully.
Best of luck.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »

Mods: Could we have a stickied thread on the perils of making an MMO as your first game? That way we can just link to that whenever the topic pops up instead of going through the exact same motions every time.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
AlbireoX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 07:31:52 AM »

For networking, I've already designed a way to transmit data.
Anyway, when making an Internet game, there's something that's even harder than programming, it's called game design. There are tones of MMO out there, as a player, why would I play your MMO ? What's going to make it unique ? What's going to make me want to play it ? There's nothing more depressing than working for few years (no kidding) on a game project and then realize that nobody gives a shit about it.

The reason I started this MMO is because I had a lot of novel ideas for it. And I've already come up with formulas for data transfer. (I'll be sending data for the server to perform trig functions on; the server will send updated positions and velocity every tick, etc.; I've already calculated that 1 million trig functions take 9 ms.) I also already have a team of 2 content developers. We've already come up with some very innovative concepts, like a replacement for a standard HP bar.
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »

Have you finished a game before?
Why do you think you have the skills to pull off an MMO at 15?

EDIT: No hate, but you really don't. Haha
I could argue that odds of pulling of an MMO at an age of 15 is somewhat higher than doing it when you're older, then you're "smart enough" not to even give a try. Sad
Or lack of time, energy and enthusiasm might kick in.

Kids are awesome! So yeah, make an mmo, make a fucking quake 5 for all i care.
(just dont expect anyone to jump on your ship without a playable demo)

Break a leg (or two) and have fun!

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 01:56:13 AM »

In my first week at uni, this guy Paddy organized everyone together. He got a team of 30 or so programmers together, all of them hadn't yet written their first line of code. World of Warcraft took 5 years to create, with around a hundred developers and cost something like half a billion to produce. I forget the proper figures, but needless to say, it's astronomical.

So far, I've cancelled 20 - 25 games, finished 2. I like to think about game development similar to art. Artists don't put out 100% finished paintings, they start with sketches, they sketch many many more times than they paint.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic